The Lack of Talls on Our List (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Lack of Talls on Our List (Merged)

Re: David Astbury our third pick

Tigerbob said:
What about Vickery and Post?

Riewoldt, Vickery and Post look really good.

Rance was a good get at that stage of the draft, I still think he will make it, so does Hardwick.

He was in the job for 5 minutes in 2005, Greg Miller still has rights to that draft so a bit harsh on him to judge Hughes.

Gourdis was a PSD pick who was known as a risk and would need development, if you saw any Coburg games you would have seen the strides he has made, not bad for a kid picked that late.

Griffiths and Astbury look fantastic so far, and I expect them to make a big impression on our football club.

I think he has done extremely well. We'll see in the near future though won't we.
oh dear here we go getting all defensive again. sheesh i thought i mentioned post and vickery. wait a minute i did. ::) i put them where they should be considering they have only been around 12 months and the time frame is way to early to make a call, thought i explained that as well.wait a min i did.
now where did i place vickery and post oh yeah development that not good enough for you bob.well thats tough. after just one yr they are development and it is to early to be pencilling them in come see me in two yrs time i might join your feel good band on them. oh do i think they look promising, hell yeah . re they established hell no lets not put the cart in front of the horse again eh.
just to finish with picks 24 13 8 26 18 19 35 one would expect a few to come home to roost now wouldnt we. one already has imo.

yep we will indeed see wont we.

oh can you tll me if you think just 12 talls talls good list structure. can you tell me if just 2 established talls is good enough

the claw said:
24 13 8 26 18 19 35

Is that all the picks Jackson's used on talls in the last 4 drafts? Geez, anyone could be forgiven for thinking he and others see the problem and are trying to fix it.

Disco08 said:
Is that all the picks Jackson's used on talls in the last 4 drafts? Geez, anyone could be forgiven for thinking he and others see the problem and are trying to fix it.
last 5 drafts. and when one considers where the talls have been at he may fix the problem at the rate hes going by 2020.

the claw said:
oh dear here we go getting all defensive again. sheesh i thought i mentioned post and vickery. wait a minute i did. ::) i put them where they should be considering they have only been around 12 months and the time frame is way to early to make a call, thought i explained that as well.wait a min i did.
now where did i place vickery and post oh yeah development that not good enough for you bob.well thats tough.do i think they look promising hell yeah .
just to finish with picks 24 13 8 26 18 19 35 one would expect a few to come home to roost now wouldnt we.

yep we will indeed see wont we.

But the way you are talking you place the term as "development" as a bad thing.

You said you don't trust any of them, did you not get impressed by the way Vickery and Post played in a disastrous season? Why not trust them coming good. As per usual you contradict yourself in the one post.

Your looking at this as you usually do. With tainted glasses.

I am saying, the talls Francis have taken have been good. He hasn't been helped by the selections he has been given and traded away, but I think the quality of our talls is very good. Very good.

Mate call it defensive, call it whatever you want, the fact remains someone needs to post positive, factual stuff about these players, and the fact remains you don't have access to a) watch these kids as juniors frequently, and b) don't get to watch them develop at Coburg. So in saying all that, I will stand against your stance as I have a) seen these kids as juniors, and b) watch every Coburg game to see them develop. Coburg like Richmond was a disaster zone last season, I watched for how they reacted, their skill improvement, and many more factors. It was no surprise to see Rance, Post and Vickery play seniors and the delistings were of no surprise.

I rate Riewoldt, Vickery, Post, Gourdis, Astbury, Griffiths and Rance higher than you do. Call it defensive but I think the quality is there with these guys.

the claw said:
last 5 drafts. and when one considers where the talls have been at he may fix the problem at the rate hes going by 2020.

So, aside from the obvious one (JON, which no one seems to be able to prove was anything other than a Greg Miller special), which early picks would you have liked to have seen him use on KPP? Perhaps Mackenzie instead of Edwards (I agree and have since it happened) but what else? Someone else instead of Cotchin? Martin? Seriously, what more could you want him to do?

Disco08 said:

Out of how many selections Disco? And that is actually 5 drafts 04-09 ;)

I think you will find we've gone 11 of 31 ND selections on talls in that time - definitely an increase on 1998-2003 period and possibly a higher ratio than most other clubs. And, using earlier selections. Just hope they have a good strike rate.

