Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: I thought Ritchie Tambling was ok. [Merged]

Turbo Tiger said:
checkside said:
Tigermad2005 said:
The player taken at 4 again looked good on the weekend.
Not going to say any names.
Yeah because one goal is briliant from a so called key forward ::)

If either of you are referring to Franklin - he kicked one goal but was important in a winning side.

He is a super star of this competition and we passed him up for a player that nobody can defend with anything but speculation about a bright future that is at this stage still invisible and unlikely...

TT, please he is a young gun at the minute and a potential star in the making....Now onto ur quote that he was important for the hawks win could u please explain to me how that was, i saw the match and noted his stats but if ur referring to his 1 assist for the match then ok, point well taken.

Turbo Tiger said:
He has also kicked 6 goals three times in his career - including once against us!

Once against Richmond, once against Carlton. 1+1=3 obviously.

In the same discussion I heard on radio regarding Tambling, they were also discussing Franklin. Naturally, that w*nker Brereton was saying that Franklin was the greatest thing since sliced bread blah blah…and was suggesting we had made an error in not recruiting him. Again, Watson stepped in and virtually said: “Hang on. Just exactly what has he done so far ? Sure he has tremendous athletic ability and stacks of potential, but how much has he actually done ?” He then went on to say that he couldn’t take an overhead mark, and that until he can, stop wrapping him up so much.

I agree. I reckon he has heaps of potential, but so far, is being overrated in terms of his actual performances to date.

Disco08 said:
Hopper, DT uses just the basic points for kicks, marks etc. You're better off giving the supercoach points which only give scores for effective disposals and factor in clearances, 1st possessions, 1%ers etc.

Davey (this 'kid' is 23) - 71
Griffen - 60
Tambling - 62
Thomas - 18
Franklin - 62
Jetta - 51
Varcoe - 44
Deledio - 114
Monfries - 83
Lewis - 119

Well posted stats. Does this mean us (meaning Richmond), the Hawks and Dogs should be kicking themselves for not drafting Angus Monfries higher?

From those stats it looks that most of the genuine kids from that draft year are still playing very inconsistent footy and the jury should still be out on their progress.

I think last year was the first time he nominated for the draft Colonel.

Redford said:
In the same discussion I heard on radio regarding Tambling, they were also discussing Franklin. Naturally, that w*nker Brereton was saying that Franklin was the greatest thing since sliced bread blah blah…and was suggesting we had made an error in not recruiting him. Again, Watson stepped in and virtually said: “Hang on. Just exactly what has he done so far ? Sure he has tremendous athletic ability and stacks of potential, but how much has he actually done ?” He then went on to say that he couldn’t take an overhead mark, and that until he can, stop wrapping him up so much.

I agree. I reckon he has heaps of potential, but so far, is being overrated in terms of his actual performances to date.

I wish this was true, but the kid is an excitement machine. According to many commentators he played poorly against Brisbane, and he still kicked three!

I know we hate to admit a mistake, but he is far more talented than any tall we have had since ... probably Michael Roach.

Of course the other issue is public profile. Franklin is a superstar in the media, and he is mentioned in TV ads (like the ones for footy cards). There were 43,000 at yesterday's game, and many of them were probably young kids who begged their parents to go watch "Buddy" play. There is no way in the world Tambo would ever be mentioned in an ad, and not one young kid on earth that would beg his parents to go and watch him play.

We were screwed by our sub-standard recruiters...

Turbo Tiger said:
Redford said:

I wish this was true, but the kid is an excitement machine. According to many commentators he played poorly against Brisbane, and he still kicked three!

I know we hate to admit a mistake, but he is far more talented than any tall we have had since ... probably Michael Roach.

Of course the other issue is public profile. Franklin is a superstar in the media, and he is mentioned in TV ads (like the ones for footy cards). There were 43,000 at yesterday's game, and many of them were probably young kids who begged their parents to go watch "Buddy" play. There is no way in the world Tambo would ever be mentioned in an ad, and not one young kid on earth that would beg his parents to go and watch him play.

He is better than Richo???

WOW thats dilluded!

Lance Franklin may be a good young talent, but he is seriously overrated. I admit, he is showing more than Tambling, but common, a superstar of the competition? Come back to me when he takes a contested mark or three and is a physically imposing CHF rather than a CHF imposter!

Point taken TT and I’m not saying Franklin wouldn’t be handy. However, I’m more interested in pure performance and output than I am about how “exciting” they are. And to that end, whilst he’s thrown up the odd exciting performance, I don’t think Buddy has provided too much on a consistent basis....yet.

Both Sydney and Adelaide have had very good teams for quite a while now without too many excitement machines. I prefer blokes who you can rely to get the job done most weeks.

Turbo Tiger said:
Redford said:

I think that theory has never worked. Going to see one player rarely happens and I am sure that Buddy is not at that theory. If your tema is playing someone worth watching that is more of a reason to go but if someones team is playing the same day as a marquee player I do not know of too many that would go watch that player over there club.

And Buddy has not set the world on fire, yet. Flashes of brillance and quarters of pure class but not games on end. Same with Tambo. And this little tidbit of information would make me feel a little concnerned if I was a Hawthorn supporter, on Saturday afternoon Buddy was at the Doncaster Inn having a few pots and watching the horses go around. A Hawthorn supporter give me this sighting and was dumbfounded and very troubled. Must have went out in the second leg of the quaddie becuase he left after that.

