Set Shot Goal Kicking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Set Shot Goal Kicking

Nico said:
I get that, but Cotch looks so unnatural kicking at goal, and what he's doing isn't working. If you put a wheelie bin 50 metres away at training and told him to work up some speed and then kick it from 40 out and try to hit it, he'll get close most times. He freezes up going for goal, like a lot of players. Pick someone in the crowd, run in a straight line, drop the ball onto your kicking foot, kick your leg straight to the target in the crowd, and follow through. It's a very simple skill that all AFL players should have mastered.

A good analogy is public speaking.

We can all 'talk' in our own time, but put the spotlight on us and most of us will sound shaky (definitely shakier than when talking normally).

We can say "just imagine you're talking to your best friend and nobody is watching you" but it doesn't work.

The same applies to goal kicking. It simply doesn't work to ask him to imagine kicking to a team mate. He would've tried that technique from when he was 12 years old.

To this point in time, nobody in the AFL has figured out a method to improve goal kicking that works on everybody. I'd suggest looking outside the fishbowl. Find an expert in biofeedback control from the U.S. Ask him to devise a series of instructions one could follow to alter their physiology in that specific situation. Someone like that would probably provide better advice than most people in the AFL world. Players don't explore outside the AFL universe enough IMO.

Chimptastic said:
A good analogy is public speaking.

We can all 'talk' in our own time, but put the spotlight on us and most of us will sound shaky (definitely shakier than when talking normally).

We can say "just imagine you're talking to your best friend and nobody is watching you" but it doesn't work.

The same applies to goal kicking. It simply doesn't work to ask him to imagine kicking to a team mate. He would've tried that technique from when he was 12 years old.

To this point in time, nobody in the AFL has figured out a method to improve goal kicking that works on everybody. I'd suggest looking outside the fishbowl. Find an expert in biofeedback control from the U.S. Ask him to devise a series of instructions one could follow to alter their physiology in that specific situation. Someone like that would probably provide better advice than most people in the AFL world. Players don't explore outside the AFL universe enough IMO.

The more you have to get up and speak, the better you get at it (well at least it worked for me :), following that line of thought, practice is the answer. Do they practice at training enough ???

joegarra said:
The more you have to get up and speak, the better you get at it (well at least it worked for me :), following that line of thought, practice is the answer. Do they practice at training enough ???

If they don't, then they really should.

Just as another analogy, the greatest golfers in the world have the mental ability to picture an entirely different scenario in their heads, puts them in a comfortable and relaxed frame of mind. For example, they may picture a perfect wide green fairway instead of the lake/bunkers/rough etc that is challenging that shot. Using the mental picture, they minimize any fear of failure, and play their shot with confidence, even when the stakes are at their highest.

This scenario would be similar to set shot goal kicking. The kick is an action that can be learned and ingrained into muscle memory, but it only takes a slight jitter or incorrect movement to put you way off course in trajectory. Its learning to get over the mental hurdle that needs to be addressed. Hopefully the yips aren't permanent, because we all know he can kick the football as well as anyone in general play. It is a worry though that he keeps missing.

Yep, the whole practice of goal kicking needs to be refined. The mental side, the physical side the practical side. Each and every kick needs to be a refined and concentrated action.

tigertim said:
Yep, the whole practice of goal kicking needs to be refined. The mental side, the physical side the practical side. Each and every kick needs to be a refined and concentrated action.
Yep. Lindsay Thomas from the Kangas would be the perfect example. Had the Yips so bad he could hardly hit the scoreboard. Built a routine n practiced n practiced some more. Now an elite set shot for goal.

TigerMasochist said:
Yep. Lindsay Thomas from the Kangas would be the perfect example. Had the Yips so bad he could hardly hit the scoreboard. Built a routine n practiced n practiced some more. Now an elite set shot for goal.

Yep, it's 95% technique and repetition, 5% relaxation. 6000 hours practice should do it!