Tackling | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tackling

Motown said:

Sure is. Once they know the basics, then it's just a matter of practice.
Maybe you should be teaching your under 12s just that instead of trying to complicate things.
However if they tackle like Reg Reagan they'll no doubt be giving away a lot more free kicks. ;)

GoodOne said:
What about the one where you turn em upside down and drill their head into the turf. Only need to do 22 of those in a game and you have no opposition left.

The piledriver. Is Hulk Hogan still in the country?

tackling is of course something we need to improve... but the players also need to be more willing to take a hit - ie - shepherding for the ball carrier.

Tails said:
When I was at the Swans Tommy had Chicka Moore (Newtown Legend) and Wayne Pearce (Balmain) down to training and they both hammered everyone - it was no surprise that we were the best tackling side however I have probably tackled someone head-on in footy once or twice in my whole career, however playing League at School definately improved my tackling technique :p
There were very few better tacklers than Pearce. Chicka was a cult hero, much like Wendell Sailor more recently.

The side-on technique is most suited to AFL. It is very effective and can knock the stuffing out of an opponent. The recent increase in pinning the arms we see in AFL is also effective but can be dangerous if the player is then lifted and dumped........a bit like a spear tackle if it goes wrong and the player lands on his head/neck or shoulder.

Hayfever said:
These pics and especially the video clip below the pics explains it well:-

http://www.playrugbyleague.com.au/Coaching/coachingcentre/skillscentre/skills/sideontackle.php#videogrip

Speaking of Leaguies Hayfever, it'll be interesting to see how Karmichael Hunt goes and see if his technique is noticeably better than AFL players or not. No doubt he'll have a bit to learn about how to tackle in our game as well otherwise he'll be getting pinged regularly.

You say AFL leaves a lot to be desired when compared with league tackling but I'm sure you realise why the tackling techniques between the two codes are significantly different.
Rugby tackling is far more physical, primarily because the the majority of the game is based around it.
Where as a good AFL tackle is not based as much around physically wearing your opponent down(though it helps ;)), as it is about ideally winning a free kick and barring that, pressuring an opponent into turning the ball over.
Additionally another reason our tackles are seemingly less physical is there's a substantial difference in player body shapes.
Rugby players are primarily built to tackle. AFL players are primarily built to run.
Whilst strength and muscle is still clearly important in our game, it's unlikely that we'll ever be built like rugby players or need to be and league players won't need to run 18kms in a game.

So rugby's tackling style is quite different for pretty obvious reasons and whilst some elements may be useful, I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from it. Sure it's good to be open minded and draw something from other codes but when it comes to teaching good technique, I personally would far rather a tackling coach at my club who was a good exponent of a classic AFL tackle showing young players the ropes than wasting time having bulky players from another code regularly giving their two bob.

Hayfever said:
The recent increase in pinning the arms we see in AFL is also effective but can be dangerous if the player is then lifted and dumped........a bit like a spear tackle if it goes wrong and the player lands on his head/neck or shoulder.

Over the past few years there has been a clear directive from coaches to try and get players with the football to get their arms high so as they are able to dispose of the football even if they are tackled. Those footballers who are strong through the hips can do this to great effect. The best exponent of this is Gary Ablett Jnr in recent times.
This is why the pinning of the arms has become far more noticeable lately as it prevents players getting their arms high and releasing the ball. It's also a very effective technique in winning free kicks and turning the ball over.

Some example of good tackling techniques in our game are seen below.
As you can see it's a substantially different style from Rugby League and for good reason. It's a different game.

Kennedy_Rd1209_246c.jpg

r8-gsp-02-l.jpg

587456.jpg

The above isn't rocket science but there are no doubt good tacklers and poor ones.
I still believe that good tackling is primarily about mindset more than anything else but a combination of that and good technique is probably where the best answer lies.

as seen in those photos most afl tackles are from behind, and given the restrictions to the rules (ie) in the back, and only tackling between the shoulders and knees makes the technique far more critical to avoid frees.

most (not all) tackling done at both rugby codes is head on, its a crash and bash game and most tackles are done with multiple tacklers (high and low) mainly because of the size and strength of the mordern rugby player and their ability to free the arms and offload in the tackle

the 2 tackling techniques have some similarities but are quite differeant, having played 1st grade in both rugby codes and some local a/rules i can assure you of that

it is definately an issue for correct technique but there is certainly a high degree of attitude required to tackle in AFL, rugby you cant get away with not tackling but AFL you can - unfortunately

