Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

whites tiger said:
Interestingly, there's currently no mention of it on the Sturt website. Perhaps after wooden spoons in consecutive years there's not much to celebrate.

All that aside, congratulations Bling.

how did this guy go at pick 4? ITs like recruiting GUS at 4.
Id be interested to hear others recollections in 04 as to why tambling was rated so highly?

doherz said:
Id be interested to hear others recollections in 04 as to why tambling was rated so highly?
I think the under 18 was split into two 'levels'. The NT were in the second division and therefore Tambling didn't really play against the better teams and talent, so he really stood out. He was talked up as the best indigenous talent in the draft and Hawthorn were considering him/were going to take him at 5 if we didn't. We were stoked to get Deledio along with Tambling, Meyer and Pattison in the draft that year. Which with 5 picks in better end of the draft was talked up as something that could be a defining day for Richmond. It was, just not how we intended it to be.

I could be making all that up though.

Tiger Tuff. said:
I think the under 18 was split into two 'levels'. The NT were in the second division and therefore Tambling didn't really play against the better teams and talent, so he really stood out.

No, you are correct Tiger Tuff.

Tiger Tuff. said:
I think the under 18 was split into two 'levels'. The NT were in the second division and therefore Tambling didn't really play against the better teams and talent, so he really stood out. He was talked up as the best indigenous talent in the draft and Hawthorn were considering him/were going to take him at 5 if we didn't. We were stoked to get Deledio along with Tambling, Meyer and Pattison in the draft that year. Which with 5 picks in better end of the draft was talked up as something that could be a defining day for Richmond. It was, just not how we intended it to be.

Franklin reiwoldt pavlixh in the one forward like or reiwoldt fiora and bling

God damn

doherz said:

Heard Wallet during the week on Trade Radio and the jist of it was - good character/work ethic, disposal not as good as first thought, couldn't win the footy in high pressure games, started to fall apart mentally when the Franklin comparisons were heating up.

doherz said:
He was rated in the top 4 by every recruiter and Michael Long rated the best player to come out of the NT...period. The hawks had told him they would take him with their first pick but had a last minute change in strategy and went with the 2 best talls. Tambling was even staying with Gary buchanara in the days prior to the draft. Have heard Dermie talk about it and almost every other club couldn't believe how lucky we were to get booths lids and bling and how dumb the hawks were to roll the dice on a mega loose canon in buddy.
History shows we literally had no idea of what that draft contained..and nothing changed until 2010.

Ghost of 29 said:
He was rated in the top 4 by every recruiter and Michael Long rated the best player to come out of the NT...period. The hawks had told him they would take him with their first pick but had a last minute change in strategy and went with the 2 best talls. Tambling was even staying with Gary buchanara in the days prior to the draft. Have heard Dermie talk about it and almost every other club couldn't believe how lucky we were to get booths lids and bling and how dumb the hawks were to roll the dice on a mega loose canon in buddy.
History shows we literally had no idea of what that draft contained..and nothing changed until 2010.

And wasn't Roughead at the BBQ at Clinton Casey's place too?

And there's no way in the world I take him back. We were the champions of shocking drafting/trading, now that title has moved down Brunton Ave to the Melbourne Football Club....

I reckon the development of our draftees from around that period bears a much greater blame than the actual draftees themselves.

Freezer said:
I reckon the development of our draftees from around that period bears a much greater blame than the actual draftees themselves.
This ^

Freezer said:

I agree but Istill reckon the recruiters are the main ones to blame.

I know it may make a bit of a difference when the club gets them at 18 instead of early 20's but even when players like Fiora, Pattison, Polo, Meyer, Tambling, JON went to other clubs they did nothing so they were just average players to begin with

premiers2012 said:
I agree but Istill reckon the recruiters are the main ones to blame.

I know it may make a bit of a difference when the club gets them at 18 instead of early 20's but even when players like Fiora, Pattison, Polo, Meyer, Tambling, JON went to other clubs they did nothing so they were just average players to begin with

not Tambling.

premiers2012 said:
If Tambling was anything above average he certainly didn't show it

Well he did which was why was so highly rated,

here's a good summary-

Ghost of 29 said:

Freezer said:

Kudos must go to Lids then.

And every other player from that era who carved out a career. I guess Jacko and McGun would be close to AA players if they were drafted by someone else.