Round 5 Game Night Thread - Freo versus RICHMOND | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 5 Game Night Thread - Freo versus RICHMOND

velo said:
If Freo had of kicked straight...

And we've we'd kicked straight against Sydney the game would have been closer. Carlton we're almost perfect in front of goal against us too.

Swings and round-a-bouts. The inside 50's were 47-41, the scoreline was a fair refelection of the game

Fittness is very important even for *smile* players the fitter you are the more contests you can get to.

I just feel like i have to get some thoughts off my chest before i am any chance to get some sleep tonight:-

1. I honestly believe that one of the reasons that we play such a sh!t brand of football is that we do not support for each other. No shepherding, no blocking, no run for support. When was the last time that a forward has taken a mark on the lead apart from tonight when Martin produced a top shelf pass to Riewoldt in the first quarter?

2. Someone needs to tell Jack Riewoldt that when you play football like Carey or J Brown, that arrogant swagger is menacing. When you perform like Riewoldt is at this stage in his career, you just look like a knob.

3. I know that Graham and Browne are not setting the world on fire, but Simmonds is both a physical and mental liability. He must go.

4. How Dean polo is not getting a game at the moment has me completely and utterly stuffed.

5. Chris Newman cannot play in the backline. He does not care about his man. Play him on the wing where his skills might help us forward of the centre, but he cannot play back.

6. I wonder how Richie Tambling feels about his midweek herald sun article entitled 'Tambling's Ton of Confidence'. He just does not work hard enough. And i know this because his best game (against West Coast last year) was where he just ran and ran and burnt his opponent out)

Sorry for writing so much - but i needed to do that!

Good Night

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Yep, running flankers like Nason still in their first year.. Nahas appears to have some groin complaint... Asburty and Talyor unfit.

It all means that we have by far the least run to sustain a 4 quarter effort of any team in the AFL

No doubt we are struggling for fitness. The skills fall away and the gameplan goes out the window with it as the games are going on.
Pleasing thing is despite all that they're still trying.

A couple of years away still and another big clean out coming up. Patience required..

did alright considering we played 5 blokes down - Taylor, Astbury, Farmer, Dea and Tambling.
Good to see Foles back though

Tigers of Old said:
No doubt we are struggling for fitness. The skills fall away and the gameplan goes out the window with it as the games are going on.

A couple of years away still and another big clean out coming up. Patience required..

Spt on ToO. Foley and Cousins ran out of legs. These guys we know will only need weeks to get the tank back. Even Jackson helps in that area. If the older guys can carry the bulk of the running, the younger group can reduce there time on the ball by %20-30 and run harder when they are required to go into the heart of the battle and learn the game more form the outside to begin with.

Even thought tonight that Martin looked better with Foley and Cousins out there. Wasn't required to be totally a inside player. At this stage, to preserve his body we need Martin getting as many handballs on the outside as he gives on the inside.

SCOOP said:
Spt on ToO. Foley and Cousins ran out of legs. These guys we know will only need weeks to get the tank back. Even Jackson helps in that area. If the older guys can carry the bulk of the running, the younger group can reduce there time on the ball by %20-30 and run harder when they are required to go into the heart of the battle and learn the game more form the outside to begin with.

Even thought tonight that Martin looked better with Foley and Cousins out there. Wasn't required to be totally a inside player. At this stage, to preserve his body we need Martin getting as many handballs on the outside as he gives on the inside.
Cousins is pretty finished - will be suprised if he plays any more really top games, unfortunately. Great signs form our young midfileders in the first half. Gives us at least some hope. Overall, really pleased with tonight from our mids.

Was happy with Collins and Rance. Thank God Collins is back in the team, dunno why they were leaving him out.

As usual, stupid mistakes hurt, but at least we were within 14pts in the last quarter and a sniff if we just hadda got the next one!

Umpires were a joke, way too many free kicks, and that bloody rule where a holding the ball is given when a player jumps on it is the worst! Fair enough if he doesn't try getting it out, but when he is trying to get it out, surely it should be a ball up......Why on earth penalise a player who wants the ball the most!

Oh, and that Ballantine, My new most hated player

1. Thought that we did support one another in the first quarter and then after that our skills just collapsed and we were over-run.

2. Agree with you about Jack tonight...he looked grumpy and agitated all night, as though it was all someone else's fault. The swagger is a bad look for a beaten forward.

