Tackling | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tackling

Tigers of Old said:
Bottom line is tackling is one of the easiest skills in our game to learn. A willingness to do it is another matter.
I don't disagree at all that attitude is the first building block. Without that there's no point in technique as it will remain unused anyway.

And, no, you're right, tackling isn't rocket science. It does like all skills, however, have some fundamentals. My observation was merely that they appeared to be ignored at U12 level, if my experience of the BFL is any indicator. Simple things like taking the right angles, body positioning and breaking down. The kids wouldn't whiff nearly as often if they had a better grounding in the basics.

Hayfever said:
Disagree entirely. It's one of the hardest skills to learn and, once learnt, not that difficult to apply. The general standard of tackling across the AFL is very low but improving. Very few players know how to use their shoulder effectively when tackling.

Sydney's whole gameplan under Roos has been built around a hard-tackling defensive style. Interestingly St Kilda made a major improvement to top the AFL average tackle count in 2009......... no doubt Ross Lyon has added this ingredient. In 2007 they averaged 52.6 tackles per game and had 1941 points scored against them in the 22 rounds. In 2009 they averaged 73.1 tackles and had only 1411 scored against them. How much was due to improved technique and/or attitude I don't know. It would be interesting to find out how they went about it. They added Schneider(ex Swans) and Farren Ray(ex Bulldogs) who were good tackers and improved further at the Saints.

I agree . learning to tackle properly is one of the hardest skills in the game. That's why not many do it well.

Tigers of Old said:
What you talking about fool? :mrt
How about a few facts then to support your blase assertion? Swans? St Kilda?

Or are you simply saying most AFL players have a poor attitude as professional footballers?

GoodOne said:
I agree . learning to tackle properly is one of the hardest skills in the game. That's why not many do it well.
Thanks GoodOne.

Anyone familiar with Rugby League or Union realises that AFL tackling leaves a lot to be desired.

A classic Union tackle would be called up as tripping in AFL wouldn't it ?

Baloo said:
A classic Union tackle would be called up as tripping in AFL wouldn't it ?
Not if it is around the ribcage or hips and the shoulder is used effectively. Yes if it is around the knees or lower.

Hayfever said:
Thanks GoodOne.

Anyone familiar with Rugby League or Union realises that AFL tackling leaves a lot to be desired.

Have broken a nose or two myself due to my poor tackling technique ;D

Hayfever said:
Not if it is around the ribcage or hips and the shoulder is used effectively. Yes if it is around the knees or lower.

Agree, but the classic Union tackle is around the thighs, slide arms down to the knees and pull in.

The other one is around the waist, pin the arms and drive the guy onto his shoulder which should hopefully pop his shoulder out.

What about the one where you turn em upside down and drill their head into the turf. Only need to do 22 of those in a game and you have no opposition left.

Baloo said:
Agree, but the classic Union tackle is around the thighs, slide arms down to the knees and pull in.

The other one is around the waist, pin the arms and drive the guy onto his shoulder which should hopefully pop his shoulder out.
These pics and especially the video clip below the pics explains it well:-

http://www.playrugbyleague.com.au/Coaching/coachingcentre/skillscentre/skills/sideontackle.php#videogrip

GoodOne said:
What about the one where you turn em upside down and drill their head into the turf. Only need to do 22 of those in a game and you have no opposition left
If someone did that then the AFL would have to introduce a send-off rule ;D

Hayfever said:
How about a few facts then to support your blase assertion? Swans? St Kilda?

What about them?
Their tackling numbers has more to do with style of game plan(ie heavy emphasis on pressuring the ball carrier in attacking and defensive 50s) and a more focussed 'team' attitude than improved individual tackling techniques and the the acquisition of Farren Ray :cutelaugh as you seem to be suggesting. :spin

Hayfever said:
Or are you simply saying most AFL players have a poor attitude as professional footballers?

No I am not saying that at all.

Hayfever said:
Few want to hear that sort of thing, though. Apparently it's the simplest of skills. Just run up to them, grab them below the neck, above the knees, pin the arms and drive your opponent hard into the deck. Simple ;)

GoodOne said:
What about the one where you turn em upside down and drill their head into the turf. Only need to do 22 of those in a game and you have no opposition left.
It's illegal, it's called a spear tackle. It was becoming more common in the AFL a few years ago, you can earn yourself a decent suspension in both AFL and ARL for doing it. I suspect you knew that already and were just being facetious, though.

Sheesh, how uninformed are you guys - everybody knows nobody tackles in union most of them are swinging doors. Leaguies just laugh at them, union is the most boring game of all time if you like watching fat blokes walk to a lineout or the ref blow it up every time the game gets energetic then that game is for you!! League is mostly about tackling head on, this requires a specific technique but there are some elements to their tackling techiques that do apply to the AFL. 1. Watch the hips 2. tackle with your head on the outside or you will knock yourself out 3. drive with your shoulder and knock the opponent off his line of momentum or 4. attack with your bicep / forearm with intent and 5. finish off your opponent and then look for the ball (with intent!)
When I was at the Swans Tommy had Chicka Moore (Newtown Legend) and Wayne Pearce (Balmain) down to training and they both hammered everyone - it was no surprise that we were the best tackling side however I have probably tackled someone head-on in footy once or twice in my whole career, however playing League at School definately improved my tackling technique :p