The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Charlie Clarke from the Bulldogs cut. Never saw him play, looked up his pre draft blurb:

SNAPSHOT: “A speedy and competitive forward, Clarke’s energy and athleticism on-field provide him with a real sense of X-factor.”

One of the few prospects with prior NAB League experience coming into the season, Charlie Clarke has been somewhat of a surprise packet across the 2022 campaign in a star studded Sandringham Dragons side. Equally lively through the midfield or up forward, Clarke’s ability to impact in multiple roles was a valuable asset in the Dragons’ journey to the premiership, being held goalless in just two of his 15 appearances.

Clarke’s feats, including a remarkable seven-goal haul against Tasmania in Round 4, garnered representative honours with Vic Metro where he played all four games throughout the Under 18 National Championships. Above all, he is a talent who loves the big stage and rises to grand occasions with his guts to take the game on and instinctual play inside attacking 50.

Reads like something we could do with but no idea what happened at the Dogs to get cut.

VFL stats don't look all that bad. Certainly looks to be playing a small forward role. Not sure I saw him play, so no idea of his quality, but his VFL stats this year weren't bad. You usually only cut draftees after 2 years if they are clear duds, or something else has happened off-field.

1729319422192.png

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn’t mind picking up Taylor from north and Parfitt from Geelong as DFA or Rookies
Charlie Clarke from the Bulldogs cut.
Whether or not it's one of more of these guys, our recruiters will be scouring the land for VALUE.

Blokes like this know they're on the verge of 'it's all over, red rover' unless a lifeline is thrown in their direction.

If the price is right, a Parfitt here or a Clarke there could help to round out the squad - maybe not our 'best 22' but the overall squad.

One thing's for sure ... a man that has stared into the abyss ... a man that has faced the gallows ... a man who's been told there's no hope ... that man is open to alternatives ... he's motivated ... he's hungry for another chance.

There is no shortage of men desperate for another chance ... and Blair ... and the Tiges ... will be ready to pounce.

Bwwwaaahaaaahaaa!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Charlie Clarke from the Bulldogs cut. Never saw him play, looked up his pre draft blurb:

SNAPSHOT: “A speedy and competitive forward, Clarke’s energy and athleticism on-field provide him with a real sense of X-factor.”

One of the few prospects with prior NAB League experience coming into the season, Charlie Clarke has been somewhat of a surprise packet across the 2022 campaign in a star studded Sandringham Dragons side. Equally lively through the midfield or up forward, Clarke’s ability to impact in multiple roles was a valuable asset in the Dragons’ journey to the premiership, being held goalless in just two of his 15 appearances.

Clarke’s feats, including a remarkable seven-goal haul against Tasmania in Round 4, garnered representative honours with Vic Metro where he played all four games throughout the Under 18 National Championships. Above all, he is a talent who loves the big stage and rises to grand occasions with his guts to take the game on and instinctual play inside attacking 50.

Reads like something we could do with but no idea what happened at the Dogs to get cut.

Whether or not it's one of more of these guys, our recruiters will be scouring the land for VALUE.

Blokes like this know they're on the verge of 'it's all over, red rover' unless a lifeline is thrown in their direction.

If the price is right, a Parfitt here or a Clarke there could help to round out the squad - maybe not our 'best 22' but the overall squad.

One thing's for sure ... a man that has stared into the abyss ... a man that has faced the gallows ... a man who's been told there's no hope ... that man is open to alternatives ... he's motivated ... he's hungry for another chance.

There is no shortage of men desperate for another chance ... and Blair ... and the Tiges ... will be ready to pounce.

Bwwwaaahaaaahaaa!
I’m feeling really motivated after that C! Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I just can't see the logic in taking on discards from other clubs given the state of our list.

For starters we would have to cut two or three of the current players to take them on. Then we are not going to be productive for 3 or 4 years. So these add ons won't help us.

For mine we run with the wave of kids this year and next and then look to discards in 3 or 4 years time to fill gaps in the line up.

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t think we are going to bring anyone in and we probably shouldn’t.
As others have said we may as well keep McIntosh as an example.

Reactions: 2 users
I just can't see the logic in taking on discards from other clubs given the state of our list.

For starters we would have to cut two or three of the current players to take them on. Then we are not going to be productive for 3 or 4 years. So these add ons won't help us.

For mine we run with the wave of kids this year and next and then look to discards in 3 or 4 years time to fill gaps in the line up.
Im not saying we should pick him up, but Parfitt will be 30 in 2028. If he was good enough he would still be helping us when we could be winning.
And the other name thrown up- Clarke will be 26 (I think).

Even Sam Weideman would be just 31. He could be the heir to Tom Lynch we have been looking for. 🤡

Reactions: 1 user
We've lost

We've lost a ton of experience in Baker, Dusty, Marlion, Bakes, Rioli, Graham and Grimes. You're going to want some mature bodies to replace them. I doubt we,ll be taking 8 kids in the draft. I heard some talking head says that's too much for the development team (don't know if that's true or not). Still think some mature bodies via the DFa or rookie draft is the go.

I'm guessing you'd only do it where you saw a positional weakness that a newly drafted player might be exposed too early in. Eg A key forward or inside mid, as an 18yo usually doesn't have the body strength.
Some might think an retread player in a different system may work differently. Hawthorn have done this with a very high number (about 8-10) of retreads.
It's a horses for courses arrangement i think.
Given how many picks we have, I'd only be taking someone if we clear another player out (eg move Dow on, get Parfitt instead). We need to take 7-8 in the draft (7 if we trade up to 2).