Set Shot Goal Kicking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Set Shot Goal Kicking

Tigers of Old said:
Think back to that first quarter at Subiaco in round 10, 8.1. Overall we kicked 15.7. Oddly we won.
This week we kicked 10.18 and lost but all the focus is on Houli's last kick?!?!?

Houli deserves heat for his decision making, but we lost the game because we didn't kick goals that professional footballers should kick.

Champion data has tweeted we had 7 posters against Freo. 7! the equal most ever recorded.
They say footy is a game of inches. Easy win to us if they go through.
Tidy it up Tiges..

As I've said previously , speaking to Griffiths recently his set shot goal kicking thoughts revolve around a technique thought.....no gun sportsman is thinking technique when they shot

Tigers of Old said:
Champion data has tweeted we had 7 posters against Freo. 7! the equal most ever recorded.
They say footy is a game of inches. Easy win to us if they go through.
Tidy it up Tiges..
And most if not all were gettable shots.

In the context of how this season is poised this was a game we needed to win.

Davidos said:
our gameplan means we take shots from wide areas

This contributes to our inaccuracy

Doesn't excuse the sodas we miss.

Worst conversion of any team in the corridor.

at the end of training there used to be mini comps having set shots at goal

30 out , in front , on the boundary , basically anywhere
david king would always challenge them , even us trainers would occasionally
get in on the action then help property round up the balls ( if I kicked a goal and the forward wouldn't , I say backline for you lol, it would always get a response, even from the coaching staff )
IMHO players at that level should rarely miss inside 30 metres

lids would be the most competitive one , never wanting to lose

im guessing this isn't happening anymore

Cotch simply needs to change his whole approach. its not working. Maybe go back 30m. take a bounce, and drill it over the goal umpires head?? Anything new to what he is doing now would be an improvement. :help

Tiger Pops said:
Cotch simply needs to change his whole approach. its not working. Maybe go back 30m. take a bounce, and drill it over the goal umpires head?? Anything new to what he is doing now would be an improvement. :help

Good call. He needs some help with it. Has become almost chronic.

What about something like trying to pass to someone in the crowd behind the goals?

Most of these players are very good field kicks. Whilst not perfect, you would think that at least it would improve their accuracy perhaps?

OR lay on the grass, get 4 on the mark and piracously drill it over the umpires head... And for Dusty, run at a 45 degree angle and drill it through with his trademark right foot banana.. I bet he would kick more goals from 35 with bananas than with drop punts!

Tiger Pops said:
And for Dusty, run at a 45 degree angle and drill it through with his trademark right foot banana.. I bet he would kick more goals from 35 with bananas than with drop punts!

Probably, but he misses one and everyone will be shouting for him to go the drop punt...

T-Shirt Tommy said:
What about something like trying to pass to someone in the crowd behind the goals?

Most of these players are very good field kicks. Whilst not perfect, you would think that at least it would improve their accuracy perhaps?

Yep. Cotch hits players in general play say 9 out of 10 times. Go back plenty on the mark, run in with more speed and put in on the chest of someone in the crowd 10 rows back...between the goals that is. He looks so rigid when he's shooting for goal. This can easily be fixed.

Not a big fan of Jack's screw kick going for goal. What if he has to take a shot for goal after the siren?

Nico said:
Yep. Cotch hits players in general play say 9 out of 10 times. Go back plenty on the mark, run in with more speed and put in on the chest of someone in the crowd 10 rows back...between the goals that is. He looks so rigid when he's shooting for goal. This can easily be fixed.

I've seen people say this everywhere, but it's incorrect.

I'm not necessarily talking about Cotchin here, but with field kicking you're required to kick to a leading player. This requires being a good judge of the 3-dimensional space around the player you need to kick to. You're assessing space + time in a split second under pressure. And if you make a mistake, the leading player can adjust the speed they approach the ball to compensate.

Goal kicking is totally different.

Disco Roach, Mike Pickering and Chris Naish were 3 of the best shots at goal i can remember in my time as a Tigers fan.

Phil Egan was pretty good too if i remember correctly.

craig said:
Disco Roach, Mike Pickering and Chris Naish were 3 of the best shots at goal i can remember in my time as a Tigers fan.

Phil Egan was pretty good too if i remember correctly.

Wayne Campbell was also very good.

Goal kicking is attitude and mostly a mental thing.

Cotchy feels the eyes on him and the pressure when hes lining up no doubt and more players feel it than not.

Chimptastic said:
I've seen people say this everywhere, but it's incorrect.

I'm not necessarily talking about Cotchin here, but with field kicking you're required to kick to a leading player. This requires being a good judge of the 3-dimensional space around the player you need to kick to. You're assessing space + time in a split second under pressure. And if you make a mistake, the leading player can adjust the speed they approach the ball to compensate.

Goal kicking is totally different.

I get that, but Cotch looks so unnatural kicking at goal, and what he's doing isn't working. If you put a wheelie bin 50 metres away at training and told him to work up some speed and then kick it from 40 out and try to hit it, he'll get close most times. He freezes up going for goal, like a lot of players. Pick someone in the crowd, run in a straight line, drop the ball onto your kicking foot, kick your leg straight to the target in the crowd, and follow through. It's a very simple skill that all AFL players should have mastered.