Team for West Coast | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team for West Coast

Pleased with changes bar Farmer for Thursfield. Great TV is back, needs games and his old mate NicNat is a good match up.

josey said:
Thursfield's limitations are becoming more and more obvious.

I agree with you Barnzy, he will struggle to develop the skills to adequately attack the game. I suspect its not in his nature.

IMO he is too small to play as a key back and lacks the ability to attack sides on the rebound.

So where does that leave him?

Not sure Josey.

Backline is a big worry. Moore is the only player you could probably say suits his actual position (3rd tall attacking role) and he's not exactly a superstar, just a soldier.

Thursfield probably has the body type of a 3rd tall but plays like a 1st tall (stopper). McGuane who plays as the attacking CHB ala Bock but lacks size (kg wise at least 3-5kgs) and has poor decision making/disposal.

Needs a lot of work.

Thursty is interesting. His skills and judgement are actually very good. He just doesn't have the confidence or instinct to take the game on though. I;d actually make him the designated kicker in to get him more involved in a creative sense.

He was played aty CHB at Coburg last year and actually took a few marks and took the game on at times. Same again for a few weeks wouldn't do any harm.

Odds are Lukey will kill us again on Sunday though.

Tigion said:
guys like him and morton need to be getting 2-3 goals a game
There are currently 3 small forwards in the AFL average better than two goals per game this year and you want two in our side. I think the match committee would be very happy with 1-2 from either of them.

can't see what Hardwick sees in Farmer. Webberly shows twice as much ability and potential. More than Nason, King, White, also. Got concerns that Hardwick is favouring 'goers' with questionable ability over the more talented players. Our game plan and style of play will suffer as a result. Kick and hope. It's one thing to have a go and do the team things and put in 100%, but you actually need ability to win games. Too many "goers" getting a favourable treatment. Hardwick needs to look at players that offer other attributes to our team other than having a red hot go. Morton an example. rhg will only get you so far.

Harry said:
can't see what Hardwick sees in Farmer. Webberly shows twice as much ability and potential. More than Nason, King, White, also. Got concerns that Hardwick is favouring 'goers' with questionable ability over the more talented players. Our game plan and style of play will suffer as a result. Kick and hope. It's one thing to have a go and do the team things and put in 100%, but you actually need ability to win games. Too many "goers" getting a favourable treatment. Hardwick needs to look at players that offer other attributes to our team other than having a red hot go. Morton an example. rhg will only get you so far.

Agreed.

Rumours around that Hislop will get a new contract too. Hope it's not true.

Take your point Harry (and Barnzy) but perhaps Dimma is trying to enforce the idea that the more skilled players need to show the same level of commitment.

wammo said:
Take your point Harry (and Barnzy) but perhaps Dimma is trying to enforce the idea that the more skilled players need to show the same level of commitment.

you need a balance. what's the point of effort when you can't create and finish.

How King has somehow managed to sneak his way back in over recent weeks and is now getting named in the back pocket amazes me.

Worries me that we are not finding replacements for him, White and co yet.

I won't argue with that Harry, just saying that, at this stage, playing some of the lesser skilled players with a great attitude might be a way of sending a message to some of the other blokes.

This year is all bout setting up for the future after all.

For mine, Dimma is giving them all a chance to show their stuff. Obviously a fair number of them will not be here next year.

Sure, he could be putting more games into some of our younger recruits, but if his plan is to let them ease into the game over a couple of years, rather than immediately, then I'll back him to know what he is doing.

Brodders17 said:
luke shuey? when has he killed us before? musta been a praccy match.

Didn't you watch last week? Oh, that's right, Kosi only kicked 2 so McGuane must have done well. ::)

Harry said:
you need a balance. what's the point of effort when you can't create and finish.

Understand where you are coming from Harry, the balance you mention will be very important as we look to rise up the ladder. However this year is obviously not about wins and losses, was never going to be.

Dimma is clearly looking to eradicate the Wallet stench at Punt Road where players undeserving of a game were picked each week, which led to a side that prided itself on an individualist attitude coupled with lack of guts & determination. It takes time to clean out this mentality & if Hardwick picks players unprepared to adhere to his notion of success in order to chase cheap wins, it'll work against what he's trying to achieve over the long haul.
Already I think we can already see many of the results of a team clearly working much harder without the ball.

Once he's established a strong team culture first, then he will then look to upgrade the quality of footballer through the ND and recruitment come years end. The club has been very vocal in terms of this & I believe several of the guys playing on Sunday will be moved on at year's end or should be. If not I'll be surprised to say the least.

Yes you can talk of 'finish' but our coach only has the current list to work with and tbh there's not a lot of polish there, yet..
Even Morton who's capable of the freakish often makes basic mistakes. He's not that good just a little more skilful than most.

Anyway whether Dimma's approach will work over the long haul it's too early to say but for now he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Barnzy said:
Rumours around that Hislop will get a new contract too. Hope it's not true.

I hope this is not true. He is an inside mid who can't kick on a good day nothing else. He can't add to our list so delist.

Tigers of Old said:
Understand where you are coming from Harry, the balance you mention will be very important as we look to rise up the ladder. However this year is obviously not about wins and losses, was never going to be.

Dimma is clearly looking to eradicate the Wallet stench at Punt Road where players undeserving of a game were picked each week, which led to a side that prided itself on an individualist attitude coupled with lack of guts & determination. It takes time to clean out this mentality & if Hardwick picks players unprepared to adhere to his notion of success in order to chase cheap wins, it'll work against what he's trying to achieve over the long haul.
Already I think we can already see many of the results of a team clearly working much harder without the ball.

Once he's established a strong team culture first, then he will then look to upgrade the quality of footballer through the ND and recruitment come years end. The club has been very vocal in terms of this & I believe several of the guys playing on Sunday will be moved on at year's end or should be. If not I'll be surprised to say the least.

Yes you can talk of 'finish' but our coach only has the current list to work with and tbh there's not a lot of polish there, yet..
Even Morton who's capable of the freakish often makes basic mistakes. He's not that good just a little more skilful than most.

Anyway whether Dimma's approach will work over the long haul it's too early to say but for now he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Good post ToO, it amazes me at some of the Richmond faithfuls lack of patience this year, wrapt in Hardwicks ability to sacrafice the now for the future, he is doing all the good things TW did not. Talk to the players and it is totally different way of been taught.

Tigers of Old said:

Good post.

Tigers of Old said:

Totally agree