The Potential Trading Of McMahon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Potential Trading Of McMahon

Freezer said:
Physical contact and endeavour isn't limited to tackling.

I would agree with that, just wondering if people would agree that McMahon attempting to lay over 2 tackles a game (not all are effective) would indicate that he isn't entirely against physical contact.

Again I'm not defending McMahon, I want him gone as much as the next bloke. I'm just trying to understand the thinking of the average Tigers fan. To me it just seems like once a scapegoat is identified by the fans, the vast majority will just jump in and tow the company line, so to speak. Over the last 3-5 years I've seen Tivendale cop it, then when he was dumped, Pettifer was the one who copped it and now that he is gone it seems that McMahon is the scapegoat of choice. Wonder who will be next once McMahon is moved on.

Ian4 said:
this thread has turned bin and should be locked. why are we even bothering to debate mcmahon? he's a dud, he's a squib, he's bin. even the man defending him (tigers_06) is advocating he be dumped. let's stop debating his ability and just hope to hell we can find a way to offload him.

Why do you always feel the need to judge threads Ian? If the thread is no good it'll fall into the abyss soon enough. There's no need for you to do anything other than ignore it if you think it's no good.

Disco08 said:
Why do you always feel the need to judge threads Ian? If the thread is no good it'll fall into the abyss soon enough. There's no need for you to do anything other than ignore it if you think it's no good.

Maybe because it gives another opportunity to use the word "bin"?

Tigers_06 said:
To me it just seems like once a scapegoat is identified by the fans, the vast majority will just jump in and tow the company line, so to speak. Over the last 3-5 years I've seen Tivendale cop it, then when he was dumped, Pettifer was the one who copped it and now that he is gone it seems that McMahon is the scapegoat of choice. Wonder who will be next once McMahon is moved on.

Before that it was Joel. The funny thing when there is a strong dislike of a player any good attributes are often ignored. For example Jordy's skills are rubbished but it was a beautiful kick for the winning goal against the Dees. On the other hand some think Ben Cousins is supreme but they don't mention him getting caught and hand balling direct to the opposition, and sometimes costing us goals. Not for one second inferring they are similar players of course but they are good examples of a favoured one not being singled out for doing wrong compared to someone less fancied rarely being credited for doing any good.

If Jordan isn't traded I hope he can really step up under the new coach.

rosy23 said:
Before that it was Joel. The funny thing when there is a strong dislike of a player any good attributes are often ignored. For example Jordy's skills are rubbished but it was a beautiful kick for the winning goal against the Dees. On the other hand some think Ben Cousins is supreme but they don't mention him getting caught and hand balling direct to the opposition, and sometimes costing us goals. Not for one second inferring they are similar players of course but they are good examples of a favoured one not being singled out for doing wrong compared to someone less fancied rarely being credited for doing any good.

Yeah and that was the kick that cost us potentially nabbing Scully and giving the Dee's their P.P, making the trade even worse. I hope he never plays again.

Barnzy said:
Yeah and that was the kick that cost us potentially nabbing Scully and giving the Dee's their P.P.....

Absolute rubbish. If Melbourne won and they wanted to tank they only had to lose to Fremantle two weeks later.

Bit off topic guys but wasn't sure whether it deserved it's own thread, but any interest here in Marcus Drum? He has walked out on the Dockers apparently. Was a pretty talented junior IIRC and would still only be 21-22.

rosy23 said:

So you cannot see why one gets favoured over the other? I must be truly watching another game.

If we are picking on Ben Cousins for skill errors we are in deep trouble.

strachanie19 said:
saints got a first hand look at what it takes to win a flag. any thoughts of taking a softie like mcmahon went out the window last saturday.
Then why are they letting the Luke Ball saga continue?

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Then why are they letting the Luke Ball saga continue?
Because he is shot and doesn't get enough pill.

Hard tackling isn't everything.

IanG said:
22 disposals on less than 50% game time in the grand final I think.
Yeh that was one of his best games in ages. Even so he is on the wane and his disposal is pretty ordinary. Thats why Saints have started dropping him.

I'm not suprised they are playing hard ball with him. I wouldn't want the tiges to chase him even tho his type is exactly what we need. He's the sort of guy who may fade very quickly.

Tigerbob said:
So you cannot see why one gets favoured over the other? I must be truly watching another game.

If we are picking on Ben Cousins for skill errors we are in deep trouble.

Not sure of your question in relation to my comments. I didn't allude in any way to not seeing why one is favoured over another. I made it clear I wasn't comparing the 2 as players and just using a couple of examples for the point I was making. I certainly wasn't "picking on" Ben for his skill errors. Have you noticed him caught out at times and handball to the opposition? If not you may well have been watching a different game. If so why would you think mention of it is picking on him?

rosy23 said:
Not sure of your question in relation to my comments. I didn't allude in any way to not seeing why one is favoured over another. I made it clear I wasn't comparing the 2 as players and just using a couple of examples for the point I was making. I certainly wasn't "picking on" Ben for his skill errors. Have you noticed him caught out at times and handball to the opposition? If not you may well have been watching a different game. If so why would you think mention of it is picking on him?
Point being people don't give Cousins a hard time for skill errors because they are the exception rather than the rule. McMahon on the other hand continually turns the ball over, and so naturally people flog him for it. Of course some players will be whipping boys while others will be given an easier ride that's just human nature.

Anyway it didn't sound like corn on the cob was suggesting you were picking on him, he was pointing out that it is fairly obvious as to why people don't pick on Cousins for isolated skill errors.

Giardiasis said:
Point being people don't give Cousins a hard time for skill errors because they are the exception rather than the rule. McMahon on the other hand continually turns the ball over, and so naturally people flog him for it. Of course some players will be whipping boys while others will be given an easier ride that's just human nature.

Anyway it didn't sound like corn on the cob was suggesting you were picking on him, he was pointing out that it is fairly obvious as to why people don't pick on Cousins for isolated skill errors.

You must be hard marker if Cousins 1.2 skill errors per game are acceptable, while McMahons 1.4 are unacceptable. ::)

Disco08 said:

yeah but the world revolves around me and the crowd is always calling for my 2 cents worth 8)

tigertim said:
Maybe because it gives another opportunity to use the word "bin"?

that too TT, but you never answered the q i asked you the other day bin man

rosy23 said:
And then continue to discuss the topic anyway. :hihi

speaking of q's i'm yet to receive a resonse to, i havent forgottten that you are still yet to respond to the point i made to you a few weeks ago re where we play our home games. i'm not gonna let you off that easily Rosy.

rosy23 said:

I calculated statistics of errors per uncontested possession ie under no pressure the other day and Ben Cousins had the lowest error rate in the whole team. Every player will cough up the ball under immense pressure, especially at the Tigers where shepherding and communication often seems to be an issue. McMahon was nowhere near the worst fort that stat mind you but doesn't touch Cousins for consistency of disposal. I can't ever see Cousins being a whipping boy as he has tremendous skill and work ethic and is hard at the ball.

I agree certain types of players, usually outside runners are the targets of supporters. In a good team, the McMahon outside player types are absolutely required.

Ian4 said:
yeah but the world revolves around me and the crowd is always calling for my 2 cents worth 8)

that too TT, but you never answered the q i asked you the other day bin man

speaking of q's i'm yet to receive a resonse to, i havent forgottten that you are still yet to respond to the point i made to you a few weeks ago re where we play our home games. i'm not gonna let you off that easily Rosy.

I havent answered coz I havent seen the question. Sorry. Can you ask me again?