Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Remember kids, if you’re small you get 60 seconds to prove you can play. If you’re tall, you get 6 years to prove you can’t.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks Coking Faces, it’s a really tough day.

Realising you have a better eye for talent than those at the club is shattering. Where was the competition in market for him?

Clubs were desperate for Ned Moyle but old mate wasn’t linked to any club. Not once. Rucks are always in high demand, strange that ours wasn’t. I’m still shorting the stock and would draft another ruck this year.
Agree on drafting another one. Competition internally is the way to grow. Blight and Young are perfect examples.

3 more years for our VFL ruckman. All that is missing now is a further contract extension for Dow and Pickett and the asylum will be well and truly in full flight. How far we have fallen in such a short amount of time. Chol running rings around Sampson atm but we were happy to let him go.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks Coking Faces, it’s a really tough day.

Realising you have a better eye for talent than those at the club is shattering. Where was the competition in market for him?

Clubs were desperate for Ned Moyle but old mate wasn’t linked to any club. Not once. Rucks are always in high demand, strange that ours wasn’t. I’m still shorting the stock and would draft another ruck this year.
We will and should draft another ruck.

However based on your theory you should only provide a contract extension if other clubs come knocking? But let’s face it you have no actual idea what interest he received from other clubs.

Remember kids, if you’re small you get 60 seconds to prove you can play. If you’re tall, you get 6 years to prove you can’t.
On the bright side, by the time he's 33 he'll be peaking. For about 2 weeks - before going back to being sub average.

Reckon we must be paying him peanuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There is a new type of ruck emerging and whilst I was a big fan of Samson's in the past I am not sure he can be our version.

I love Nank, noone tries harder and noone puts his body on the line like he does, but I am not as positive about his role this year as some. The new rucks just want to be competitive at stoppage, they compete and they get the odd good knock out but that isn't their main skill. They are like another midfielder, they run and they are part of ball movement and they get forward quickly when they have to. They are big and athletic, they can take a grab and are good when the ball is on the ground. They have a tank.

They are like followers in the 1960's but 15 cm taller.

We need a version of this type of ruck. I wish Noah Balta was 6-7 cm taller.

Reactions: 1 users
Only 3 years for the great man!!! What!!

Seriously - It shows the confidence the club has in him.
The Gus bus is pulling into town... tooot tooooooot...!!!

Need to watch the plaudits for others there, mate! There is only one Angus after all!

Reactions: 1 user
There is a new type of ruck emerging and whilst I was a big fan of Samson's in the past I am not sure he can be our version.

I love Nank, noone tries harder and noone puts his body on the line like he does, but I am not as positive about his role this year as some. The new rucks just want to be competitive at stoppage, they compete and they get the odd good knock out but that isn't their main skill. They are like another midfielder, they run and they are part of ball movement and they get forward quickly when they have to. They are big and athletic, they can take a grab and are good when the ball is on the ground. They have a tank.

Perhaps there are some ex-basketballers out there who may want to try AFL?

I don't know if anyone has tried it before but, could work...

Reactions: 1 user

His cousin is even taller, but that hasn’t worked out.

Wish I could see the future but am still on the fence with Samson.
On the face of it he's pretty fortunate to get the 3 year contract but he has shown glimpses of genuine potential even if it hasn't been linear development this year.
We've seen Miller break out at 24 this year. Fingers crossed Ryan can too..

Reactions: 3 users
Wish I could see the future but am still on the fence with Samson.
On the face of it he's pretty fortunate to get the 3 year contract but he has shown glimpses of genuine potential even if it hasn't been linear development this year.
We've seen Miller break out at 24 this year. Fingers crossed Ryan can too..
I was a huge critic of keeping Miller on the list a few years ago. IMHO he showed nothing, but we kept him on and voila, we have a very well skilled reliable CHB. Just goes to show I, and most on PRE have NFI!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users