The Potential Trading Of McMahon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Potential Trading Of McMahon

Tigers_06 said:
You must be hard marker if Cousins 1.2 skill errors per game are acceptable, while McMahons 1.4 are unacceptable. ::)
You must be a very poor analyser of football if you think one statistic proves a point.

Giardiasis said:
You must be a very poor analyser of football if you think one statistic proves a point.

Why don't people pay attention to smilies anymore? I thought the ::) was a give a way that I was taking the *smile*. Perhaps I should have used the ;) instead.

For those of use who are keen on the potential trade of McMahon:

Meanwhile, St Kilda, which yesterday declared it would not be a big player in next week's player-exchange period, has gone cold on its mid-season interest in Richmond defender Jordan McMahon, who has another season left on a three-year contract.
Source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26143752-5012432,00.html

Looks like he'll be staying on for another season. :mad:

Tigers_06 said:
Why don't people pay attention to smilies anymore? I thought the ::) was a give a way that I was taking the p!ss. Perhaps I should have used the ;) instead.
Fair enough. A smile emoticon ;D would have been better I think.

well looks like the dream is over :'(

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26143752-5013406,00.html

Meanwhile, St Kilda, which yesterday declared it would not be a big player in next week's player-exchange period, has gone cold on its mid-season interest in Richmond defender Jordan McMahon, who has another season left on a three-year contract.

Tiger74 said:

Oh well, time to cut him.

Barnzy said:
Oh well, time to cut him.

thats a $300k cut

can think of a lot of things I'd rather do with $300k than pay McMahon out.

Either trade him, or wait till end of 2010

Tiger74 said:

Must have read PRE >:D

Tiger74 said:
thats a $300k cut

can think of a lot of things I'd rather do with $300k than pay McMahon out.

Either trade him, or wait till end of 2010

We have superstars just jam packed taking up all of our cap space don't we? :hihi

We should have plenty of cap to work with it, it's not like if we keep him we get to spend the 300k on the football department or anything. We also would be rewarding him with another 300k to just squib it up in the 2's....what the hell is the point? Time to cut our losses, admit we made a mistake and get rid of the him. Then we also have another spot on the list to draft in a kid who actually has a shot at making it and contribute to the team.

Barnzy said:
We have superstars just jam packed taking up all of our cap space don't we?  :hihi

I don't know our cap situation at the moment but we've had to do some clever juggling in the past.  Our players mightn't have been superstars, and they've certainly been poorly performed, but they have had very lucrative salaries just the same.  Salary cap space isn't necessarily measured by the talent of the list unfortunately.

Edit..Salary cap space is a different thing to actual $$ to pay the players. $300,000 is way too much money to throw out the window for no good reason.

If Jordan isn't traded he will have to earn his selection same as other players should. If others are better at the role the coaches want him to play he'll be at Coburg. If they're not he'll play seniors.

Barnzy said:
We have superstars just jam packed taking up all of our cap space don't we? :hihi

We should have plenty of cap to work with it, it's not like if we keep him we get to spend the 300k on the football department or anything. We also would be rewarding him with another 300k to just squib it up in the 2's....what the hell is the point? Time to cut our losses, admit we made a mistake and get rid of the him. Then we also have another spot on the list to draft in a kid who actually has a shot at making it and contribute to the team.
Good move ::)
Pay out McMahon=300k
Replace him with a kid=100K[Pick 60+]
Yep thats sound planning

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Good move ::)
Pay out McMahon=300k
Replace him with a kid=100K[Pick 60+]
Yep thats sound planning

Because McMahon is really going to earn that 300k next year squibbing it up in the 2's, amiright? :rofl

We have to pay him the 300k anyways we may aswell get rid of him now and get a kid on the list who has a shot of making it and who might heaven fobid be any good. Effectivley, having to pay only an extra 80-100k or so to get rid of a massive list clogger and replace him with a promising kid. Would think that's pretty good planning.

rosy23 said:
I don't know our cap situation at the moment but we've had to do some clever juggling in the past. Our players mightn't have been superstars, and they've certainly been poorly performed, but they have had very lucrative salaries just the same. Salary cap space isn't necessarily measured by the talent of the list unfortunately.

Edit..Salary cap space is a different thing to actual $$ to pay the players. $300,000 is way too much money to throw out the window for no good reason.

If Jordan isn't traded he will have to earn his selection same as other players should. If others are better at the role the coaches want him to play he'll be at Coburg. If they're not he'll play seniors.

A massive amount of space will come with Johnson, Brown and half of Joels salary not included.

WesternTiger said:
A massive amount of space will come with Johnson, Brown and half of Joels salary not included.

Yes but as I said salary cap isn't the issue here.  We still have a big debt despite being on the right track to service it.  I don't think it would be prudent to throw away $300,000 to get rid of a player who at worst would add depth and keep others honest.

I can't see any reason whatsoever that would justify such a waste of so much money.

rosy23 said:

Not it's not. You get a limit for your salary cap you have to at least hit the minimum of 92.5% IIRC. If we keep McMahon, we don't get to keep the 300k or spend it on other areas like football department funding.

rosy23 said:
How about you pay him out then Barnzy because the club certainly won't delist him.

I would if I could but that's not how the salary cap works I'm afraid, Rosy.

Barnzy said:
Because McMahon is really going to earn that 300k next year squibbing it up in the 2's, amiright? :rofl

We have to pay him the 300k anyways we may aswell get rid of him now and get a kid on the list who has a shot of making it and who might heaven fobid be any good. Effectivley, having to pay only an extra 80-100k or so to get rid of a massive list clogger and replace him with a promising kid. Would think that's pretty good planning.
Would you rather Mcmahon sitting around on the couch and getting 300K or actually being made to earn it via Training and albiet Coburg?