Disco08 said:
I think last year was the first time he nominated for the draft Colonel.

Yeah, substitute Angus Monfries instead, argument still holds. Bless the modify function.

SCOOP said:
And Buddy has not set the world on fire, yet. Flashes of brillance and quarters of pure class but not games on end. Same with Tambo. And this little tidbit of information would make me feel a little concnerned if I was a Hawthorn supporter, on Saturday afternoon Buddy was at the Doncaster Inn having a few pots and watching the horses go around. A Hawthorn supporter give me this sighting and was dumbfounded and very troubled. Must have went out in the second leg of the quaddie becuase he left after that.
i drink at the Donny Inn sometimes scooper.Thanks for the headsup,I'll go and harrass him next time we're up to play the Dorks. ;D

Just saw the game again an one thing his starting to do a lot better is have clean hands,seems to be getting better in all area's of concern of late

[/quote]

TT, in regards to the footy cards there is 1 player per club mentioned and for us its Deledio...

Are u for real more talented than Richo, richo at 32 is still a thoroughbred now that’s an excitement machine who incidentally takes bone crunching pack marks, when Franklin can do that consistently and kick 60 to 70 goals a year consistently then come and see me, yes he is only in his third year but remember as u put it he is KPP so that should be expected cause he is a super star right? and is far more talented than any tall we have had since roach.

Recruiting, well as know about recruiting the hawks getting Franklin was no master stroke it just fell there way, buckenara said they wanted bling and decided to go for Roughhead at 2 as they assumed Richmond would go for a tall at 4 and they would pick up bling at 5...The jury is still out i hope that they now play blingers solely in the FWD line with stints on the ball and if he can kick his few goals and lay tackles then ill be more than happy and who gives a rats flying arse that franklins name is in the papers.

Turbo Tiger said:
[

Turbo the error was made by the Hawks recruiters. Tigers were always going to take Roughhead with 4 and had told him so - on the assumption that Richie would go at 2. Dogs were always getting Griffin. The Hawks rated Roughead above Franklin and for that reason got stuck with Roughead and Franklin rather than Tambling and Franklin which would have been a master coup because for all their recruting of neat skilled mids they have no oomph factor in terms of pace athleticism and intuitive skill and flair which Richie has.

So the real argument which will be determined a few years down the track is have the Hawks stuffed up by picking Roughhead over Richie. Too early to tell but if you use the flawed logic which some posters apply then the Hawks stuffed up because Roughie was playing reserves and Tambling was kicking multiple goals against the Swans on the weekend.

Richie and Franklin would have been a good return and would have been what Tiges would have got if they finished 15th in 2004. Lance has done well so far and Hawks should be pleased but still along way from being a player - At the moment really only an exciting HFF - will turn the odd game but Hawks would hope that he learns how to take an overhead mark in the near future - at this stage his career is on a par with our own Stephen Ryan who slayed them as a tall HFF and then stagnated when they tried to turn him into a KPP.

Interestingly despite an ordinary Melbourne effort Buddy only kicked one on the weekend and the maligned Richie kicked two against a much tighter defensive unit.

FWIW I still prefer Richie as he has the potential to be a star mid and those are the types that win you games consitently - plus he is even now better overhead than Buddy and better defensively (despite his seeming lost from time to time). Its a close thing though - how will they develop?. If Franklin increases his work rate and puts his body on the line and learns a bit more about team play could become another Pavlich/Goodes. Cetainly has the skills and athleticism

Long and mcleod took a while and I remember thinking Mcleod wasn't much in his first two years - won a norm Smith in his third though so it may be time for Richie to pick it up a bit.

A little bit of a tangent- but it's interesting that ,Roughhead who's been mucked about going forward and back each week ,due to lack of talls at Hawks disposal and has subsequently struggled a bit.

This week he was dropped back to Box Hill and proceeded to bang 8 goals.

I still think it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a similar thing with Bling a give him a couple of weeks at coburg to find a bit of confidence.I can't see how it would hurt.

Sick of buying into this F#*&%N Franklin debate especially with Hawks supporters but to compare Buddy with Richo is rediculous,one is a tall flanker an yes an exceptional talent the other factually one of the best 2 contested markers in the past 15 years an in the top 18 goal kickers of all time.
Sometimes I think we all forget how good Richo was as a kid 91 goals at 21 years old after coming back from a knee reco in a time that didnt make the finals

Interseting how Turbo Hawk goes off sooking when Hawthorns recruiting woes are highlighted and no one has even mentioned Judd (D'oh what were they thinking?) once in this thread.

lamb22 said:
Interseting how Turbo Hawk goes off sooking when Hawthorns recruiting woes are highlighted and no one has even mentioned Judd (D'oh what were they thinking?) once in this thread.

Classic post :duh Ooch!

Turbo Tiger said:

The above would have to be one of the most overthetop postings on PRE since Razorwire,s efforts of defending Ray Hall.
Franklin has his face of a footy was bad enough but to continue with the 43,000 kids begging their parents to go watch Buddy is boardering on straight jacket stuff or even worse a hawks supporter fak-ing it as a Tiger. :help

I would like to see Tambling stand him when we next play. He has the pace and is at least as good a contested mark