By my count (sticking to the drafts we're certain were left up to Jackson as most evidence seems to suggest Miller had a lot to do with the 05 draft) as far as I can tell Jackson's used 5 out of 8 first or second round picks on talls.

Disco08 said:
So, aside from the obvious one (JON, which no one seems to be able to prove was anything other than a Greg Miller special), which early picks would you have liked to have seen him use on KPP? Perhaps Mackenzie instead of Edwards (I agree and have since it happened) but what else? Someone else instead of Cotchin? Martin? Seriously, what more could you want him to do?

Also take into account claw will have the benefit of hindsight here.

The 2005 draft should not be viewed as a Francis Jackson Draft.

From 2006 onwards is when Francis has had full control of recruiting. He should be judged on that.

The 2006 draft is so far turning out very good, if Connors, Edwards and Collins continue to develop it will be a super draft. Riewoldt is the best KPP taken in my opinion. He is an A grader. Bonafide future star.

The 2007 Draft if Cotchin gets right it makes it look so much better. Rance was a great get at the pick we got him at and I feel he will still be a player for us despite the ferals already ruling him out in his second season - after a head injury - which was one of the bravest things I have seen on a footy field. Putt is gone, which is a shame, but he had all the tools, just was too timid. I was waiting for him to explode at Coburg, just never wanted it enough. Then David Gourdis in the PSD. Halfway through this season he was blitzing Coburg. Was an unstoppable force. Looks good on the training track. Plenty more to come from him, we all knew with him, it was a project.

The 2008 Draft - the three selections he was given, Vickery and Post look like stars of the future, KPP all the same. Post was a little bit of a surprise, but didn't look out of place at all. Hislop I like, but he has to get on his bike to stay on the list. Also Andrew Browne should not be forgotten in our discussion. I have high hopes for him. Great footy brain. Training well at the minute too and will be given every chance by Dimma! Robin Nahas was an inspired selection, and of course, Ben Cousins brings so much to the club.

The 2009 Draft will make Frank. Martin is a superstar. A complete midfielder if I have ever seen one. Griffiths is a monster that will become even bigger, his skill and athletic qualities make me smile for whats in store in the future. Astbury is KPP talent who they love, Taylor, Dae, Webberley and Nason round out good selections who have above average kicking and decision making skills. As I said, we will remember this draft fondly. It ain't over yet either with a PSD pick to come.

As Disco says, what else did you want him to do?

Gradual improvement in natural skills of draftees from 2006 onwards should show the upward trend quite clearly.

Re: PSD pick 2?

late ND picks, PSD and rookie draft picks is the place to gamble on talls.

Talls more so than other players can develop at different rates taking a few with these picks each year gives u every chance you can stumble upon diamonds in the rough.

I did a analysis of ruckman last year to show how many good big guys come from late picks/PSD or Rookie draft.

Rookie and Preseason Drafts
M.Jamar (02)
T.Simmonds (99)
A.Sandilands (03)
D.Cox (00)
J.Griffin (06)
D.Brogan (99)
D.Jolly (01)
R.Campbell (01)

High 1st rd picks
J.Fraser p1 (99)
B.Ottens p2 (97)
M.Kreuzer p1 (07)
M.Leunberger p4 (06)
J.White p1 (94)
M.Gardiner p1 (96)
J.Koschitzke p2 (00)

Other 1st Rounds
D.Hale p7 (01)
H.Mcintosh p9 (02)
P.Ryder p7 (05)
J.Laycock p10 (02)
A.Pattison p16 (04)
S.Hampson p17 (06)
C.Wood p18 (04)

2nd Rounds
D.Petrie p23 (00)
P.Johnson p24 (02)
W.Minson p20 (02)
P.Street p17 (98)
M.Seaby p22 (01)
K.Tippett p32 (06)
F.Deluca p35 (04)
J.Charman p29 (00)
C.Ackland p27 (99)
B.Renouf p24 (06)

3rd round and lower
D.Hille p40 (99)
B.Hudson p58 (03)
B.Moran p58 (04)
I.Maric p40 (04)
C.Byran p73 (04)
S.Taylor p53 (04)
R.Warnock p42 (05)
M.Blake p38 (Father-Son 03)
C.Cloke p43 (Father-Son 02)

Other
R.Biglands (Zone Concession 96)
B.Lade (Zone Concession 96)
P.Everitt (St Kilda Zone 92?)
S.King (Compensation Pick 94)

I did some research into Key Position Players too the main thing i found is alot of defenders come through the Rookie draft.
Not as many Forwards but certainly a few.

