Scientology | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Scientology

Personally, I don't give a *smile* about what anyone wants to believe as long as they don't try and force it on me or anyone else.

Which is why I have a problem with religion in general. Fine, you want to believe in XYZ then good luck to you, but keep it to yourself hey.

Streak said:
They are classified as benevolent institutions. Why, I have no idea.

I'm not christian, let alone Catholic, but the Catholic church does have a strong charity arm.

I don't know how the tax-free status works, but it really should only apply to the charity sector of any church. That might sort out the scientologists.

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
I believe Mary was only around 14yo Mick. Our God likes them a lot younger.

Thereyago, those who glory in the story of the immaculate conception can also glory that God had it off with a 14yo girl.

Phantom said:
Thereyago, those who glory in the story of the immaculate conception can also glory that God had it off with a 14yo girl.

I would be interest to see you publish your thoughts about the prophet Mohammed and his penchant for young girls in a public forum.

serpico66 said:
I would be interest to see you publish your thoughts about the prophet Mohammed and his penchant for young girls in a public forum.

I'm not so sure about that.

My histories tell me that the young prophet was orphaned at a very young age, raised by his poor uncle, took a job managing the estate of a young widow,Khadija, she prospered, then they married and had children.

Sounds to me like he was a fine, wholesome, hard working, young man.

I'll have to read further.

Phantom said:
I'm not so sure about that.

My histories tell me that the young prophet was orphaned at a very young age, raised by his poor uncle, took a job managing the estate of a young widow,Khadija, she prospered, then they married and had children.

Sounds to me like he was a fine, wholesome, hard working, young man.

I'll have to read further.

Make sure you read up on Aisha.

Azza said:
I'm not christian, let alone Catholic, but the Catholic church does have a strong charity arm.

I don't know how the tax-free status works, but it really should only apply to the charity sector of any church. That might sort out the scientologists.

Agree. It should only apply to the charity sector, although that distinction might be very hard apply.

Hospitals get benevolent institution status as well as some NGOs.

Panthera tigris FC said:
Make sure you read up on Aisha.

Yes, I happened to re-read about Aisha just after my last post.

From what I've read, after his first wife Khadija died, he went on to take 19 wives, chosen to create alliances with the surrounding Arabian tribes. One of the 19 was the 9yo daughter of his long-time friend and companion Abu Bakr.

Later, as I recall, Aisha was suspected of cheating on him. To this, he came up with some form of revelation that all women had to be veiled to increase their modesty.

I hope my recollection is correct.

Tigertool said:
While this religion isn't exactly plausible, I can't handle the people that are intolerant of this religion. Don't all religions have ridiculous things about them? I am not trying to stir anyone up, I am just making a point.

I am a light Catholic, and have had the religion shoved down my throat since I was 5.

Catholics believe that Mary was just miraculously impregnated by an angel claiming to be from God. Would it make more sense that she had an affair and didn't want to tell Joesph, so made something up? Again. This isn't me taking a poke at anyone's religion. Its just that people are tolerant of that religion, but not of Scientology.

If people want to believe in something, let them. Don't tell them they are wrong, when there are no hard facts from any religion. Otherwise there would be just one religion.

Great post.

Tigertool said:
While this religion isn't exactly plausible, I can't handle the people that are intolerant of this religion. Don't all religions have ridiculous things about them? I am not trying to stir anyone up, I am just making a point.
If people want to believe in something, let them. Don't tell them they are wrong, when there are no hard facts from any religion. Otherwise there would be just one religion.
Sounds very similar to what a Scientologists would say.

Read up on what they are about, and what they do, if you still have the same point of view, id be very very suprised.

Other religions are open about what they believe in, and dont charge for you to find out what they're about.

dukeos said:
Sounds very similar to what a Scientologists would say.

Read up on what they are about, and what they do, if you still have the same point of view, id be very very suprised.

Other religions are open about what they believe in, and dont charge for you to find out what they're about.

Really? Saying that people should be tolerant of another's religion. In this case Scientology, make's me sound similar to a Scientologist? Really? You have got to be kidding me.

If they want to pay to get into it, thats fine.