Tango said:
as seen in those photos most afl tackles are from behind, and given the restrictions to the rules (ie) in the back, and only tackling between the shoulders and knees makes the technique far more critical to avoid frees.
Since the more widespread adoption of the midfield zones by Adelaide et al, the opportunity/requirement for front-on tackling in AFL has increased, particularly given one of the techniques for "zone busting" is to run directly at it with numbers and handball. The nature of zone play is to square-up to the oncoming action and play the ball if it comes into your area through the air. The natural complement is that when the ball comes into your zone on the ground (ie carried), your job is to play the ball via the carrier. IMO, the difference between AFL and line sports such as Rugby at this point becomes quite small. One has to be able to execute a front-on tackle otherwise the defensive value of the zone is compromised in that it may stop the aerial ball-movement but is porous to movement along the ground. This is where improvement is needed. Against Hawthorn, for example, I would know I stand a better than average chance of running clean through any zone manned by Birchall or Ladson. They are ordinary tacklers and more so front-on. On the other hand, I'd be less confident running through Guerra's zone. Buddy? Run straight at him and you'll either get clean through or a free kick. Awful front-on technique. Get rid of it quickly, though, as he can chase you down and lay a "traditional" tackle.

Tigers of Old said:
As you can see it's a substantially different style from Rugby League and for good reason. It's a different game.
As concepts and strategies from other games make their way into football, so do the changed scenarios. When it was all "run with your man", the nature of action-reaction dictated that most tackling scenarios were oblique or from behind. Now that the zone is more prevalent and defenders are squared-up, so is the requirement to at least present the legitimate threat of a front-on tackle as I said above. If you want to play zone, you have to be able to tackle front-on, otherwise you're just presenting your team to be beaten in convenient one-person chunks.

The point about body shapes is true but not really relevant to the technique. Whether one is tackling the likes of Fui Fui or not, the basic technique to maximize one's chances is the same.

As for U12 football, that level is dominated by the larger kids with more confidence. Usually they don't beat the opposition through blinding pace and pin-point foot skills, they do it by running straight at/through kids who can't/won't tackle. The typical center square ruck contest will usually consist of random ruck tap followed by quick maul for the ball ending with a kid running straight down the ground. Plenty of kids will have the defensive angle and the opportunity to tackle. Almost none will get in the way and try to tackle, preferring to tail-chase and try to run them down, primarily because they've never been taught to do so. Instilling the confidence and technique to square up, get in the way and force the opposition to kick prematurely lest they be effectively tackled is the single quickest way to get the ball back at that level IMO so, arguably, front-on technique is just as important at that level as it is in the seniors. Proper technique mitigates shortcomings in pace. Proper technique allows kids who lack the natural ability to effectively contribute more. Proper technique reduces the chances of them getting hurt when "run over". It may be just be my club, but at the junior levels, all I see in terms of tackling training is some permutation of kids diving at tackle bags.

Bernie said:
That's a great post by Motown Hawk. Please see if Dimma can add Motown to our coaching panel.

Here here Nice post Motown.

All very logical but when you've been bought up on different things like running down from the rear etc it's nice to get some of these new techniques thrown out there.

Always new in Rugby League they're taught to pick out the weakest link and wear players down but that's more stop and start and easier to impliment but if you can get it drummed into the players which guys to go through and create holes it would work a treat.

With Dimma coming from Hawthorn I can see that being put into practice very quickly

Being a Canberra Raiders fan, I can still remember some of the front on hits applied by Mal Meninga amongst others at the Raiders.

NRL is a different game though having played it, you try for an overlap then bring the ball back in quickly to create a hole. AFL front on tackling if a player can do that great it will help the team immensely, as long as the tackled player is not then speared into the ground. The hip/shoulder, shirtfront seems to be pretty much gone now from the game, but if you can get your players to tackle really well front on, then you should be front in the tackle and free kick, stoppages, which has to help you win the ball and hopefully the game. Tackling front on also rules out having a free kick awarded against you unless you go high or too low (trip). Hopefully our guys are learning to be front on tacklers, but to do it they have to have muscle otherwise they will just get pushed over.

Tigers of Old said:
The above isn't rocket science but there are no doubt good tacklers and poor ones.
I still believe that good tackling is primarily about mindset more than anything else but a combination of that and good technique is probably where the best answer lies.

Here here ToO, application is useless if there is no intent. Players have to want to tackle and i know under Dimma they will want to tackle or they wont get a game.

Massai said:
Hopefully our guys are learning to be front on tacklers, but to do it they have to have muscle otherwise they will just get pushed over.
It's not so much about replicating the physicality of RL as that's not really appropriate to this game. Players won't readily barge tacklers as the penalty for failure is a change of possession as opposed to a reset.