Guys like Temel/Panos/Hill/Thompson/Donaldson/Grimes etc should certainly be considered. Ill let the club decide since they seem to have a system. (Not sure im convinced that this disposal efficentcy system is the be all and end all. We certainly wouldnt have drafted Richo with it.)

I would actually like us to take 3 Talls in the rookie draft with at least one being a defender but lets wait and see what the club does.

BangorTiger said:
Guys like Temel/Panos/Hill/Thompson/Donaldson/Grimes etc should certainly be considered. Ill let the club decide since they seem to have a system. (Not sure im convinced that this disposal efficentcy system is the be all and end all. We certainly wouldnt have drafted Richo with it.)

I would actually like us to take 3 Talls in the rookie draft with at least one being a defender but lets wait and see what the club does.

"BangorTiger" is an anagram of "Tango Ribger"

Tigerbob said:
Also take into account claw will have the benefit of hindsight here.

Claw will name 2 or 3 players that HE would have taken with any particular pick, and subsequently he can look back with the benefit of hindsight and pick out the best of his optionsof the many named, and further proof that he is a better judge of talent than the entire Richmond recruiting team.

Re: Permission to train list

IanG said:
That doesn't follow, they are the same height as Cale Morton and he is never going to be a KPP.

You've just read that those players of 190/191 are actually tall running players so they cannot be treated as KPPs like you are doing.

Since when do you class a growing 18yo of over 190cm as someone who can't potentially be a KPP because they can run. Gee we have loads of them we've been playing as KPP. McGuane, Moore, Bowden, Thursfield, Polak. Yeah none of them are true KPP which sort of comes back to the point that we are desperately short of KPPs.

Back to those two guys, who are you to judge that they cant be potential KPPs in the future purely because they can run? The point is Adelaide had 15 over 190s on their list yet they still chose 4 more in the draft (and the rookie an PSD drafts arent yet complete). What does that logically tell you? That Adelaide are banking up on tall half back flankers? I don't think so.

BangorTiger said:
late ND picks, PSD and rookie draft picks is the place to gamble on talls.

If that's the case then the Tigers have it all upside down last couple of drafts we're we've used Pick1 and 2 last year and picks 2 and 3 this year on talls. We should have not recruited any and just left them for the late and rookie drafts. Obviously that is folly. I am very happy that we have used high picks for talls over the last 3 seasons or so. Very glad. The argument of some is that we should we should be drafting a few more at the lower picks to address our obvious lack of mature, quality talls. A little like the loading of midfielders from 2004 where we had a massive deficiency. No-one was saying in 2004 that we should be drafting flankers instead of midfielders because we are deficient in them too. Why? Because the midfielders are of most importance. Second come the KPPs. Flankers can be found alot easier.

Overall, pretty happy with the progress but desperately need to address all our key positions and ensure we have insurance for any that fail to mature and make it.

Re: Matthew Dea taken at pick 44

Tango said:
And i know we couldnt replace them all in one go but we should have taken at least 4 talls in the ND IMO regardless of how speculative they are/were,

I love your posts Tango but the club can't recruit blokes who can't play, no matter where they are on the tape measure

Re: Matthew Dea taken at pick 44

DirtyDogTiger said:
I love your posts Tango but the club can't recruit blokes who can't play, no matter where they are on the tape measure

yes understand where you are coming from but at pick 71 whos says you can play whether your small or tall?

one has a track record in U18 series and Grand finals and the other in the SANFL reserves? both are risky IMO

GoodOne said:
If that's the case then the Tigers have it all upside down last couple of drafts we're we've used Pick1 and 2 last year and picks 2 and 3 this year on talls. We should have not recruited any and just left them for the late and rookie drafts. Obviously that is folly. I am very happy that we have used high picks for talls over the last 3 seasons or so. Very glad. The argument of some is that we should we should be drafting a few more at the lower picks to address our obvious lack of mature, quality talls. A little like the loading of midfielders from 2004 where we had a massive deficiency. No-one was saying in 2004 that we should be drafting flankers instead of midfielders because we are deficient in them too. Why? Because the midfielders are of most importance. Second come the KPPs. Flankers can be found alot easier.

Overall, pretty happy with the progress but desperately need to address all our key positions and ensure we have insurance for any that fail to mature and make it.
here here well said ive said nothing different but look at the angst its caused.

