The Lucky Country soap box | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Lucky Country soap box

It isn't just here that is the lucky country. Based on historical living standards, anyone living in a developed economy is amongst the luckiest humans to live.

Baloo said:
Australians have become wingers

Wingers? Yes we plenty of those types, half back flankers too. You are really confusing me now - you sure it was Australia you have been re-visiting?

jb03 said:
Wingers? Yes we plenty of those types, half back flankers too. You are really confusing me now - you sure it was Australia you have been re-visiting?
:)

jb03 said:

Aussie are way too heavy these days to be Wingers.

Baloo, your comments remind me of a girl I went to school with who had Greek parents. They'd contantly be harping on at her and her brother that in Greece, teenagers respected their parents, people worked harder, they had less but were happy with what they had etc etc etc. When she was in her early 20s, she went to Greece for a holiday and found a much different place than she had been told about because the Greece her parents went on about was the Greece of the 1950s when they left, not the Greece of modern times.

I'm sure Australia is quite different to 20 years ago but so is the rest of the world. We've still got it good comparatively.

Total Tiger said:
Baloo, your comments remind me of a girl I went to school with who had Greek parents. They'd contantly be harping on at her and her brother that in Greece, teenagers respected their parents, people worked harder, they had less but were happy with what they had etc etc etc. When she was in her early 20s, she went to Greece for a holiday and found a much different place than she had been told about because the Greece her parents went on about was the Greece of the 1950s when they left, not the Greece of modern times.

I'm sure Australia is quite different to 20 years ago but so is the rest of the world. We've still got it good comparatively.

My parents are Italian so I can easily relate to what you greek friend experienced.

But it's a bit different now. The interweb and cheaper airfares mean it's easier to stay in touch with home. Add in that I was sent, for my sins, to work in Sydney for 2 years in 2003 and I reckon there isn't too much in common between where I am com ing from and your friends greek parents are coming from.

Tigers of Old said:
You live in Legoland. ;D

:hihi Not quite but you have a valid point. It's a fairly safe country here and all the shop keepers are sooooo friendly to me until they realise I'm not a tourist.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Agree with everything else in your post Rosella except the above.
We are turning into a nation of whinging softies,Led by our so called Leaders at both Federal and state level on all sides of the fence.

It depends how you look at it I suppose Jonno.

My experience is when the chips are down most will stick together.

Some examples

I went through from Flowerdale to Whittlesea when the roads were still closed after the fires. I saw a forensic team at a burned house that's gate was covered in police tape. Not that long after I drove by and along with the flowers on the gate there was an Aussie flag. There were dozens of Aussie flags in front of the properties along the road. Heaps of people put in time helping those affected. Strangers were offered spare rooms in people's houses, groups of volunteers replaced fencing, hay was dumped in paddocks where the stock obviously had nothing to eat. Those who'd lost plenty put their orn grief aside to help others. Of course there is a seedier side. Some people start fires, some falsely claim compensation, some loot. I think they are a minority. There was/is a massive mentality of we're proudly Australian and we'll stick together.

A friend had a car accident not long after her husband suddenly died. She didn't have the means to replace her car so we organised a fund raising for her. Many generous people contributed in many ways, and not all of them knew her, and it wasn't long before we presented her with a near new car. Of course some exercised their right to question the cause and not participate but overall there was a massive feeling of people wanting to help.

When ladies are left widowed here they are looked after with loads of wood etc.

There is a lot of good in people when others' are down and out.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of the tough getting going from a political aspect but yet again if we're balanced we'd find they do plenty of good but the bad gets highlighted.

I wonder how people form the opinion that we're a nation of whingers. I think it's more a matter of empty cans making the most noise. It's the same on this forum. Plenty choose to rubbish and bag RFC and the players and make a lot of noise about it. I think, yet again, they'd be a small minority of the supporter base and most would be more supportive.

It might be a matter of whether we have a glass half full or glass half empty mindset. I'd prefer to focus on the good in people and am proud of how, even if it's only my perception, we stick together when needed.

They are some really good stories Rosie. By and large I agree that most Australians are fairly community-minded and resilient. I just hope these sorts of acts still occur in 50 or 100 years' time.

IMO these days we are being taught that it's all about 'me, me, me'; our pollies being perfect role-models in that regard.

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.

mld said:
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.

There was a meeting of some banking institution yesterday, not sure which one.

The hypothesis that they gave was that the world was now indicating the same parameters that it showed prior to WWI.

Banking policy in Australia reflects that of the world.
A few years ago, a building developer had to pre-sell 50% to receive 95% base finance, with another 5% mezzanine.
Today, a building developer has to pre-sell 95% to receive 50% base finance, needing another 50% mezzanine.
And I've heard banks aren't lending to each other either.
A giant credit crunch that will send Australia and the world into a massive depression.

Some years ago, without the economic parameters built in, I posted that in world history, over 50 years was the usual cycle between major military conflicts.
It would seem that some world view is coming in line with this.

On a brighter note, I watched a great TED Talk on how to limit world population through prosperity by Hans Rosling.
http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_on_global_population_growth.html
The challenge will be whether we can put the current crisis aside for the greater good.
At this point, unlikely.

And, now, as most of Australia is struggling to make ends meet, our 'beloved' politicians receive a 30% pay rise.
And Gillard now gets paid more than Obama and Cameron.

At the same time, massive budget cuts hit education and health.

My goodness!

i agree that we are amongst the luckiest people to have ever lived.
But that won't stop me from complaining that the overnight motel doesn't have vegemite sachets for my brekky.
Poor form. ;)

IMO the veneer of prosperity produced by the mining boom is masking serious social fissures. This country is far less united than it appears to be, and has been in the past.