Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Remember kids, if you’re small you get 60 seconds to prove you can play. If you’re tall, you get 6 years to prove you can’t.
Remember that we gave Ben Miller a good few seasons to come right and up till last season many doubted he will make it. Now look at him, a fixture in the team, a strong KPD who gets better by the week and will probably now have a great future at the club. Big men just need time to mature as they often have the hard gig of the game. Mind you, I am still not sure about Ryan but there is hope and he has every chance being given to him

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Right now Ryan is our only spare ruck with any experience and whilst we have some others who play in different positions who can out ruck him, we have not a lot of choice but to persevere with him and hope Maric can finally get him into a serviceable ruck. I am in two thoughts about him, If he can fill out more and not get moved off the ball all too easily, he may be coached into a player and my other thought is, he is pretty lucky to get three years

Reactions: 2 users
Right now Ryan is our only spare ruck with any experience and whilst we have some others who play in different positions who can out ruck him, we have not a lot of choice but to persevere with him and hope Maric can finally get him into a serviceable ruck. I am in two thoughts about him, If he can fill out more and not get moved off the ball all too easily, he may be coached into a player and my other thought is, he is pretty lucky to get three years
Yes,I know what you are saying about filling out more. But will that include the other hand?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I get keeping him but why 3 years?

Surely it’s not because other clubs would offer him 3 years?! I get it, they have confidence in him, but why restrict yourself from having flexibility when things could easily go further south. You never know who could become available from other teams.

Overall, this, on top of Mansell for two years does question my confidence in list management a little bit. It feels a liitle doom & gloom tbh.

One positive is that these guys would be very affordable & would allow more capacity to chase stars through free agency etc. Not a good way to justify what seems like a bizarre decision though

Reactions: 1 users
Remember that we gave Ben Miller a good few seasons to come right and up till last season many doubted he will make it. Now look at him, a fixture in the team, a strong KPD who gets better by the week and will probably now have a great future at the club. Big men just need time to mature as they often have the hard gig of the game. Mind you, I am still not sure about Ryan but there is hope and he has every chance being given to him
Very true about Miller. I was a big critic but must admit, he’s not terrible anymore.

Still, is giving every player over 195cm 7+ seasons to come good a valid list strategy? I’m not so sure.

All comes down to what his contract is. 3 years on low chips is fine if you think he can improve substantially. Club recognises that there will be many list changes as we renew. Locking in a young tall, on a modest wage who they believe will improve isnt bad business at all if you’re looking 3 to 5 years into the future

Reactions: 5 users
3 more years for our VFL ruckman. All that is missing now is a further contract extension for Dow and Pickett and the asylum will be well and truly in full flight. How far we have fallen in such a short amount of time. Chol running rings around Sampson atm but we were happy to let him go.
Mansell over Bulter

Club obviously see the potential and prepared to wait another couple of years for the end result. Let’s hope the end result is good enough and is within the next two or three years. I think he has good upside and can play forward which many rucks can’t.

Reactions: 1 users
We will and should draft another ruck.

However based on your theory you should only provide a contract extension if other clubs come knocking? But let’s face it you have no actual idea what interest he received from other clubs.
For a player who the last 18 months has shown very little at AFL level 3 years is dare I say it….farcical.

Samson Ryan or is Samson trying?

Last edited:
Club obviously see the potential and prepared to wait another couple of years for the end result. Let’s hope the end result is good enough and is within the next two or three years. I think he has good upside and can play forward which many rucks can’t.
Wasn’t that also the line the club tried to sell us on CCJ?

Depth and cover at minimum rates. Sounds like solid list strategy. If he comes on we win. If he covers on minimum rates we win. It's a mathematical equation.

And gives Samson some surety in his life. So both parties win.

Free's up $ for more important needs, i.e. player retention or trading in.

Reactions: 8 users
Two would’ve been an overkill , but three years is a massacre. Hope he proves me wrong as these unnecessary long contracts are becoming painful .

Im ok with this contract

In the next 3 years we will have atleast 15 list changes and 15 kids come into the club
Ryan is probably 2 years away from the finished product and will give Richmond 1 good year to decide if we keep him and he will probably be a free agent then and big men are always in demand specially 206cm big men.

Can see the club still being criticised for this deal in 2027.

"Why did we only sign him for three years when he was so cheap???" you'll wail.
"Now we have to pay up. Poor list management by Blair!"

• Haha
  • Love
Surely the club are going to target a promising actual ruckman just in case!!!!!!
They wouldn't dare put all their eggs in this one basket would they?

I suppose we have the two basketballers to fall back on you know those uber long shots at making it.

Sure he can be named to play forward,but what has he done there?And has he even taken one mark there?