Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Circa1982 said:
I'm sorry filthy mouthed fool ,but I don't deal in clairvoyance
I can only comment on the visual evidence provided to me
If if if if if does not apply here because if if if if did not happen
Dicky Rambling will always be remembered as if if
If if if if we only picked Buddy
This is where the if if if if applies
Spot on!

Circa1982 said:
I don't want Dicky Rambling anywhere within the vicinity of Punt Rd as just seeing lance Franklin reminds me of him
If we had picked Buddy we would be where the Hawks are now

I doubt that very much. We had Richo and didn't get anywhere near where the Hawks are now. Disappoints me to say but there's a possibility Lance wouldn't have developed into the player he is now had be been drafted to Tigerland during such a bad period.

rosy23 said:
I doubt that very much. We had Richo and didn't get anywhere near where the Hawks are now. Disappoints me to say but there's a possibility Lance wouldn't have developed into the player he is now had be been drafted to Tigerland during such a bad period.

Possibly, but wasn't it stated that the Crows picked him up (Tambling) because they reckon we had terrible player development and they could fix him? Certainly didn't turn out that well for them. Easy to blame the club for lack of development, but the player has to want to make it. Not sure Tambling had that desire.

Tiger Rob said:
Possibly, but wasn't it stated that the Crows picked him up (Tambling) because they reckon we had terrible player development and they could fix him? Certainly didn't turn out that well for them. Easy to blame the club for lack of development, but the player has to want to make it. Not sure Tambling had that desire.

I wasn't blaming the club for Tambling. He had a distinct lack of heart and a poor attitude. Fact is we did have an era of poverty, poor staffing, player support, ordinary coaching, poor list, pathetic facilities etc that weren't conducive to getting the best out of a player. Lance is rumoured to have needed strong guidance early on. Of course the player needs to have the desire and the ability to get the best out of themselves as well. Are you confident Lance would have been equally as good if we'd drafted him as he has been at Hawthorn? I wouldn't have a clue but it's not unreasonable, considering our circumstances at the time, to at least wonder. I don't question Richo's attitude or will to succeed in the slightest, I wish every player had it, but I also wonder what he could have been if he was playing when we were in better shape as a club.

Tigertool said:
Todd Elton, Dean Mcdonald and an extra player this year in the second round.

I think we got Todd Elton, Brad Helbig (pick 47), and will get another pick this year for him (the pick right after Ports second selection).

Dean Macdonald we took with a normal third draft pick, not the one from Adelaide (I'm 90% on this)

rosy23 said:
I wasn't blaming the club for Tambling. He had a distinct lack of heart and a poor attitude. Fact is we did have an era of poverty, poor staffing, player support, ordinary coaching, poor list, pathetic facilities etc that weren't conducive to getting the best out of a player. Lance is rumoured to have needed strong guidance early on. Of course the player needs to have the desire and the ability to get the best out of themselves as well. Are you confident Lance would have been equally as good if we'd drafted him as he has been at Hawthorn? I wouldn't have a clue but it's not unreasonable, considering our circumstances at the time, to at least wonder. I don't question Richo's attitude or will to succeed in the slightest, I wish every player had it, but I also wonder what he could have been if he was playing when we were in better shape as a club.

Probably worded my response poorly. Wasn't meaning to imply you were blaming the club, was trying to point out that the player needs to want it.

And I'd tend to agree that we may not have handled Buddy too well. We probably admitted as much by not drafting him - it was well known he was rumoured to have issues and by not drafting him we probably indicated our inability to deal with it.

Ghost of Punt Road said:
I think we got Todd Elton, Brad Helbig (pick 47), and will get another pick this year for him (the pick right after Ports second selection).

Dean Macdonald we took with a normal third draft pick, not the one from Adelaide (I'm 90% on this)

Not quite right Ghost.
The actual trade for Tambling
We got Adelaide's late 1st round (Bock compo pick) and their 3rd round pick (pick 50)
Pick 50 became pick 51. Which we used on McDonald

(Draft order moved down because WCE got Darling (p26) as an end of 1st rd priority pick and North Melbourne got Kieran Harper p27)
**GC didn't pick after rd 1.**

We swapped the (Bock) compo pick to GC for pick 26 (Elton) and what previously was Ports (Nathan Krakouer) compo pick that was traded back to GC (we've activated for this years draft)

Pick 47 (Helbig) was always ours. We tried to trade that with Essendon for Houli, but they wanted more, Houli went into the psd, we used that on Helbig

* wiki says we got 47 in the Tambling trade, but that's incorrect. You just have to go to 2nd rd-pick 30 Batchelor, (add 17) 3rd rd-47 Helbig 4th rd-63 Derryx

Tiger Rob said:
youre the only guy making sense
chimp pick 2
rambling pick 2

light years apart

chimp had skill with desire
rambling had nil
he was spacially lost from the start
struggled to get a kick for coburg
i still remember chimps first game at coburg he showed three bits of magic in two quarters of football after no preseason
tambling apologistsplease die of a quick death
hes gone
get over the ping pong ball

DirtyDogTiger said:
I have no objections to the club getting Bling back. We can list him with a late pick through free agency if they delist him. He's not bad enough to be cut, he was a decent half back.

better than newman

I'm not sure the internet could take the continuation of this thread if Tambling comes back.