Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

What were these skills RT showed at AFL level? I saw a bloke who could run fast but rarely did. His kicking was average, wouldnt say it was highly skilled, wouldnt say he was terrible. Couldnt say he had great evasive skills. Didnt have a left foot. Wasnt a goal kicker.

I'll always remember his first NAB cup game and that 50m goal he kicked. That was skilful i suppose but geez we almost never saw it again.

But when he streaked out of defence and kicked a low hard fast ball about 50m to Bowden's chest who duly marked and slotted through the goal to give us the win against Brisbane at Ethihurt, we all got a little bit excited.

Leysy Days said:
He was skillful as a Div 2 under 18 footballer Streak no question. Unfortunately nothing more. AFL football takes a higher skillset than what he possessed.

Actually, I think he has all the same skills Leysy. I don't disagree with you often, but I think he still has all the football skills it takes to be an excellent footballer.
What Richie doesn't have however is the mental strength to apply those skills, which isn't a skill that is unique to AFL footballers alone. He's soft.

Agree 100% with all of leysys posts and made that exact argument back in the day. He was never that skillful and it always bewildered me that people thought he was. His good patch was only ever just good, never great. I think he was a victim of hype. He was subject of a powerful whispering campaign hat never really had much substance to it. Div 2 after all. On the one hand I feel sorry for him, he never really had any control over the hype storm. On the other hand I don't because he's managed to have a footy career and been paid good dough. Saving grace is what we got for him. A typical Richmond end to the story would have had us getting zero for him.

Re: PSD Target

Tambling played juniors in 2004, not 1904. Televised carnival games and dozens of scouts at just about every game he played in the second half of that year. His reputation wasn't built on "whispers" at all.

Leysy Days said:
You accuse leysy of having a flawed way of looking at it & then piece up all these mythical conclusions directly after. :headscratch

He was a battler his whole career apart from a run of games in one season. Leysy explained very early on whilst everyone still had high hopes the limitations he had & why he wouldn't work out. Those exact reasons are what is still holding him back today.

Could you point out these myths Leysy?

In his 5th season, as a 22 year old, he was 4th in his club's B&F and statistically was ranking easily inside the top 100 players. In some fairly crucial categories he was up inside the top 10. That's for the full season mind you, not just a run of games.

So do you discount mental weakness/lack of application as a reason for his regression entirely? Did you ever hear the interview straight after he was traded were he said he was never given a chance to settle in his preferred position? In the same interview he said he'd asked prospective new clubs where they saw him playing. Add that to the fact he went from playing his favourite role very well under Rawlings to sucking at a role he'd always struggled at under Hardwick and I reckon it's fairly obvious there was a real lack of motivation present during 2010.

Re: PSD Target

I've done Tambling's homework for him and got this season's excuse all prepared - his next game will make it 6 different coaches in his last 36 games, not including Sturt and Coburg. Thank me later, Richie.

No doubt Tambling is one of the most disappointing draft picks we have ever had (there are a few others too). But surely it's time we all moved on.

SAF said:
No doubt Tambling is one of the most disappointing draft picks we have ever had (there are a few others too). But surely it's time we all moved on.

Look on the bright side, the genius Miller wanted to take him #1 and the decision to take Lids was only made about an hour before the draft.

Thought Tambles played for Adelaide now. Who cares. We have MacDonald, pick 26 and a compo pick to look forward to! :birthday :happy :happy

The_General said:
Actually, I think he has all the same skills Leysy. I don't disagree with you often, but I think he still has all the football skills it takes to be an excellent footballer.
What Richie doesn't have however is the mental strength to apply those skills, which isn't a skill that is unique to AFL footballers alone. He's soft.

That is pretty much what I have been trying to say General. The skills were undoubtedly there, the mental side of the game and the ability to handle pressure, and execute under those conditions, wasn't.

tigs2010 said:
Thought Tambles played for Adelaide now. Who cares. We have MacDonald, pick 26 and a compo pick to look forward to! :birthday :happy :happy

:clap

SAF said:

Fact still stands as confirmed by several club recruiters who were in the game at the time, everyone rated Tambling top 5 and also ahead of Franklin, even Hawthorn, but they made a tactical decision to go for talls in a bid to rebuild their spine/forward line.

This was ultimately a mistake waiting to happen for whatever club took him..sadly it was us.

But you are right SAF, it is time we all moved on.

KB summed up
Promising kid didnt ever get any better
Had the ability to knife through packs but only did it on a few cameo performances
All clubs have good promising kids
The ones who become champions make champion teams

All im gonna say is this, some players get picked early and teams have been burnt and cant get anything 4 em "substantial" in trading after years of service...Richmond on the other hand can at least say we got some pretty handy compensation back from a player who didnt take his game to the next level, pic 26 (end of first round), compo pic next year and pic 51 2010 draft (dean McDonald)...

Skills hardly a relevant argument here. There is no doubt Ritchie had skill, not elite as some suggested, but definitely skillful. His problem was mental toughness to go the extra yards and do the things like gut running and 1%'s.

Too many times I saw Ritchie trotting along behind the contest when he could have impacted on the contest with a bit of effort. Like a lot of young kids Ritchie always got by at the lower levels due to pace and skill, but could not translate it to the elite level, because of the extra effort required.

gustiger12 said:
Skills hardly a relevant argument here. There is no doubt Ritchie had skill, not elite as some suggested, but definitely skillful. His problem was mental toughness to go the extra yards and do the things like gut running and 1%'s.

Too many times I saw Ritchie trotting along behind the contest when he could have impacted on the contest with a bit of effort. Like a lot of young kids Ritchie always got by at the lower levels due to pace and skill, but could not translate it to the elite level, because of the extra effort required.

There have been plenty of lazy footballers who have been better than Tambling.

A fat Dean Rioli had more impact on games than Richie. I agree he was soft but he never showed that freakish skill that most of the indiginous boys have.

SAF said:

I agree but then what else would we chat about in the off season?

AstuteTiger said:
All im gonna say is this, some players get picked early and teams have been burnt and cant get anything 4 em "substantial" in trading after years of service...Richmond on the other hand can at least say we got some pretty handy compensation back from a player who didnt take his game to the next level, pic 26 (end of first round), compo pic next year and pic 51 2010 draft (dean McDonald)...

Exactly right AT.

We got out just in time. One more year & everyone would have awake to his limitations & lack of talent.

Hopefully we use the picks we received well & can turn an average footballer into something a lot better for us.

Whether it's lack of talent or mental weakness we can at least all agree we made out like bandits in the end.

Thread bump after our next flag, page 527 - "but we would've won one a lot sooner had we taken Franklin" ::)