Ruthless or reluctant? Time for the club to choose | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ruthless or reluctant? Time for the club to choose

who knows if Kingy's Powerball numbers come up?

Maybe. Probably not. I'm not here to convince on something rarely seen in footy.

What I am more certain about is that we NEED those numbers and more. Look at the list.

Those calling for softly, softly are in line for some disappointment. Years worth. The next North Melbourne.

Dimma already had a few keystones when he started but still only just scraped through in 2016, when those guys were entering their prime.

We need those faaaarking numbers to come up. Most of all Yze needs some of those numbers.

id rather losing Powerball with my mates,

than win Powerball with no mates

Reactions: 1 user
We're talking across each other. For the purposes of this discussion, they are everything. Everything does not literally mean every player on the list.

If we didn't already have a good hand from last year and all the picks that come with finishing at the bottom, you'd have a point. (I think we currently have the most points by a fair way? Could be wrong but we have a lot). If we didn't know that we will be trading some players, and we will be, you'd have a point.

This is saying flog the lot, or we're weak as *smile*, which just isn't valid. Its silly tabloid sensationalism.

We'll get another good pick for Bakes, there will be another trade or 3, dunno who, some picks for points deals, we'll end up with a good hand in a good draft.

without analysing the data,

I reckon history would suggest we wont get a player as good as bakes with the pick/s we gain.

and thats what historical data would show,

modern data, there's more clubs and less talent IMHO.

Danny at 28? is a different proposition.

I go through this in my head every single year with my old Utes.

I love them, I know them, but they're near the end.

how long will they last? how much is the new one? how good will it be?

for me, they are tradable, because they are HBF'ers.

Dusty is the greatest of all time and $hai is an irreplaceable freak of nature.

they are not tradable. they are priceless.

though I would consider giving up $hai if we got 5 first rounders and complete ownership and total legal and moral immunity over Steve Hocking and Gil McLachlan

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
We're talking across each other. For the purposes of this discussion, they are everything. Everything does not literally mean every player on the list.

If we didn't already have a good hand from last year and all the picks that come with finishing at the bottom, you'd have a point. (I think we currently have the most points by a fair way? Could be wrong but we have a lot). If we didn't know that we will be trading some players, and we will be, you'd have a point.

This is saying flog the lot, or we're weak as *smile*, which just isn't valid. Its silly tabloid sensationalism.

We'll get another good pick for Bakes, there will be another trade or 3, dunno who, some picks for points deals, we'll end up with a good hand in a good draft.
got it, all good. comes down to an assessment of list.

we may very well end up with a good hand as it is, but my argument is that we need better than great, we need a generational hand. which is ever so slightly, if you squint hard enough, possible.

like antman said I'd be rapt if they tried. such ruthless intent would be great to see. I also think we need to shift our traditional thinking on what's possible, or even decorous. suitors like Fremantle and GC, should they fall short this year, will be the sweatiest players in the draft.

Reactions: 1 users
We trade out all our experience we lose every game by 80-100 points, lose the good young players we do get and resign ourselves to a decade in the doldrums.

We already have a very early draft pick, a whole stack of later picks that can be traded into earlier picks. Realistically you would probably only have 5- 6 kids taken in the draft. I think baker is likely gone. We will likely end up with a late first / early second round pick for him.

Dusty is a free agent so we aren't getting a first round pick for him even if he did leave. Think its more likely he retires.

The value thing we could and should be doing is acquiring talent not currently getting a game on other lists via player for player trades with some of our fringe talent. Would another club like to get a look at a Sonsie for example who i have my doubts over? Grigg for Collins caused melts galore here when it happened (Lenny Hayes mark 2 according to some) but there is value to be found in filling holes on the list with some moneyball type players as well as using the draft.

Hopefully Hartley, Livingstone, Toce etc have a more sensible and less doomsday approach than some here and in the media (2016 they told us to trade all our good middle aged players for draft picks coz we wouldnt win a flag with that lot).

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Bolton is staying
Dusty will retire 80% chance my guess
Baker 90% chance to go we would get a first round 10-20 pick. Not sure where WC gets that type of pick. Freo might play trading two of their picks in the 10-20 range for WC pick 3 or for WC 2025 round pick. Say WC give us pick 13
Rioli is the interesting one. Sellers market here. If he wants out then it is 2 first rounds and I am looking at Suns first two picks currently 7 and 8. This is where we would need to be ruthless. Maybe give back a second round
We then have the mulitude of lower picks to trade for say Brisbane's first round currently pick 12

So agree with King we would have 1, 7, 8, 12, 13 and our first round pick of round 2

List changing hand of draft picks and what we need to do.

With Tasmania coming into play in a few years we then use the 2015 to draft for needs and maybe bring our future first round into that year

Then fill gaps with free agents 2026 - 2028

Reactions: 5 users
id rather losing Powerball with my mates,

than win Powerball with no mates

I'd love to play alongside Rioli. Of the three in question he's the one I'd least enjoy seeing in other colours.

We trade out all our experience we lose every game by 80-100 points, lose the good young players we do get and resign ourselves to a decade in the doldrums.

We already have a very early draft pick, a whole stack of later picks that can be traded into earlier picks. Realistically you would probably only have 5- 6 kids taken in the draft. I think baker is likely gone. We will likely end up with a late first / early second round pick for him.

Dusty is a free agent so we aren't getting a first round pick for him even if he did leave. Think its more likely he retires.

The value thing we could and should be doing is acquiring talent not currently getting a game on other lists via player for player trades with some of our fringe talent. Would another club like to get a look at a Sonsie for example who i have my doubts over? Grigg for Collins caused melts galore here when it happened (Lenny Hayes mark 2 according to some) but there is value to be found in filling holes on the list with some moneyball type players as well as using the draft.

