Squad for NAB Round 1 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Squad for NAB Round 1

tigertim said:
The thing I don't get with yesterday's very young squad is the logic behind it. It makes it very hard to perform well when your side is so young which means it's very hard to judge performance.

I wonder why we don't have a more balanced side of experienced and inexperienced players.

Of best 22 we were missing Martin, Cotchin, Houli, Jack, Rance, Ivan, Deledio, Edwards, Miles among others.
There were 8 - 10 best 22 missing. It highlights how 'seriously' the club took the game. We didn't even have our senior coach calling the shots.

keepa lids onit said:
Silly.
If he and Elton aren't blooded in these games when will they be????
Might have been extremely smart move by the coaches.
Elton n Beanie have been on the list for a while n against a near full strength Freo over in W.A. with us having a big look at lots of kiddies. Both Beanie n Elton's performances may well have been obliterated in such a crap side.
Put them into the team when it's at or near full strength n get a proper look at what they've got for us.

TigerMasochist said:
Might have been extremely smart move by the coaches.
Elton n Beanie have been on the list for a while n against a near full strength Freo over in W.A. with us having a big look at lots of kiddies. Both Beanie n Elton's performances may well have been obliterated in such a crap side.
Put them into the team when it's at or near full strength n get a proper look at what they've got for us.

Yep. Definites for the Hawks next week.

Kaelan said:
Have never seen Lambert as a best 22 , more of a squad player but was really concerned by his panicked disposal . Not sure of his clanger count but was doing his best Stevie Morris impersonation .

He was very composed last year. Maybe he's better with better players around him?

CarnTheTiges said:
There were 8 - 10 best 22 missing. It highlights how 'seriously' the club took the game. We didn't even have our senior coach calling the shots.

Mocker of the NAB

Having an inexperienced side is no excuse for the poor movement of the ball by all of our players. It was evident the game plan for moving the ball was to chip it and handball it to move it forward. The windy conditions was not a factor here for this plan. We saw Freo move it from one end to the other with long kicks and moving into space. Granted they were experienced but that's the way their coach has taught them.

Last night was evident Dimma is sticking to the same old movement style and there was nothing different I saw that says a new game plan is on the cards.

What was taught to these boys over summer? Some of them have been around for more than two seasons.

axlefoley said:
Having an inexperienced side is no excuse for the poor movement of the ball by all of our players. It was evident the game plan for moving the ball was to chip it and handball it to move it forward. The windy conditions was not a factor here for this plan.

Happy to call *smile* on this. Most of the players had one or two pre seasons and minimal senior experience under the belt, so obviously when the heat comes on from a very experienced team, the first option is to try n find a short, safe n cheap target trying not to give the ball away. With so many inexperienced players there's often minimal movement and support providing options or demanding the ball as there is with a team of experienced players.

We saw Freo move it from one end to the other with long kicks and moving into space. Granted they were experienced but that's the way their coach has taught them.
Yep, the coach has been teaching them, n their players as a whole were very very experienced at how to play the game. Strange that for all their experience n all the coaches teaching of the game plan of long kicks into space. Freo still didn't manage a very big score against a second string side.

This not meant to be a negative. After watching the game I have to say I did not see anyone of the newbies who really impressed me. Also watched the Blues game and that was a different story altogether. Yesterday one of the North players stood out as did Mills of the Swans. Maybe if we had a few more experience players in the side ours would have performed better.

If the intention was to just blood the new guys then that was achieved I suppose.

axlefoley said:
Having an inexperienced side is no excuse for the poor movement of the ball by all of our players. It was evident the game plan for moving the ball was to chip it and handball it to move it forward. The windy conditions was not a factor here for this plan. We saw Freo move it from one end to the other with long kicks and moving into space. Granted they were experienced but that's the way their coach has taught them.

Last night was evident Dimma is sticking to the same old movement style and there was nothing different I saw that says a new game plan is on the cards.

What was taught to these boys over summer? Some of them have been around for more than two seasons.

I disagree totally. Having experience makes a vast difference to your ability to move the ball quickly and efficiently and enact the game plan. Experienced players know when to lead, where to lead and can give valuable on ground advice to the youngsters. I have no doubt whatsoever that if a number of Deledio, Martin, Cotchin, Edwards, Miles, Reiwoldt, Rance were in that younger players would have potentially performed better.

I'm a bit miffed personally that we would play such an inexperienced side against a full Fremantle outfit.

As proven over the years, what happens in the pre season means squat, injuries are the only thing that can change the season ahead

Tigers of Old said:
Last years Grand Finalists Wet Toast just got beat by 100.
Sums up the pre season really. Can't take a lot away from the results. When there was a cup didn't Carlton win it twice and wind up taking the wooden spoon both times?

Tigers of Old said:
Last years Grand Finalists Wet Toast just got beat by 100.
Two beltings in a row for Wet Coke. Things are looking ominous, one hit wonders n a foot firmly on the slippery slope :eek:.

Practice matches, they mean squat unless you cop some major injuries. It's simply a time to get some match hardness into your playing list, ensure your game structures are working as practiced over summer, have a look at some potential kids to see what they might offer in the near future.