3. Agree we should give either Gus or Browne a go in the ruck. Still think Simmonds could stay parked in the goal square to provide a tall option.

4. Yes Polo should come in and could replace young Matthew Dea who probably needs some time to increase his confidence at Coburg.

5. Not sure about Chris Newman. Agree he is too loose, but he provides some drive from the backline.

6. Poor game by Richie Tambling.

7. Our priority this week must be kicking in after a point. It is getting worse each week and other clubs are ready for the inevitable turnover. It's enough to break your heart.

We definitely looked better in the first when Foley, Cousins, Cotch, Martin were working together.

It was obvious that we would taper off considering those first two would be a little underdone.

evo said:
Cousins is pretty finished - will be suprised if he plays any more really top games, unfortunately. Great signs form our young midfileders in the first half. Gives us at least some hope. Overall, really pleased with tonight from our mids.

Tend to agree and I am pretty sure this will be his last year but I want to see him if he can get a month of football under his belt. Gets better with the more miles.

Agree on the mids. Thought Collins looked much more like the player from last year. Even Cotchin, needs a tank Healy is spot on, but he is moving better then last year. A thousand times more and is spending much more time on the ground. Like to see where he is at the end of the year. Think improvement will come quickly.

Positives:
Nason: started very well, laid a super strong tackle... wish some of our senior players knew how to do that
Vickery's 1st quarter was very good
Bling's hamstring will mean he will come back thru coburg and have a good patch thru the middle of the year (increase trade bait value???)
Nahas, especially since he came in under done. He is not a midfielder, just a little pocket rocket that applies good forward line pressure

Negatives:
Refer to rounds 1-4, all the same things still apply.
Lids is wasted down back, he is not providing enough run. Dimma is probably trying to play him in the role luke hodge plays at hawthorn. Lids is not physical enough to play that role.
Cotchin is not fit enough, gerad healy is right. He needs to get into the pool to get his fitness up if he cant do enough trackwork to keep fit.
JR I would drop if at training he doesnt kick above 90% from 30metres out directly infront

lol at kicking it to sandilands at every single kick in.

what's with playing deledio in the backline again? that's wallace and frawley logic. hardwick don't go down that track. also tuck. we wanna go forward not backward. let's not worry about stopping the bleeding.

we have too many dumb footballers. simple. when the effort is at 110% we are semi competitve, but when it drops below 100 we get blown out of the water because we need alot of the ball to get some results, with limited ball we can't do anything.

martin, collins, foley, deledio were good. play deledio in the middle and don't move him from there. martin, foley, deledio and cotchin in the middle. work around this and build a team. lids might get more ball off the half back but we need him in the engine.

farmer, dea, rance are a worry. need to make a quick calls on these. can't afford to waste too much time to realise they're not up to it. we need to be ruthless and need to see who sinks and who swims. farmer should have stayed at port. do port have any other duds so we can make it 3 in 3 years. rance ? all he does is lunge. I will call him the Lunger from now on. endeavour is there but nothing more unfortunately. dea is scared to kick and i can see why.

riewoldt - pathetic today - overrated by some - too slow can't kick. fingers crossed astbury or griffiths or some one else we recruit in the next draft or 2 becomes the key forward we need. jack won't be it.

edwards was better, nason progressing well, nahas was good so was vickery - coming along nicely. get rid of simmons and rotate graham and browne in one week out the next untill one stakes a claim.

we are too small down back - gourdis is an option. went too early with the polak and roberts promotions.

tambling would have been dropped if not injured - average game average season. need to seriously look to trade off at the end of the year - gold coast?

astbury and taylor show glimpses but need to build up. unlucky for taylor today with his injury.

martin is showing the way - a kid in his first year. needs help in the middle and deledio needs to be there not getting cheap kicks in the backline. put polo back there if need be.

good first quarter but the dockers poor kicking and the umps helped us out. after that it was all freo.

hardwick needs to stick to the plan of only playing players that can kick and that can THINK.

An observation...

One thing I noted tonight, when the team was playing reasonably well in that first quarter, I sensed that our confidence wasn't in keeping with our lead. By that I mean we were leading on the score board, but the players' demeanour was 'whoopie doo' we've kicked another! I think the players needed to steel themselves to go on with it... the second quarter turnaround/drop off highlights my point... I think that the players thought that first quarter style of play was all they needed to get them over the line... how wrong. Good sides grow in confidence, poor sides lose their way!