Hopefully Hartley, Livingstone, Toce etc have a more sensible and less doomsday approach than some here and in the media (2016 they told us to trade all our good middle aged players for draft picks coz we wouldnt win a flag with that lot).

posting Eric but I don't think the list is in any way comparable with 2016

we don't have Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin yet.

maybe Godcus but you get my point. we need to trawl this draft and find the mids everyone is talking about.

I'd love to play alongside Rioli. Of the three in question he's the one I'd least enjoy seeing in other colours.

I thought there's 4?

Danny is the most tradeable for me, on the proviso he initiated it.

his badge saved my life at the 17 flag,

but if you got a top 5 pick for a 28yo HBF'er,

I take it. provided its in relative isolation and not part of a crazy Clarko forcible list abortion

Bolton is staying
Dusty will retire 80% chance my guess
Baker 90% chance to go we would get a first round 10-20 pick. Not sure where WC gets that type of pick. Freo might play trading two of their picks in the 10-20 range for WC pick 3 or for WC 2025 round pick. Say WC give us pick 13
Rioli is the interesting one. Sellers market here. If he wants out then it is 2 first rounds and I am looking at Suns first two picks currently 7 and 8. This is where we would need to be ruthless. Maybe give back a second round
We then have the mulitude of lower picks to trade for say Brisbane's first round currently pick 12

So agree with King we would have 1, 7, 8, 12, 13 and our first round pick of round 2

List changing hand of draft picks and what we need to do.

With Tasmania coming into play in a few years we then use the 2015 to draft for needs and maybe bring our future first round into that year

Then fill gaps with free agents 2026 - 2028

yeah thats my position too

I vote half ruthless, if the price is right: half reluctant.

trading is all about extracting a high value.

So yeah if Bakes and Danny nets pick 3 and 7, yay.

if its pick 19 and 22, boo.

we'd need the keys to AFL house and a blank premiership cup and an engraver for me to sell $hai.

and if we sell dusty, RFC has one less member and lifelong lover. I'm Divorced.

the full ruthless scenario creates a list management bottleneck amidst a cultural wasteland.

unless you traded the 2024 super hand into 25 and 26 (just before Tassie)

you've got a problematically skewed list age profile and all that goes with that.

plus, too many first rounders in one year increases the likelihood of busts, as counter intuitive as that sounds - GWS and SUNS have had 48 TOP TEN picks through the Dustin Martin era. How's that worked out?

there is only so much talent on offer. if your panning a stream for gold, a gigantic gold pan wont guaranteed you riches

so, yeah, for me, steady as she goes middle road, rather than scorched earth.

I have a lot of lived experience as an all-or-nothing bloke, and believe me, the ALL is very, very, difficult to pull off

lynch, short, pickett, vlastuin, broad, taranto and hopper is a pretty good remaining core IMO

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
posting Eric but I don't think the list is in any way comparable with 2016

we don't have Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin yet.

maybe Godcus but you get my point. we need to trawl this draft and find the mids everyone is talking about.

Agree but the alarmist sentiment was wrong then as it is now.

We need every mid 20s player we can get to see us through the rebuild. I think Baker is gone unfortunately as much as id love to keep him but that makes it even more paramount we dont trade Bolton or Rioli.

Get an injection of talent. Develop it right (this is where i think we have fallen right off the cliff since the COVID years) and improve our strength and conditioning and we will bounce back far quicker than Damo, Lloyd and Cornes would have you believe

Reactions: 4 users
I've been saying it for a while. Kingy (who I really like) said it today:

“So if they (trade Rioli, Baker, Bolton and maybe Martin), Richmond at the moment have got Pick 1 and 21. They would end up with something like 1, 7,8, 10, 13, 16, 20 and their own 21 and a future first coming in."

What do we lose? Some on-field leadership, for sure. But just look at what we gain. Our next flag kickstarted, right here, right now, in 2024.

We'd still have experience on every line -

Vlastuin, Broad, Short
Taranto, Hopper, Pickett
Lynch, Balta

Ruthless Richmond or Reluctant Richmond? Do we want to shake the competition down for everything it has to offer and say "we are faaaarking Richmond and won't be down for long" or do we bow our heads and disappear into the long night?

Let's *smile* go!
And pray this is not a dud draft group that pops up from time to time.

I know having robust discussions is all part of PRE, and we all enjoy it, but its pretty clear to me that Blair is all over it, which is the main thing. Bakes will be the big chip, Rioli might be another, then I reckon Blair will earn his dough trading some small to medium chips and, Shorty would be a good one, and bundling for good upgrades.

If or situation was worse, we'd say traded our second this year already, and all our players were contracted and nobody wanted any of them, fine, fire and brimstone would be perfectly valid response. But 24 Draft wise we're looking solid, and will build on that base.

Reactions: 3 users
Baker's the only one likely to go, and because he's out of contract, we won't get anything like we think we will for him. If we're very lucky it will be a late first rounder, but more likely to be an early second. The others are guys we can't wait to get rid of; Graham, Short. They're not worth much, and we won't get much for them. Take the high pick we've earned and do what we can with it. All these other picks that we might get are Hardwick's magical beans. You're not going to get 5 gun players out of the one draft. If you look at our early picks who went on to be stars, they didn't come out of the one draft. It wad done over a period of time and it included some very clever trading. It will take a few years kicking around the bottom rungs of the ladder to properly build it back up. By then Yze should have also built the side he wants to play his game plan. We also have to sort out the off field, and it took Hardwick a fair while and the inclusion of Balme to cut the dead wood to do that.