Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling to Coburg

geoffryprettyboy said:
Totally disagree for Richard to travel to Harding Street. Speaking to an expert yesterday, they told me it won't be a bad idea for TW give Richard free reign and let im play his natural game without bamboozling him with which zone he may enter, when he may enter zones, if the MCC grandstand shadow is visible or not etc.

Let him play his natural game, let him lose, without being accountable, for the time being.

Agree with you GPB - seems a number of our players may be feeling that same way. Just let them play TW and let them play in the positions which best suit them and the club.....

Re: I thought Ritchie Tambling was ok. [Merged]

I thought it was a much improved defensive/chasing/tackling game from Tambling.

Only 8 possessions from a forward pocket, but it was not a high possession day for anyone apart from back flankers yesterday. Only one bloke in our team got double figure kicks.

Richie fluffed two kicks in the last quarter which remains a concern.

momentai said:
Cutterst said:
No point dropping him as there is nobody performing better on the training track deserving a run ahead of him.

Yes, he did chase on occasions BUT several times he dog-trotted behind Swan players and only ran hard after the Swan player received the ball. His closing speed was fantastic and it looked good but he was too late to make the hard run.

He has to learn to work hard to prevent opponents getting clear and becoming options for their teammates.
Great post.
I noticed this as well and add he needs to man up quicker & read the play alot faster. Dropping would not help, the more game time the better he will get & he will be more effective. I do see some great signs with him & will be a great player for us imo.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Totally disagree for Richard to travel to Harding Street. Speaking to an expert yesterday, they told me it won't be a bad idea for TW give Richard free reign and let im play his natural game without bamboozling him with which zone he may enter, when he may enter zones, if the MCC grandstand shadow is visible or not etc.

Let him play his natural game, let him lose, without being accountable, for the time being.

Once again i totally agree GPB. Perfect example was hen Richie BURST through the middle with lightning pace...burnt an opponent RAN TO FIFTY ........then.......went to chip it in the forward pocket. What the hell!! KICK THE GOAL SON! That exact passage was just like his goal in the wizard cup except then he went for home..yesterday i dont know what he was doing. Is it just me or do we not kick goals from outside 50. Tiv and Petts are one of the only ones who lets loose from out the arc. The kids seem in two minds entering 50...i say take em on go for home...you miss well ...you get over it.....also we need to get Lids up the ground kicking goals....what a waste in the backline.

From what i have seen so far he does not warrant a new 3 yr contract.He is struggling to even get into games let alone have a impact.

He was just okay yesterday, he bobbed up for a couple of goals, but he seems to go missing for periods, needs to impose himself for a full game, not just a few flashes of brilliance, however I believe he is getting there, unfortunately it seems to be too slowly for a lot of the supporters.

geoffryprettyboy said:

Great post GPB

Bling owned the ball (as he should) the other week in the Coburg game he played. The reason he could do that was by being able to play his natural game.

I am not a huge fan of RT , i get the impression some here on PRE have him as a protected spieces
It doesnt matter if you were pick 4 or 400 fact is if you keep making the basic fundamental errors with kicks handballs and decisions that RT does on a football field then you leave your self open for ridicule .
At this level if you have not perfected the basics at 20 , then i suggest you pack up and go home , but then i guess he cant coz he just signed a 3 year contract .....
RT = Mitchell MK11

This was the smartest thing you've said on PRE. Wish you'd stick to it.

Rockster said:
i will reserve my judgement until seasons end , lets hope by then Richie proves me soooooooooo wrong and i am forced to eat humble pie all summer !

from all the times ive seen young RT....lazy as.....just as bad as Kane's kicking which for some reason has been ignored for years....

hopper said:
Getting very sick of the Tambling bashing around here. He was far from our worst agst Swans. Just leave him there for a while and measure his overall performance after about 8 weeks, not just 2.

Ok who would you like to bash? Howat hasn't exactly set the world on fire either in the first couple of games, do we leave him in for eight games as well and see what the hell happened to our season? Pattison is young and a reasonably early draft pick - does he deserve the No. 1 ruck spot for 8 weeks, just to let him get the hang of the position - I bet Simmons will be fit as a fiddle and just chewing nails to get out there for the ninth game.

I'm all for giving the guy a solid go but he doesn't have a blank cheque. I wouldn't drop him next week either but when and how do the criticisms made get addressed - when should we say that his work rate just isn't good enough for an AFL side?

Actually I just remembered a post-match interview question of TW regarding senior players who were down, TW suggested to the reporter that he wouldn't talk about it now but would certainly be discussing it by Round 9. So maybe you are a little on the conservative side Hopper. ;D

stuff this .....the RFC has had 2 chances to win matches and all we are getting is blah blah blah...had a gutfull....

we will be saying the exact same thing in 10 years.....no more i say......we as supporters are just as guilty....

I am a rt fan, sure he is not diong as much as he would like, but its only two years in? Remember the year ottens, croad and t johnstone were drafted. For years B ottens was rated no 1 and for a while croad. Now it is pretty clear T johnstone is the best of those three. People should also remeber C Newman was not even a bleep on the radar at rt age, and yet he is now a great player, get of his back, support him!

Kicked two but didn't touch it in between. Twice cost us goals with poor (SOFT) man marking. Two he kicked negated by the two let drift pass. Shocker on Saturday IMO yet got in the best?. That said, I like him and should stay in the 22.

Elmer said:
Kicked two but didn't touch it in between. Twice cost us goals with poor (SOFT) man marking. Two he kicked negated by the two let drift pass. Shocker on Saturday IMO yet got in the best?. That said, I like him and should stay in the 22.

No choice really, he can break lines and kick goals which not enough of the 22 can.

Rockster said:
At this level if you have not perfected the basics at 20 , then i suggest you pack up and go home ,
If all players were held to your requirements you wouldn't have a league Rock. They all make mistakes and flub a few possessions at times, even the superstars.

I'd rather have the kids running in the seniors than in coburg. The VFL is a crap league and they gain nothing from playing there. The more senior games we get into them the quicker they can adjust to the game at the highest level. Ritchie will come good. Mark my words.

Something out of left feild that may help in the confidence and development of Tambo is play him off the Half back line.
Watching Lids on the weekend and his confidence in the 2nd half was instrumental in us nearly winning the match.
2 speedsters on each flank where they can actually feed off each other and run straight ahead using their pace.

geoffryprettyboy said:

agree.let himloose, like allowing lids to bomb torps in year 1.