Set Shot Goal Kicking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Set Shot Goal Kicking

yes, but not in the 'pockets". The kicker in rugby and league can go back as far as they want to decrease the angle - in ALF it would be play on for moving a poofteenth of your line

Its not just missed set shots that hurt. what I can't stand is a player running into an open goal (was it Lloyd?) and trying to kick it across the body. Just kick it straight ffs

On Jack imho because he's been doing so many round the corner set shots, I reckon his balance is too much on his back foot an that's why his spraying his standard set shot to the right atm....few long sessions in front of goal an he'd be fixed

He had a shocker last night. On the radio they went after his 1/2 efforts at critical times. I think they pointed out 4 that directly resulted in goals. They basically said he wasn't putting his body on the line to bring a contest when he was the only player in position to do so. A game I think he'd like to forget.

Sydney went from one of the worst converting teams to the best in 2012 and won the flag. They made it a specific issue in the pre-season. Staggering it is not a primary focus considering the reward is six times what you get for missing.

It's unbelievable that coaches can't find time for goal kicking practice, what a load of rot.

Too think kicking crucial goals when dead in front can be the difference between winning and losing a tight match..

Oh that's right these coaches prefer to work on the defensive aspect of the game, where it's now leading to people comp
complaining about the state of our game...

And they wonder why people are losing interest in our great game...

tigers80 said:
It's unbelievable that coaches can't find time for goal kicking practice, what a load of rot.

Too think kicking crucial goals when dead in front can be the difference between winning and losing a tight match..

Oh that's right these coaches prefer to work on the defensive aspect of the game, where it's now leading to people complIng about the state of our game...

And they wonder why people are losing interest in our great game...
Agree....an there's no doubt it's something that can be improved by simply working hard at it

I wonder if the club has ever considered getting a NFL place kicker coach to visit Punt Road. Even if it was for a week in the off season I think they may be able to share some valuable knowledge on foot position on impact, follow through etc. Those dudes are certainly very reliable.

evo said:
I wonder if the club has ever considered getting a NFL place kicker coach to visit Punt Road. Even if it was for a week in the off season I think they may be able to share some valuable knowledge on foot position on impact, follow through etc. Those dudes are certainly very reliable.

Cam Newton woz there.

I wonder if there's a position called "goal kicking coach" , someone whose job it is is to spend time with every player throughout the week just concentrating on goal kicking.

I think there's a weights coach, a boxing coach, a sprint coach, a doctor, a physiotherapist ........but the one thing that conclusively wins games (kicking goals) I don't think there's a coach/role for it.

Yes there's a forwards coach I know but that's not the role I'm talking about. Could be wrong though, maybe there is a goal kicking coach.

I spoke to Griffiths a couple of months ago re his goal kicking , he said the thing he works on is how s ball drop ,simple as that. People use to laugh at Matt Lloyd throwing the grass up, it was just simply part of repetitive routine no matter the angle, always the same routine

CC TIGER said:
I spoke to Griffiths a couple of months ago re his goal kicking , he said the thing he works on is how s ball drop ,simple as that. People use to laugh at Matt Lloyd throwing the grass up, it was just simply part of repetitive routine no matter the angle, always the same routine

Lloyd's throwing the grass was more on superstitions as much as Raf Nadal's little pray on his face is before serving. Maybe Josh Kennedy's stutter steps are more routine.

tigertim said:
Rd17: 10.18
16: 13:11
15: 10:11
14: 10:18
13: 14:11
12: 10:10
11: bye
10: 15:7
9: 10:12
8: 11:10
7: 16:9
6: 10:14
5: 11:10
4: 6:15
3: 21:11
2: 9:12
1: 15:15

G:191: B:194

385 scoring shots. 49.6% accuracy. Obviously that'd be better without the rushed behinds but that's the same for all teams. I've said this before but how professional AFL footy players are only a 50% chance of scoring a goal is astounding.

our goal kicking % at the MCG is shocking

TigerForce said:
Lloyd's throwing the grass was more on superstitions as much as Raf Nadal's little pray on his face is before serving. Maybe Josh Kennedy's stutter steps are more routine.
Superstitions or not TF its all part of routine, best Golfers in the world take exactly the same steps each time from behind the ball to set up, same waggles ,same pre shot visualisation, like anything the more repetitive the less chance of mistake an other mental demons getting in

CC TIGER said:

Us golfers understand this, a pre shot routine, it's why Matt Lloyd was so reliable. A goal in junk time when you are 50 points up, or after the siren when you are down by 5 points in the grand final, it should always be exactly the same. So many of these blokes are excellent kicks, it all comes down to who can keep a clear head and follow the routine. Easier said than done, but I would have a sports psych down there rather than a kicking coach. You can't tell me that Griffiths, Riewoldt, Martin or Cotch don't already have good technique.

Of course the other issue that is often overlooked by many is the skill drop off with fatigue, but this is much harder to combat.

CC TIGER said:
Superstitions or not TF its all part of routine, best Golfers in the world take exactly the same steps each time from behind the ball to set up, same waggles ,same pre shot visualisation, like anything the more repetitive the less chance of mistake an other mental demons getting in

Snap!

linuscambridge said:
Us golfers understand this, a pre shot routine, it's why Matt Lloyd was so reliable. A goal in junk time when you are 50 points up, or after the siren when you are down by 5 points in the grand final, it should always be exactly the same. So many of these blokes are excellent kicks, it all comes down to who can keep a clear head and follow the routine. Easier said than done, but I would have a sports psych down there rather than a kicking coach. You can't tell me that Griffiths, Riewoldt, Martin or Cotch don't already have good technique.

Of course the other issue that is often overlooked by many is the skill drop off with fatigue, but this is much harder to combat.
That's why you train how you play.....set shot kicking practice should not be just half arsed shots at goal when your nice an relaxed.....1 should be a 50 metre run sprint as if worked to get the ball, 2 should be somebody on the mark, not this cut out cardboard crap that gives you a guide that's not there in a game. 3 routine weather it means 10 steps ,15 , whatever it is , should be done to the exact each time an under pressure...I.e kick 5-10 in a row from 30 straight in front...kicking simple shots from in front in practice shouldn't be underrated....Anikka Sorestram best woman golfer ever use to practice sinking 100 18 inch putts all the time