Tigerbob said:
But the way you are talking you place the term as "development" as a bad thing.

You said you don't trust any of them, did you not get impressed by the way Vickery and Post played in a disastrous season? Why not trust them coming good. As per usual you contradict yourself in the one post.

Your looking at this as you usually do. With tainted glasses.

I am saying, the talls Francis have taken have been good. He hasn't been helped by the selections he has been given and traded away, but I think the quality of our talls is very good. Very good.

Mate call it defensive, call it whatever you want, the fact remains someone needs to post positive, factual stuff about these players, and the fact remains you don't have access to a) watch these kids as juniors frequently, and b) don't get to watch them develop at Coburg. So in saying all that, I will stand against your stance as I have a) seen these kids as juniors, and b) watch every Coburg game to see them develop. Coburg like Richmond was a disaster zone last season, I watched for how they reacted, their skill improvement, and many more factors. It was no surprise to see Rance, Post and Vickery play seniors and the delistings were of no surprise.

I rate Riewoldt, Vickery, Post, Gourdis, Astbury, Griffiths and Rance higher than you do. Call it defensive but I think the quality is there with these guys.
when i said i dont trust any of them i was speaking about cameron, jackson and the footy dept.i thought that would be plain.

your not the only one who has high hopes for all those you mentioned.its not all gloom and doom im just being realistic.
apart from jack who i do rate and have placed in the made it category or will make it category, i have placed the rest in development where they belong.
those i dont rate at all i have stated so.

i ask again how many definate long term propisitions do we have. how many do we need. logic says not all of those 7 you mention are going to make it the percentages tell us this.
taking an average and working to the percentages im allowing for 3 of those 7 to fail. if they do where are we at.when planning this is where im coming from.we have to allow for misses even if they dont happen.

you do have it over me when we talk recruiting etc ive never stated any different. but list structure is something we can all look at for ourselves.
i will say again all i have done is follow what has made most other clubs successful and applied it to us.

i keep on saying im aiming at 16 talls who are either established decent afl players or players of whom i can reasonably say will be long term players. atm looking at the long term we have 1 jack who is a definate long termer. imo we dont have a decent established afl tall they are either past it or just not good enough.

imo there is another two who i am tempted to place in the long term definates post and vickery who look good. but im going to let them prove themselves first after all they have had just one yr.. the rest are purely development who give me varying degrees of optimism.

i was a big wrap for rance but i have concerns now re skills. dave gourdis who i saw a bit of as a junior cant kick. griffiths who you like and think already made it fair enough im hoping he makes it as well all i have done is go with players i have seen a bit of ie black over griffiths.i still went bastinac at 19 even though i scream about talls.
ya know you have named just 7 talls you could probably throw thursfield in there but i have little faith any of the remaining talls will be around for to long. i still maintain we need to load up with talls .we dont have any long term established talls apart from jack you clearly disagree.

if we take two talls a yr for the next 3 yrs at picks 19 and 35 say. the percentages tell us one is likely to fail each yr. if we take 4 talls late its likely 3 will fail you want to build a list from what we have now to 16 decent players the work involved and the numbers required a re scary. we will be in exactly the same boat we are in now because we will have our share of misses. you cant plan ahead on the basis every pick we take will make it. common sense says it wont happen, the numbers at every other club says it wont happen.

im not complaining about early picks being used on talls im all for it when practicle. all im calling for is we also target a few late nd psd and rookie.we delisted 7 talls from a shallow list and the numbers will go backwards this yr thats not list management though i will cut some slack with richos situation they clearly wanted him to go around again.

this is the last time im sick to death of this anyway but heres our list of talls.

simmonds - last yr.
graham - just not up to it.
mcguane - not good enough.
post - okay long term keeper i just contradicted myself.
vickery - long term keeper.
riewoldt - long term keeper.
rance - 50/50 imo. would not have been taken by us this yr kicking.
gourdis - 40/60 but as you say a long term project. would not have been taken this yr by us kicking.
astbury - first yr development who can say.
griffiths - first yr development who can say.
browne - project development like you i like this kid what i have seen.
thursfield - make or break yr no certainty ask me at the end of 2010.

lets just say we do well with our picks and only two of our tall picks over the last 4 or 5 yrs fail, throw in simmo muscles and gus thats 5 we are down to 7. lets say we take 4 talls rookie psd drafts we can maybe count on 1 making it. this is where im coming from i dont want to be negative but based on what happens at most other clubs this is the reality.