TigerSkills said:
I just feel like i have to get some thoughts off my chest before i am any chance to get some sleep tonight:-

1. I honestly believe that one of the reasons that we play such a sh!t brand of football is that we do not support for each other. No shepherding, no blocking, no run for support. When was the last time that a forward has taken a mark on the lead apart from tonight when Martin produced a top shelf pass to Riewoldt in the first quarter?

2. Someone needs to tell Jack Riewoldt that when you play football like Carey or J Brown, that arrogant swagger is menacing. When you perform like Riewoldt is at this stage in his career, you just look like a knob.

3. I know that Graham and Browne are not setting the world on fire, but Simmonds is both a physical and mental liability. He must go.

4. How Dean polo is not getting a game at the moment has me completely and utterly stuffed.

5. Chris Newman cannot play in the backline. He does not care about his man. Play him on the wing where his skills might help us forward of the centre, but he cannot play back.

6. I wonder how Richie Tambling feels about his midweek herald sun article entitled 'Tambling's Ton of Confidence'. He just does not work hard enough. And i know this because his best game (against West Coast last year) was where he just ran and ran and burnt his opponent out)

Good Night
Harry said:
lol at kicking it to sandilands at every single kick in.

what's with playing deledio in the backline again? that's wallace and frawley logic. hardwick don't go down that track. also tuck. we wanna go forward not backward. let's not worry about stopping the bleeding.

we have too many dumb footballers. simple. when the effort is at 110% we are semi competitve, but when it drops below 100 we get blown out of the water because we need alot of the ball to get some results, with limited ball we can't do anything.

martin, collins, foley, deledio were good. play deledio in the middle and don't move him from there. martin, foley, deledio and cotchin in the middle. work around this and build a team. lids might get more ball off the half back but we need him in the engine.

farmer, dea, rance are a worry. need to make a quick calls on these. can't afford to waste too much time to realise they're not up to it. we need to be ruthless and need to see who sinks and who swims. farmer should have stayed at port. do port have any other duds so we can make it 3 in 3 years. rance ? all he does is lunge. I will call him the Lunger from now on. endeavour is there but nothing more unfortunately. dea is scared to kick and i can see why.

riewoldt - pathetic today - overrated by some - too slow can't kick. fingers crossed astbury or griffiths or some one else we recruit in the next draft or 2 becomes the key forward we need. jack won't be it.

edwards was better, nason progressing well, nahas was good so was vickery - coming along nicely. get rid of simmons and rotate graham and browne in one week out the next untill one stakes a claim.

we are too small down back - gourdis is an option. went too early with the polak and roberts promotions.

tambling would have been dropped if not injured - average game average season. need to seriously look to trade off at the end of the year - gold coast?

astbury and taylor show glimpses but need to build up. unlucky for taylor today with his injury.

martin is showing the way - a kid in his first year. needs help in the middle and deledio needs to be there not getting cheap kicks in the backline. put polo back there if need be.

good first quarter but the dockers poor kicking and the umps helped us out. after that it was all freo.

hardwick needs to stick to the plan of only playing players that can kick and that can THINK.
Agree with all that Skills and Harry. Jack was woeful, Tambling an embarrassment.
Talk about Bling vs franklin, I think Nason is better value at pick 71. He's a goer.

Bunnerz85 said:
Thank God Collins is back in the team, dunno why they were leaving him out.

they've been leaving him out because he's been completely *smile* this year(and I'm a fan)

Really pleased he has finally found some form tonight!!

TigerSkills said:

Good Night

sleep well...i agree on all that..

Tigers of Old said:

True. I also worry slightly that the boys haven't shown a an ability to find a plan B too move the ball forward when they run out of legs or the opposition starts to anticipate plan A.

When we get tired a lot of our inside 50s come through Shane Tuck long kicks, which the opposition will gladly take all day long.

SCOOP said:
Even Cotchin, needs a tank Healy is spot on, but he is moving better then last year. A thousand times more and is spending much more time on the ground. Like to see where he is at the end of the year. Think improvement will come quickly.

Cotchin has had a massively modified pre season and his training is still well down on what most are doing I am led to believe.
They are taking no risks with him to try and get the body stronger but the downside of that is his lack of fitness has shown significantly this year IMO.
Hope he gets through the rest of the year unhindered and we see a fitter & faster Chimp in 2011 because he is struggling with the pace right now.