Tackling | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tackling

I won't be watching training until January, but going by all reports on here it's obvious how pathetic Wallace & co were.

Keep drilling Dimma.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Doozle that the storm employ a true grappler themselves, John Donehue, who as you probably know better than me is a Gene LeBell black belt.

Personally I don’t think you need that for AFL, it’s a specialized type of tackling that takes a bit from a lot of sports but it’s got a lot better over the last 10 years. It’s now an art form of it’s own.

storm employ a true grappler, we get guys from the storm, should just cut out the middle man imo.

whilst i think tackling is different from grappling, employing techniques that specialize in controlling the body of your direct opponent, pinning them down, etc can only help. especially while we arent a team of muscled up tanks

Doolz85 said:
storm employ a true grappler, we get guys from the storm, should just cut out the middle man imo.

whilst i think tackling is different from grappling, employing techniques that specialize in controlling the body of your direct opponent, pinning them down, etc can only help. especially while we arent a team of muscled up tanks

Why stop at grappling?

We could have Roy Nelson as our nutritionist, Brock Lesnar as our PR guy and Kimbo Slice as an assistant coach just to boost the ratings.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Why stop at grappling?

We could have Roy Nelson as our nutritionist, Brock Lesnar as our PR guy and Kimbo Slice as an assistant coach just to boost the ratings.
Brock's very ill at the moment, from what is confidential apparently. Get Dana White for our PR. Roy and Kimbo ;D >:D

Doolz85 said:
Think it's more a sharing of techniques rather than employing anyone to do a specific job. Storm guys learn kicking and marking/ catching skills from AFL clubs while teaching tackling skills in return.
We obviously haven't been sharing anywhere near enough under previous regimes.

agree that we definately have to improve our tackling.
but not just that all the 1% need to be improved upon also. things such as
shepherding
smothers
blocking
protecting the ball carrier

these are all team orientated things, the are not shown up as stats, but boy do they help the team out.

Personally, I think if you want to improve our tackling, just get the boys to watch some videos of Trevor Gillmeister. Now there was a bloke who could tackle. The Axe was as brutal a tackler as you could ever wish to see.

keepa lids onit said:
agree that we definately have to improve our tackling.
but not just that all the 1% need to be improved upon also. things such as
shepherding
smothers
blocking
protecting the ball carrier

these are all team orientated things, the are not shown up as stats, but boy do they help the team out.

Exactly.
I consider blocking, protecting the ball carrier and shepherding as all being the same thing. If you do this (or these), tackling becomes so much harder for your opposition and easier for us. The main reason our tackling is so bad is because other teams do these things and we have no idea how to counteract it. There is no stat for this but it has been obvious for 10 years.

TT33 said:
Corralling, geee that really "gets up my goat" It's the most isipid thing that has EVER come into footy.
Thgere were times when I was watching the Tiges play & they were doing that stuff, fair dinkum I nearly ran out onto the ground & tackled the opposition team myself.

If we continue to do that cr@p in 2010 I will fair dinkum "spew up" :mad:

Most if not all teams corrall the ball, you just have to be smart about it. It puts the pressure on the kicker and a lot of the time they might turn it over.

but the way we did it was to stand there waving our arms, and watch the player kick it over our head :hihi

Tiger74 said:
but the way we did it was to stand there waving our arms, and watch the player kick it over our head :hihi

Its all a part of the transference of skills and effective techniques adopted by alternative sports
They got this one from the under 11 girls netball

Tiger74 said:

Yes, true. We were not good at it but then again there's not much we can do right at the moment.

Hayfever said:
Tigers of Old said:
It's far more important. Technique can be improved on slightly (ie pinning the arms) but most players know how tackle by under 12s.

A lot of our players still tackle like under 12's because their techniques have not improved since then!
I coach under 12s in Ballarat and very few kids in this comp can tackle well, so I wouldn't go assuming the blocks are being laid in place.

From what I've seen, there's just not a lot of emphasis on correct technique and approach. FWIW I'm a gridiron guy in amongst the true footy people, so I know FA amount a lot of things but a fair bit on the tackling and physical side of things. I see a lot of kids diving at bags (wtf is that all about?!), bouncing off bumping bags and lots of rather aimless running about trying to drag guys down from behind. Sure enough, on the weekends I see hand tackles, kids stepping out of the way and generally running about like sheepdogs completely oblivious to the concept of angles.

I assume they get better drilling the further up the ladder they go, but as far as fundamentals go, there's bugger all being taught at U12 level as far as I can see. It may well be that I'm in some sort of backwater, but given the number of kids that go on to higher levels from this town, it doesn't seem likely.

Motown said:
I coach under 12s in Ballarat and very few kids in this comp can tackle well, so I wouldn't go assuming the blocks are being laid in place.

From what I've seen, there's just not a lot of emphasis on correct technique and approach.

Maybe coaching is not for you then Motown25. ;)

Below the neck, above the knees, pin the arms and drive your opponent hard into the deck.

It ain't rocket science.

Tigers of Old said:
Maybe coaching is not for you then Motown25. ;)

Below the neck, above the knees, pin the arms and drive your opponent hard into the deck.

It ain't rocket science.
So you're the Richmond tackling coach! ;D

Motown said:
So you're the Richmond tackling coach! ;D

No but perhaps I should be. Hawthorn one too seeing as they aren't very good at it either.
Bottom line is tackling is one of the easiest skills in our game to learn. A willingness to do it is another matter.

Tigers of Old said:
No but perhaps I should be. Hawthorn one too seeing as they aren't very good at it either.
Bottom line is tackling is one of the easiest skills in our game to learn. A willingness to do it is another matter.
Disagree entirely. It's one of the hardest skills to learn and, once learnt, not that difficult to apply. The general standard of tackling across the AFL is very low but improving. Very few players know how to use their shoulder effectively when tackling.

Sydney's whole gameplan under Roos has been built around a hard-tackling defensive style. Interestingly St Kilda made a major improvement to top the AFL average tackle count in 2009......... no doubt Ross Lyon has added this ingredient. In 2007 they averaged 52.6 tackles per game and had 1941 points scored against them in the 22 rounds. In 2009 they averaged 73.1 tackles and had only 1411 scored against them. How much was due to improved technique and/or attitude I don't know. It would be interesting to find out how they went about it. They added Schneider(ex Swans) and Farren Ray(ex Bulldogs) who were good tackers and improved further at the Saints.