Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: PSD Target

Streak said:
He actually is a highly skilled footballer. It might not translate into being an effective AFL player, but you cannot deny his skill level. Heart, guts, strength, desire....yep, another matter.

Sorry Streaker, have strongly said for many years he wasnt. Stand by that.

To Leysy a talented footballer has vision, composure & can "buy time" with the ball. Richie never ever had that thus was always limited.

You cant tell highly skilled footballers just by the training track.

Leysy Days said:

To Leysy a talented footballer has vision, composure & can "buy time" with the ball. Richie never ever had that thus was always limited.

Doesn't seem to correlate quite as closely to those four legged friends you like ................. ;D

blx said:
one thing is sure, Tambo has impacted this club immensely so much so that even after 2 years he still commands pages and pages of rhetoric.

He also brought us Dean MacDonald, pick 26 and next years compo pick. Was an inspired draft choice. :hihi

In my opinion Tambo's biggest problem is his head space coupled with the type of game he tries to play.

He was never going to do well under Harwick or Neil Craig because with all the zoning both coaches use, Tambling forgets to play football, or more to the point, is too insecure about moving from protecting space to attracting the ball. It's the way the game has gone now, so i can't see things getting much easier for him.

Additionally, he seems to try to win a lot of ball in close rather than in space and simply isn't strong enough through the hips to work his way through traffic. He had all the tricks up north where there is little accountability and tracks are hard and fast with games an open running affair, but footy down here is very different. If he played a more outside game i think he'd be a lot better footballer. He does'nt seem to play to his strengths.

Leysy Days said:

He showed plenty of vision and composure during 2009. That's why most people (you included IIRC) were calling for him to play off halfback.

Leysy Days said:

Agree.

Tambling's talent was always overrated because of his draft number and the players taken around him. He looked okay there for a little stretch but became very obvious he is a dumb footballer with and without the football. Didn't know where to run and the right spots to go to receive the ball. Indecisive and panicky with it. Not a natural footballer, more an athlete who excelled due to superior physical attributes at lower levels and his injuries of the last couple years has not helped him in that area either.

I actually agree with the dumb footballer part in some instances. When he was playing forward especially he very often looked lost and disinterested. Playing his natural attacking mid role though he looked a completely different player. No surprise there either given that's the role he grew up playing and the one he publicly stated he wanted to play. Problem for him (IMO) is that Hardwick didn't want him in that role and Tambling didn't have the mental ability, strength of character or footy ability to adapt to the roles Hardwick was giving him.

Disco08 said:
I actually agree with the dumb footballer part in some instances. When he was playing forward especially he very often looked lost and disinterested. Playing his natural attacking mid role though he looked a completely different player. No surprise there either given that's the role he grew up playing and the one he publicly stated he wanted to play. Problem for him (IMO) is that Hardwick didn't want him in that role and Tambling didn't have the mental ability, strength of character or footy ability to adapt to the roles Hardwick was giving him.

Bad call there Disco,

Tambling has fantastic character. Maybe just wrong choice of words.. IMO Richie was just wrong place wrong time. i think if he was left to be able to develop in the 2's when he was first drafted, i think we'd have a very different footballer. He has the talant, and was clearly drafted at or around his correct spot on junior form. It was very unfortunate for him that he came to Richmond and Wallace who as a coach has proven form at not being able to develop juniors. i still wish him all the best as he is a great person and really am tired of the negativity and direct attacks on him..

I think from the way he left the club to the lack of effort he showed during matches in 2010, his character has to be in question. He can be a nice bloke but still lack strength of character.

Disco08 said:
I think from the way he left the club to the lack of effort he showed during matches in 2010, his character has to be in question. He can be a nice bloke but still lack strength of character.

The way he left the club?? in the famous Pauline Hanson quote "please explain"

My thoughts were he had no choice but to leave.. From being booed and jeered by fans and not finding a permenant spot on the field he was left with little option and then Adelaide offering what they did, Richmond went for it..

Have a read or listen to his interviews after being traded and he shows a distinct lack of respect and class. No thanks to the club or supporters and made it very clear he was happy to be leaving.

how do you explain a bloke that is lightning quick (quicker than most) never chasing down and tackling players from behind? if he did that in the fwd line all day he would have had more influence than he ever did.....

he was fast with average footskills, lazy, unnacountable, soft and lacked footy smarts and awareness... how he ws drafted so high amazes me

if he was drafted in the second or third round and played in the reserves for 2 years maybe he could have made it as a defensive forward? he had more tricks than jake king but didnt have the mongrel or the application

Disco08 said:
Have a read or listen to his interviews after being traded and he shows a distinct lack of respect and class. No thanks to the club or supporters and made it very clear he was happy to be leaving.

i hold no grudges, i think most people in his position, after copping what he copped, would feel very relieved and thankful to be moving on.. Nothing i heard or read did he say anything negative towards the Tigers.. Even the fans which i thought was suprising. If it was me i would have given it to the fans and told them what i thought, he held his tongue well

Tango said:
how do you explain a bloke that is lightning quick (quicker than most) never chasing down and tackling players from behind? if he did that in the fwd line all day he would have had more influence than he ever did.....

he was fast with average footskills, lazy, unnacountable, soft and lacked footy smarts and awareness... how he ws drafted so high amazes me

if he was drafted in the second or third round and played in the reserves for 2 years maybe he could have made it as a defensive forward? he had more tricks than jake king but didnt have the mongrel or the application

He had the application, smarts, etc but only displayed them when he was playing on his terms.

Leysy Days said:

Exactly.

Compare Tambling to Rioli, Yarran, Hill etc and its chalk and cheese. With those 3 you want to give them the ball and you feel comfortable because you know something good will happen, compared to Tambling who will either get caught or just take the easy 20m kick.

frickenel said:
In my opinion Tambo's biggest problem is his head space coupled with the type of game he tries to play.

He was never going to do well under Harwick or Neil Craig because with all the zoning both coaches use, Tambling forgets to play football, or more to the point, is too insecure about moving from protecting space to attracting the ball. It's the way the game has gone now, so i can't see things getting much easier for him.

Additionally, he seems to try to win a lot of ball in close rather than in space and simply isn't strong enough through the hips to work his way through traffic. He had all the tricks up north where there is little accountability and tracks are hard and fast with games an open running affair, but footy down here is very different. If he played a more outside game i think he'd be a lot better footballer. He does'nt seem to play to his strengths.

As Barnzy alluded, The problem with him playing an outside game, especially up the ground on the wing, in the forward line or through the middle is he never consistently knew when & where to run to make himself useful.

In a nutshell didnt know how to make space for himself at the right times.

Disco08 said:
He had the application, smarts, etc but only displayed them when he was playing on his terms.

Really? Lack of footy smarts and awareness was his biggest issue. Never knew where to run. Application alot of the time was very poor. He had a few good games in 2009 which showed he had potential but at that stage opposition teams started applying a little bit more pressure on him and he fell apart. Just isn't AFL standard, doesn't have the mind speed.

Leysy Days said:
As Barnzy alluded, The problem with him playing an outside game, especially up the ground on the wing, in the forward line or through the middle is he never consistently knew when & where to run to make himself useful.

In a nutshell didnt know how to make space for himself at the right times.

100%. I don't know how many times I saw him run (or more aptly jog) to no-mans land. Just not a smart player.

July 2016.

Richard Tambling autobiography, page 32..........."that 'Franklin/Tambling' thread on PRE scarred me for life"............

Seriously, I'd blame Wallace & co. for Tambo's failures.