Sign Jack now!!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sign Jack now!!!!

He is crucial to our future success.
If one of, Griffiths, Astbury, Post or Westoff can make the grade we will have the makings of a potent forward line.

lukeanddad said:
Our problem in the past is not so much that we signed 3-yr deals, it was who we signed them with. The likes of Hall, Tivendale & Fiora were mediocre - and youngish - players, with long term deals. The line throughthese guys would extend to the likes of White, McGuane and Nahas (ie they may become serviceable 150-game players, but not A-Graders).

Jack is not in that category. He is already good - and may one day, become a very good (great?) player. I'd like us to lock hime in. He is certainly capable of being our long term #1 KPF.

Spot on l&d :fing32
This is no longer the Casey and Miller show!

It is about making sensible and well informed decisions. We're not talking about Rance, Post and others that may or may not get there. We are only beginning to develop a small but very solid core group or players that can win us our next premiership, and it is these guys, like Martin, Cotchin, Lids & Jack that we need to keep out of the reach of GC and GWS.

Also, from the club's perspective, the longer they wait, the more costly the contracts will become.

jeez a fortnight's a long time on footy. Two weeks ago JR was a skinny, slow, selfish, show pony half forward flanker with an attitude problem. This week he's the key to our next flag. ::)

mb64 said:
No,but his market value could reduce
What a ridiculous attitude, if we use that mantra to negotiate our player contracts we'll never go anywhere

What if the players doesn't get injured and keeps improving as they are now? Then the shorter contract will need to be much higher next time. It works both ways you know.

... not sure where this '2 weeks' reference is coming from. Jack has had a very good year and the numbers support this. All - and more than - you would expect from a 21 year old. This is reflected in the responses to the contention that 'Jack is lazy'.

tigergollywog said:
jeez a fortnight's a long time on footy. Two weeks ago JR was a skinny, slow, selfish, show pony half forward flanker with an attitude problem. This week he's the key to our next flag. ::)

Two weeks ago he was exactly the same and yes he is the key to our next flag because we have a budding midfield but only one top shelf quality tall forward ATM.

ZeroGame said:
What a ridiculous attitude, if we use that mantra to negotiate our player contracts we'll never go anywhere

What if the players doesn't get injured and keeps improving as they are now? Then the shorter contract will need to be much higher next time. It works both ways you know.
I'm happy with 3 year deals but not 5.5 year deals are too dangerous.

tigergollywog said:

Not sure I can work out what you're on about gollgosh. I think you'll find it was old Crumpet leading a relatively small group of Jack bashers,rather than the general consensus. Barking up the wrong tree here

Opulentus Tigris said:
Jack was also a HFF, and in no way a KPP. 2 weeks is indeed a long time.

People keep saying that OT, but that doesn't seem to stop Jack from playing like one. Hardly playing on half-back flankers is he?
Extra bulk over the next few years will help without question, but what else do you want from a 21 year old?

NZtiger said:
Not sure I can work out what you're on about gollgosh. I think you'll find it was old Crumpet leading a relatively small group of Jack bashers,rather than the general consensus. Barking up the wrong tree here

People keep saying that OT, but that doesn't seem to stop Jack from playing like one. Hardly playing on half-back flankers is he?
Extra bulk over the next few years will help without question, but what else do you want from a 21 year old?

I dont remember Buddy and Roughy getting this much stick! and Jacks numbers are better than one of them ;)

Disco08 said:
I don't understand the negativity toward long term contracts. In most sports signing a good young player to a contract that secures him through his prime is considered a real coup.

I agree Disco. We have made a hash of a few of these in the past I would admit, but what is the general problem with longer term contracts if you do your homework?

Deledio is out of contract in 2012
Cotchin in 2013
If we sign Riewoldt on a 4 year deal he is out of contract in 2014.
Could that makes things easier with total player payments if the club wanted to front load their respective contracts on renewal.
Just a thought :help

Streak said:
I agree Disco. We have made a hash of a few of these in the past I would admit, but what is the general problem with longer term contracts if you do your homework?

I don’t see much wrong with long term contracts if the money is a logical amount.
Its long term contracts on over inflated wages that hurt.

B1

a massive..and vital part of our future..he has been been awesome lately..and i love his spirit...he is the next hero of the club,the next richo type, great character,personality and can play...my ten year old loves him already...
sign him for five...

Sitting in 5th place on the Coleman medal leaderboard with 29 goals. Only 5 goals behind the leader (Fev). Not too shabby for a 21 year old!

Go Jack!