Scientology | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Scientology

Tigertool said:
;D Ok, I am not trying to get into a heated debate here, I am just saying.

A) Scientology IS actually a religion. It doesn't matter how it started up. It doesn't change the fact it is a religion.
Whether or not you agree with it, is not what I am getting into.

B) All religion should be shown respect.
I don't care how controversial is.

:)

There are a lot of people who believe footy and Friday night beers are also a religion.
It should be tax deductible!

willo said:
There are a lot of people who believe footy and Friday night beers are also a religion.
It should be tax deductible!

Haha! ;D

K3 said:
Is all good mate :) I think it's an interesting discussion point, plus it is fun trying to get you to change your opinion :hihi

Here's a question for you... you have stated that you believe it IS a religion. How does this point of view stand up to a Power Government (Germany) saying it ISN'T a religion and it is in fact a CULT, which they have banned?

:) Its always fun trying change peoples opinion's! But this is something I stand firm on! ;D

I never said I believed it was a religion, I said it IS a religion. Therefore, respect.

Well, you are never going to find something that is accepted 100%, if it is global. So to have ONE country, out of many, decide its a cult, isn't too bad! ;)

Scientology's religious status is really interesting country to country. In Australia, Portugal and Spain it is considered a genuine religion with all the tax breaks,.Uk and Canada don't think they are a religion but rather a commercial operation and Germany treats them as a pariah, almost to the point of trying to ban them.

Seems to me to fit all the criteria of a genuine religion.

evo said:
Scientology's religious status is really interesting country to country. In Australia, Portugal and Spain it is considered a genuine religion with all the tax breaks,.Uk and Canada don't think they are a religion but rather a commercial operation and Germany treats them as a pariah, almost to the point of trying to ban them.

It'd be interesting to know on what basis the UK and Canada decided it wasn't a religion. I would have thought it would be pretty tough to make that decision in a defendable way. Easier to be Germany and make a decision on it's perniciousness than to decide that it's neither a cult nor a religion as the UK and Canada seem to have done.

From memory i think Canada think it is more like a pyramid scheme e.g Amway.

They may have some argument as you do have to pay for info to move up the scientologist hierarchy. But Amway doesn't have creation mythology and alien Gods (as far as I know). ;D

evo said:
From memory i think Canada think it is more like a pyramid scheme e.g Amway.

They may have some argument as you do have to pay for info to move up the scientologist hierarchy. But Amway doesn't have creation mythology and alien Gods (as far as I know). ;D

So they've decided that belief is a saleable commodity. I wonder if they get tax deductions for advertising instead?

Probably.

I'm always intrigued how they lure so many celebrities into the fold - Kate Cebrano is a scientologist. I gather they use a lot of theories from psychology in the early stages. So does Amway as well I guess.

NLP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming is also a pretty interesting movement. They have some really interesting theories but also a cult like
following.

Surely they must target celebs to piggy-back on their fame. But it does seem strange that people who seem pretty straight shooting like Travolta get drawn in. It seems so blatantly fabricated.

Interesting on NL programming. Just glanced at the article, but it does seem to have some things worth thinking about. I'm pretty sure the founders ideas were mentioned in the 'Men who stare at goats' book I mentioned in another thread. If you're interested in weird sh!t, that's really worth a gander. Weird and bleak. If you've seen the movie, it only very lightly scratches the surface of the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_who_stare_at_goats

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2005/feb/12/highereducation.news1

Some of that NLP is pretty powerful stuff.

Derren Brown is really clever with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIz2FAgwcw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vz_YTNLn6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j25qV5RO-nU

Tigertool said:
Really? Saying that people should be tolerant of another's religion. In this case Scientology, make's me sound similar to a Scientologist? Really? You have got to be kidding me.
If they want to pay to get into it, thats fine.
If thats what someone wants to believe in, that is their choice. Not yours. Not anyone elses. Theirs.
Correct. Makes you sound like a scientologist. You obviously didnt take my advice and find out what they're about!

Check them out, and again, if you still have this stance, I would be very very surprised.

Regarding "if they want to pay to get into it, thats fine", I guess you are pro cult?? Let them prey on the weak minded, if they want to pay, thats their decision??

dukeos said:
Correct. Makes you sound like a scientologist. You obviously didnt take my advice and find out what they're about!

Check them out, and again, if you still have this stance, I would be very very surprised.

Regarding "if they want to pay to get into it, thats fine", I guess you are pro cult?? Let them prey on the weak minded, if they want to pay, thats their decision??

No, I am no where near a scientologist. You obviously didn't listen to what I said.

Yes, I know and have looked into what they are about. I am not pro cult, I am pro choice. And I respect THEIR choice.

Tigertool said:
And I respect THEIR choice.

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the
extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

H.l Mencken. ;D

Tigertool said:
No, I am no where near a scientologist. You obviously didn't listen to what I said.
Yes, I know and have looked into what they are about. I am not pro cult, I am pro choice. And I respect THEIR choice.

You must speed read. I didnt say that you are one, but reason like one.

Cults often arent about choice, they are about manipulation. Check out some cult info, ohh, and dont worry about calling the "cult line", I believe Scientology drove the owner broke and took over the number.

When you say "it sounds like something a Scientologist would say" it sounds like you might be questioning it.

I am going to leave this at, they are classified as a religion. So respect should be shown. That is it!

Tigertool said:
When you say "it sounds like something a Scientologist would say" it sounds like you might be questioning it.

I am going to leave this at, they are classified as a religion. So respect should be shown. That is it!

Why do so many who leave the "religion" have such negative things to say about it? About abuse/corruption?

Why should respect be shown because they are a religion? (so you say)

Big Cat Lover said:
Why do so many who leave the "religion" have such negative things to say about it? About abuse/corruption?

Why should respect be shown because they are a religion? (so you say)

Spot on, if we all thought that way, imagine all the good Hitler could have done! ???

dukeos said:
Spot on, if we all thought that way, imagine all the good Hitler could have done! ???

Piffle.

Not respecting someone's beliefs (not their right to believe) is not the equivalent of genocide.

It continues to amaze me how effectively religions have shielded themselves from criticism under the guise of 'respect'.

Panthera tigris FC said:
Piffle.

Not respecting someone's beliefs (not their right to believe) is not the equivalent of genocide.

It continues to amaze me how effectively religions have shielded themselves from criticism under the guise of 'respect'.
Huh?
I dont support the idea of respect because its a religion. A religion has to earn my respect.