The Lucky Country soap box | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Lucky Country soap box

I don't think the values attributed here to Australians are unique to our antipodean home. All over the world communities pull together when times are tough. Labelling it as Australian (or the odious vomit-inducing un_Australian) is insulting. That said I love my second home and I am not as pessimistic as some about the direction we are headed. I tend to think that most of the negative stuff comes from our media. Good news doesn't sell and many of our news broadcasters have begun to adopt the American (particulalrly FOX) style of sensationalism and inflammatory language and rhetoric.

Luck is what you make it. We live in a great country with great resources and a progressive democracy, but we are not activists by nature. We don't even really participate in that democracy (look at the size of the informal vote in the last election). We have a fantastic home but it can only stay great or become greater if we actually participate.

two-bob

KnightersRevenge said:
Labelling it as Australian (or the odious vomit-inducing un_Australian) is insulting.

Seems you are easily insulted then. I don't think anyone has claimed any of the virtues mentioned here are exclusive to Australia just the same.

rosy23 said:
Seems you are easily insulted then. I don't think anyone has claimed any of the virtues mentioned here are exclusive to Australia just the same.

I don't think I am easily insulted, but I find that kind of thing it is not uncommon in this type of discussion, you don't?

KnightersRevenge said:
I don't think I am easily insulted, but I find that kind of thing it is not uncommon in this type of discussion, you don't?

Not sure why you ask me that. How does that kind of thing being not uncommon relate to being insulted by the comments?

rosy23 said:
Not sure why you ask me that. How does that kind of thing being not uncommon relate to being insulted by the comments?

I ask only because I don't understand your confusion? I mentioned it was common only because although I know no-one had brought it up yet I felt it was relevant. You don't think it is common for people to talk about the way communities pulled together during the bushfires or the floods as the "Australian" way? I'm sure there are Indonesian communities pulling together to get through the floods. And New Zealanders doing the same in Christchurch. Are they exhibiting "Australian" values? I didn't say anyone had insulted me and remain quite un-insulted. I said the use of the phrase un-Australian is insulting as is the attributing of general human altruism to some idea of peculiar Australian values and that while neither you (nor others) might have made that connection just yet I wouldn't be surprised if people did. As I said it is not uncommon in this type of thread.
While I applaud your examples my point is that this is not unique to Australia (the lucky country of the title of this thread). It is not because we Australians or that we are in Australia that makes these things possible, but because we are humans.

KnightersRevenge said:
While I applaud your examples my point is that this is not unique to Australia (the lucky country of the title of this thread). It is not because we Australians or that we are in Australia that makes these things possible, but because we are humans.

Nobody has indicated it is "unique" to Australians. I mentioned it because it is my experience as an Australian. I wouldn't have a clue how Indonesian communities pull together but if I was Indonesian, and found the reaction was similar, I would talk about it from an Indonesian perspective. That wouldn't be saying it was exclusive to Indonesia.

If you find that insulting, considering the context of the thread is being thankful of the country I was born in, you must have a blessed life with little to worry about. Good luck to you. :)

KnightersRevenge said:
I don't think the values attributed here to Australians are unique to our antipodean home. All over the world communities pull together when times are tough. Labelling it as Australian (or the odious vomit-inducing un_Australian) is insulting.

Yeah that term 'un-Australian' is as silly as it sounds but I don't think it's expressed in any other country. It's just a modern slang we all use here.

rosy23 said:
Nobody has indicated it is "unique" to Australians. I mentioned it because it is my experience as an Australian. I wouldn't have a clue how Indonesian communities pull together but if I was Indonesian, and found the reaction was similar, I would talk about it from an Indonesian perspective. That wouldn't be saying it was exclusive to Indonesia.

If you find that insulting, considering the context of the thread is being thankful of the country I was born in, you must have a blessed life with little to worry about. Good luck to you. :)
I know that Rosy and I acknowledged that no one had yet to bring it up but I raised it as I find it common when we discuss this type of patriotism, especially in newspapers. As I said I wasn't and am not personally insulted. Some people don't see the distinction between patriotism and nationalism. I find, and I agree with Keating in his recent interview on ABC radio, that in general patriotism is generous and inclusive while nationalism is biggoted and exclusive. It is sometimes a fine line and some cross it quite easily. I wasn't suggesting that you or any one else had done so in this discussion.

KnightersRevenge said:
As I said I wasn't and am not personally insulted.

It's still your personal judgement/opinion that it's insulting. I doubt too many would see it that way.

Interesting the context of "un-Australian".

In the U.S., the context of "un-American" conjures images of its over-use during the McCarthy era of the 50s.

In fact, the then users of the term "un-American" are now seen as those who threatened U.S. democracy far greater than any who were labelled as "un-American".

Phantom said:

In the U.S., the context of "un-American" conjures images of its over-use during the McCarthy era of the 50s.

In fact, the then users of the term "un-American" are now seen as those who threatened U.S. democracy far greater than any who were labelled as "un-American".

McCarthy era....hmmm interesting......you'd be a great conversationalist Phanto.........but I can't be bothered conversating on here with my fingers.

I reckon that 'un-Australian' is just a slang term with a meaning as ambiguous as that ever popular 'LOL'. ;D

KnightersRevenge said:
I thought that was what these forums were all about? Opinions.

Yep of course. Not sure why you question that. These forums are also about discussing those opinions.

I was just trying to understand what you meant by your comments below considering you chose to put a negative slant on what I considered a positive thread.

I struggle to see what was insulting, how it was insulting and/or who was insulted.

KnightersRevenge said:
Labelling it as Australian (or the odious vomit-inducing un_Australian) is insulting.

KnightersRevenge said:
I didn't say anyone had insulted me and remain quite un-insulted.

KnightersRevenge said:
As I said I wasn't and am not personally insulted.

rosy23 said:
Yep of course. Not sure why you question that. These forums are also about discussing those opinions.

I was just trying to understand what you meant by your comments below considering you chose to put a negative slant on what I considered a positive thread.

I struggle to see what was insulting, how it was insulting and/or who was insulted.
I think I have been very clear that no-one has been insulting. I brought up the term because it has a context in discussions of Australian values as I believe this is. I am perhaps playing devil's advocate. In a world where all people have the capacity for and most a propensity towards altruism I think it is insulting to the intelligence to put a nationalstic label on it. I am not saying that anyone did in this discussion, just that they often do.

Glad you cleared that up. You're not insulted. I'm not insulted. I doubt anyone posting here is insulted, at least they haven't said so. I just hope the person whose intelligence is insulted doesn't read PRE. :blah

Phantom said:

God how I hate that term.

Little Johnny Howard slung off the "un-Australian" immediately after the NSW member of parliament for Cabramatta, John Newman was assassinated. Sure everyone knew right from word go who rubbed him out, but that term coming from that little rat just smacked of racial stereotype and bigotry.

The *smile* expensive country.

Even if I ignore the FX hit, prices in Melbourne seem to have risen a fair bit over the last year or two. Or maybe I'm just taken more notice. Either way, I'm gobsmacked by the high cost of everything.