Richmond v Collingwood - Community Shield Game - IKON Park Tuesday, February 27th 6.40pm | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond v Collingwood - Community Shield Game - IKON Park Tuesday, February 27th 6.40pm

That was so disappointing to see. We were really non competitive.

My take is that:

- Kamdyn is done - why are we bothering?

- Grimes is done - don't take the spot

- Samson - increasingly worried he hasn't come on in 3 years. Think he will be gone

- Graham - I'm a fan of what he's done in the country but FFS he hasn't stepped up at AFL level

Reactions: 1 user
It looked like we lacked footy smarts and skill tonight.
Hopefully it only looked that way due to the pressure that the Maggots were applying.

I do think Balta is a defender. Why can’t we play Balta in defence and let him drift forward for a few minutes each quarter to pinch hit. That way he is always involved in the play. We need his intercept marking and bulk mainly down back.

Why do we need to play someone exclusively in one position?

Naismith and Gibcus showed something.

Lynch will help heaps.

Reactions: 1 users
Practice game in Feb and all that but....tonight's game does show that we have too many of the wrong type of player.
The benchmark (Pies) seem to have a clone factory of athletic ~6' runners with foot skills admirably suited to today's running game.
Us, not so much.

Correct.

We are too sloowwwww in the midfield. Even Jack Crisp made us look like statues.

Reactions: 3 users
I've had long time concerns over Hopper.

On exposed Richmond form, my biggest query remains around his effectiveness as a Midfielder.

He simply doesn't create by hand. 2 metre handballs to a guy standing still.

To me, it seems a fatal lack of vision and composure.

He's a good kick, but doesn't have the power or pace to get free to get it on to his boot out of congestion. And he's not going to survive on outside play.

I really truly don't see it.

Even contrasting to Ross late, who has his own limitations and seems to be on the B list, just seeing a player get his hands free in congestion and flick it to a running player over the top, as he did 3 or so times in his minimal minutes really hammered home how rushed and ineffective Hopper looked.

Similarly, all day Dow was able to use his power to drive himself forward and free up the ball to advantage. Not necessarily clean disposal, but enough vision to know where to force the play. Clever and strong. Really really clear difference in value.

To be fair, Dusty and Prestia also seemed a little of the pace, so the time of year clearly doesn't help for the older guys. But to me, Hopper still has a lot to prove.

Quoted for truth. ILHO anyway.

Hopper and Taranta might be great mates, but they really struggle to complement each other to make a winning midfield together.

Still fear this will be a very very long contract for us.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Facing a top team in a practice match was beneficial; it revealed our current standing, where we are at As we move into 2024, our team is in transition, with a new generation of young players joining. Some will thrive, while others may not. We anticipate injuries to key players, occasional setbacks from the younger ones, and performance decline from veterans. However, there are also players poised for growth and improvement. With several contracts expiring this year, significant changes are on the horizon. Some players will be released, others will seek better deals elsewhere, and a few will retire.. To bolster our midfield speed im expecting we’ll explore options like the mid-season draft. With a fresh coach and organisational shifts, the journey ahead is going to be full of ups and downs but its going quite a ride .

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Yes we had a first time coach at the helm.

But that is balanced out ILHO by us having a more experienced team on the field than the Pies.

We have the 4th oldest list in the league this year.

Inexperience is not an excuse. We are old.

Big challange for the coach how he moves us into the next generation while keeping the masses happy.

And transition our midfield (that was obliterated in transition today) into one that can take on and beat the best young forward driving midfields in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
5.16 Hey? Well it certainly looked like a Richmond game. If our chronic inaccuracies aren't addressed it'll cost us 3 or 4 games over the course of the season.

Ralphsmith and Clarke need to be playing….they are excellent runners.
Ralph smith is too soft cannot find the ball or win contested footy or take hits defensively to stop the flow or momentum of the opposition.

Might have to make some calls on some slow one pacers and I think Yze will do it as soon as things look like going tits up.

Too many of the same type, through the middle Graham, Ross, Hopper, Prestia.

Need pace and foots kills out wide. Weapons who cut the opposition up by hand and foot ...................

Last edited:

But that is balanced out ILHO by us having a more experienced team on the field than the Pies.

Big challange for the coach how he moves us into the next generation while keeping the masses happy.

And transition our midfield (that was obliterated in transition today) into one that can take on and beat the best young forward driving midfields in the country.
Pretty sure Pies had an old list too, their GF side last year was 27y9mths average, very old. But yes we have too many guns wrong side of 30yo and in decline. Lean times ahead.

Tarranto/hopper+ (dion/bakes) + ($hai/danny)

Cameos; marlion, dusty, shorty, sonz, mccauliffe

Tarranto/hopper/graham/ross all have a place in there, but never at the same time, unless theres 200mm of rain

Dusty forward for $hai.

I hope we get fast track games into the promising kids; sonz, campbell, green, clarke, mccauliffe, bauer