I probably see more of it than you guys as the Hawks play that midfield zone a lot, but the main improvement I'd like to see is players not getting "stepped" so easily by executing the proper preparation for a front-on tackle and showing a capacity to execute it if taken on. As of now, too often (Hawk) players take bad angles, set up badly with a poor base and, consequently, get dodged far too easily. Fundamentally, each man in the zone has to be able to tackle if possible but, failing that, at least force a disposal and chip/bump/block the handballing player to impair him joining up further down field. If he can't do that then there's precious little point in him being there in the first place.

Without proper technique then desire alone will quickly get knocked out of the keenest of tacklers. Size also is less important than technique....as many of the best tacklers in AFL and League are smaller guys. The top 3 AFL tacklers in 2009 were Brett Kirk, Dominic Cassisi and Jude Bolton which proves this point.

Tackling in both codes continues to evolve. This article gives a very interesting perspective on how tackling in League has changed http://homepage.ntlworld.com/eileen.bright/Woolston/Think%20Coaching/Issue%2024%20-%20Tackling.pdf

Here are some quotes:-

We drilled at it because, in the old days, not that long ago, if you went to football training there was no
such thing as spending one minute on defence. “In reality, at training the coach should spend 50% of the time on defence and 50% on attack. That is what happens on game day

At the Broncos our primary target zone is from the belt line up and below where the ball is carried
[midriff] and that is for all tackles. The midriff area is a part the body that the player moves the least

Many tackles are missed because players don’t use their feet ‘to get to the tackle.
Players will plant their feet or place their feet wide apart and waiting for the ball carrier to come to them,
this is not good technique. The defender should take short steps to the tackle, so that if the ball runner does shift, the defender can
take his feet to where he wants to go

Tackling # 1 being fit ,too many tackles are brushed aside because the tackler has spent all his pennies getting to the ball carrier , # 2 intent , the desire to stop and bring the ball carrier to the ground is imperitave ,# 3 technique, once #'s 1 & 2 are under control and with plenty of correct practise # 3 is the icing on the cake, there used to be a # 4 but hurting your opponent is now being fazed/legislated out of the game , but i always thought there was some merrit in making an opponent sore and sometimes hesitant .

Motowns detailed explanation was damned interesting. Particularly when identifying which players you will not be effectively tackled by. Without the detail behind the zone & the holes it can create - are we overcomplicating what should still be a straight forward part of the game. And by the remark - I just mean the physical act of wrapping a bloke up. At the end of the day & from a junior level I was taught that an effective tackle was to pin the opponents arms to prevent him "legitimately" disposing of the ball (so I don't see that as really having changed), if you bring them down to ground - that can be a bonus but is not imperative as you can infringe (in the back etc). I used to delight in getting frees from guys bigger than me who assumed they would brush past - on the other front - yes, it was imperative if you anticipated being tackled to "keep your arms free". Get caught & while being taken/ slung towards the ground - you can still fire off a handball to a team mate.

What has really peeved me (& others).....is the poxy, wimpy, pathetic, one arm, token gestures that certain players of our once great club have demonstrated that that, is all they are prepared to do. I don't need to pick anyone out - I am sure there will be more than one name that springs to peoples minds when they think about it.

These things can & should be eradicated & hopefully under Hardwick they will be. Pressure & "implied" pressure is a wonderful weapon.

Hayfever said:
Hardwick has identified our #1 problem(kicking) and proactively set about doing something about it. Great stuff!

Our #2 problem is tackling. We were worst in the comp in 2007. In 2008 we improved our average tackles by 7% and were still the worst. In 2009 we improved it another 22% and to 11th in the AFL. Problem is the top teams are also lifting their tackle counts so we need at least another 10% improvement next season.

just thought i'd re-hash this. despite hardwick saying our focus is obtaining more defensive skills, we are still 16th in tackling. quite a disturbing stat really...

Ian4 said:
just thought i'd re-hash this. despite hardwick saying our focus is obtaining more defensive skills, we are still 16th in tackling. quite a disturbing stat really...

Not only that, but we have the ball the least out of everyone too.

So basically we have more opportunities to tackle than any other team, and are still last.

We cant tackle, we need Billy slater down there teaching how to tackle,
Our problem is when we do tackle, the player is still able to release the ball, (Last nite mcleod did 3 times)
We need to learn when you tackle you need to take that player out of the next play, must try to bring them to ground.

Tackles to Round 7:

Year Tackles per player
-----------------------
2010 2.71
2009 2.47
2008 1.83
2007 2.19
2006 1.99
2005 1.50
2004 2.01
2003 1.86
2002 1.81
2001 1.62
2000 1.38
1999 1.12
1998 1.53
1997 1.46
1996 1.43
1995 1.43
1994 0.98
1993 1.28
1992 1.02
1991 0.98
1990 1.16
1989 0.99
1988 1.20
1987 1.27

The execution needs work, but the intent is there.