Scientology | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Scientology

Streak said:
Why exactly should I show any religion respect? I'm happy to hear from anyone who wants to answer this question.

Well you should because...ummm..... :headscratch...hmmm.... :headscratch :headscratch....nope, got nothing :)

Panthera tigris FC said:
The right to practice? Sure. The specific tenets? I think not.

That is the way I see it Panthera, as long as practising it only involves those who willingly want to participate, and they don't impact on me.

Personally, if anyone wants to believe in Scientology, thats fine. Biggest load of crap I have ever heard of, but that is cool.

And for the record, I don't see why religions should get tax-free status. Only their charities and charitable work should. Have a license system or something.

I'll be blowed if I can see why Sanitarium should enjoy tax-free status because it is owned by a 'religion'. Absolute joke.

Streak said:
That is the way I see it Panthera, as long as practising it only involves those who willingly want to participate, and they don't impact on me.

Personally, if anyone wants to believe in Scientology, thats fine. Biggest load of crap I have ever heard of, but that is cool.

And for the record, I don't see why religions should get tax-free status. Only their charities and charitable work should. Have a license system or something.

I'll be blowed if I can see why Sanitarium should enjoy tax-free status because it is owned by a 'religion'. Absolute joke.

Yep. That pretty much sums up my views on the matter.

Interesting new light on scientology activities. You'd sure as hell hope the government school funding bodies would have some means of ensuring all grant money is being spent on education and not siphoned-off.

"Yarralinda School in Mooroolbark with links to scientology spends among the lowest per student in Australia despite receiving thousands of dollars in government funding."

"My School website reveals Yarralinda School spent $3727 per student in 2009, despite receiving $6171 per student in combined government funding and $4609 per student in fees. Most of Yarralinda's income - $7765 per student - was allocated to paying off debts, according to My School."

"Victoria's independent schools spend an average of $15,201 per student, while government schools spend an average $10,178 per student."

"A former board member at Yarralinda, Paul Schofield, who resigned in 2009, alleged the school's debt repayments were so high because the school had taken out a mortgage to lend money to the Church of Scientology for its headquarters in Ascot Vale."

http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/school-denies-scientology-deal-20110323-1c6sf.html

Azza said:
Interesting new light on scientology activities. You'd sure as hell hope the government school funding bodies would have some means of ensuring all grant money is being spent on education and not siphoned-off.

"Yarralinda School in Mooroolbark with links to scientology spends among the lowest per student in Australia despite receiving thousands of dollars in government funding."

"My School website reveals Yarralinda School spent $3727 per student in 2009, despite receiving $6171 per student in combined government funding and $4609 per student in fees. Most of Yarralinda's income - $7765 per student - was allocated to paying off debts, according to My School."

"Victoria's independent schools spend an average of $15,201 per student, while government schools spend an average $10,178 per student."

"A former board member at Yarralinda, Paul Schofield, who resigned in 2009, alleged the school's debt repayments were so high because the school had taken out a mortgage to lend money to the Church of Scientology for its headquarters in Ascot Vale."

http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/school-denies-scientology-deal-20110323-1c6sf.html
All I can say to this is wow... just wow!

I REALLY hope the Govt is on top of this and now!

Streak said:

Agree entirely.

Streak said:

Yes. and not just tax breaks. there's many legal loopholes that allow them to avoid litigation