Set Shot Goal Kicking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Set Shot Goal Kicking

CC TIGER said:
Superstitions or not TF its all part of routine, best Golfers in the world take exactly the same steps each time from behind the ball to set up, same waggles ,same pre shot visualisation, like anything the more repetitive the less chance of mistake an other mental demons getting in
They said that about Richo, he never had a proper routine. I remember Jack said that the year it all clicked for him he spent a large chunk of that going out with Danny Daly and just taking shots at goal.

why wouldn't you practice shots at goal?? it is what wins games. create a routine for yourself. get comfortable. focus!!

Tigers of Old said:
It's definitely more mental than technique. They can't handle the pressure.

Totally agree.

Got outworked in the last quarter as well. They didn't work back hard enough, and struggled with their defensive structure when the game was on the line.

Need to get tougher.

What amazes me is that we are so consistent in all areas except goal-kicking. We pretty much play exactly the same game every week and generate pretty much the same number of scoring opportunities every game. It is like clockwork.

It is not as if we end up with 30 scoring shots in a win and 15 in a loss- it is pretty much 25 shots at goal give or take 3 every week.

Kick 14 goals 12 and we win, kick 10 goals 16 and we lose.

Why aren't they spending hours practising kicking at goal? It is the Achilles heel.

TOT70 said:
What amazes me is that we are so consistent in all areas except goal-kicking. We pretty much play exactly the same game every week and generate pretty much the same number of scoring opportunities every game. It is like clockwork.

It is not as if we end up with 30 scoring shots in a win and 15 in a loss- it is pretty much 25 shots at goal give or take 3 every week.

Why aren't they spending hours practising kicking at goal? It is the Achilles heel.

Because without Jack, we ain't got a forward line.

TOT70 said:

It's a conundrum.
I can see it now. We'll kick 11 goals 3 points, they'll kick 10 goals 12 points. ;)

Ridley said:
Golden opportunity blown. This loss could prove extremely costly in the wash up.

As of right now our set shot goal kicking has cost us 4th spot.

We blew it. Big time.

Ridley said:
As of right now our set shot goal kicking has cost us 4th spot.

We blew it. Big time.

Yep. A golden opportunity wasted.

I hope it burns in the pit of their stomachs

I reckon we need to increase the height of the Punt Rd goal posts. They are lower that all AFL venue posts and I reckon that throws off the boys when they practice kicking at those posts hundreds of times a week. Have no idea why, in a professional club like ours, we can spend a few grand or whatever to emulate the posts at the G.

BrisTiger24 said:
I reckon we need to increase the height of the Punt Rd goal posts. They are lower that all AFL venue posts and I reckon that throws off the boys when they practice kicking at those posts hundreds of times a week. Have no idea why, in a professional club like ours, we can spend a few grand or whatever to emulate the posts at the G.

Why are they looking at the tops of the goal posts for?
Just pick a target behind the goal posts and hit it. It shouldn't matter if they're a metre high or 10 metres high. It's the same process.

poppa x said:
Ah the good ole Richo theory.

My comment is a slight variation of Richo's theory (which I agree with FWIW). My comment is why leave it to chance? Replicate as much as you possibly can at your training venue to where you play most of your games.

BrisTiger24 said:
My comment is a slight variation of Richo's theory (which I agree with FWIW). My comment is why leave it to chance? Replicate as much as you possibly can at your training venue to where you play most of your games.

Do they get many goals when kicking at PR? What if they've been missing them as well. Maybe we could average the goal post heights ;D

willo said:
Why are they looking at the tops of the goal posts for?
Just pick a target behind the goal posts and hit it. It shouldn't matter if they're a metre high or 10 metres high. It's the same process.

That's what you do in a perfect world. But don't discount the power of the subconscious.

BrisTiger24 said:
That's what you do in a perfect world. But don't discount the power of the subconscious.

True. Anything that may help is worth the cost and effort I guess. If they then continue to miss, deduct the costs from their wages.

don't even look at the goal posts

just kick it to the goal umpire, like having kick to kick,

assume the goal umpire is your mate at the other end

of course, kick it high enough to clear the defenders at the line

Think back to that first quarter at Subiaco in round 10, 8.1. Overall we kicked 15.7. Oddly we won.
This week we kicked 10.18 and lost but all the focus is on Houli's last kick?!?!?