If thats what someone wants to believe in, that is their choice. Not yours. Not anyone elses. Theirs.

Tigertool said:
Really? Saying that people should be tolerant of another's religion. In this case Scientology, make's me sound similar to a Scientologist? Really? You have got to be kidding me.

If they want to pay to get into it, thats fine.

If thats what someone wants to believe in, that is their choice. Not yours. Not anyone elses. Theirs.
Think you have a decent perspective there Tigertool EXCEPT for one thing IMO, why is Scientology considered a 'religion'? Because Tom Cruise says it is? Why are there groups who get classified as 'cults' and yet this group somehow managed to get through as a 'religion'? To add to this, do you know that Germany has classified Scientology as a cult and banned them?

K3 said:
Think you have a decent perspective there Tigertool EXCEPT for one thing IMO, why is Scientology considered a 'religion'? Because Tom Cruise says it is? Why are there groups who get classified as 'cults' and yet this group somehow managed to get through as a 'religion'? To add to this, do you know that Germany has classified Scientology as a cult and banned them?

Why are any religions considered as such? Legitimacy through antiquity?

K3 said:

Thank you! :)

I'm not actually advocating them.
I can't tell you why it has been declared a religion, but it has been. A religion has to start somewhere I suppose.

So if it has been declared a religion here, then respect should be given here.

I respect the freedom to practice, not the beliefs themselves.

It is one of religion's insulating tactics that any criticism is frowned upon under the guise of 'disrespect'.

Panthera tigris FC said:
Why are any religions considered as such? Legitimacy through antiquity?
I think that is a valid point Pathera and one that is a real shame. While I believe they are a crock, maybe religion needs to past some 'tests' to prove it is the real deal, as in becoming a Saint. Some options could be...
~ Have a million followers - that's a lot of people
~ Have your own State - wow, you must be the real deal
~ Been around for x period of time - as you say, you wily ol' scouser!

Are there any I've missed?

Tigertool said:
Thank you! :)

I'm not actually advocating them.
I can't tell you why it has been declared a religion, but it has been. A religion has to start somewhere I suppose.

So if it has been declared a religion here, then respect should be given here.

You are most welcome and now to disagree with you :)

Just because someone says 'it is so', doesn't make it such in my books (see my refusal to call Southern Cross Station anything other ha ha) and if the posters on here who stated that Hubbard set Scientology up as a bet (wonder how much the wager was?) it should never, ever, ever be considered a religion (not that I think it should be otherwise), for many of the reasons posters have mentioned.

To me, Scientology is the Amway of belief systems - there to make money for people at the top.

And before I forget, what do you think of The Exclusive Brethren Tigertool?

K3 said:
You are most welcome and now to disagree with you :)

Just because someone says 'it is so', doesn't make it such in my books (see my refusal to call Southern Cross Station anything other ha ha) and if the posters on here who stated that Hubbard set Scientology up as a bet (wonder how much the wager was?) it should never, ever, ever be considered a religion (not that I think it should be otherwise), for many of the reasons posters have mentioned.

To me, Scientology is the Amway of belief systems - there to make money for people at the top.

And before I forget, what do you think of The Exclusive Brethren Tigertool?

;D Ok, I am not trying to get into a heated debate here, I am just saying.

A) Scientology IS actually a religion. It doesn't matter how it started up. It doesn't change the fact it is a religion.
Whether or not you agree with it, is not what I am getting into.

B) All religion should be shown respect.
I don't care how controversial is.

:)

Does your tolerance extend to the 'cult of personality' which has featured in several intolerant regimes in the past hundred years?

Tigertool said:
;D Ok, I am not trying to get into a heated debate here, I am just saying.

A) Scientology IS actually a religion. It doesn't matter how it started up. It doesn't change the fact it is a religion.
Whether or not you agree with it, is not what I am getting into.

B) All religion should be shown respect.
I don't care how controversial is.

:)

Is all good mate :) I think it's an interesting discussion point, plus it is fun trying to get you to change your opinion :hihi

Here's a question for you... you have stated that you believe it IS a religion. How does this point of view stand up to a Power Government (Germany) saying it ISN'T a religion and it is in fact a CULT, which they have banned?