Richmond v Collingwood - Community Shield Game - IKON Park Tuesday, February 27th 6.40pm | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond v Collingwood - Community Shield Game - IKON Park Tuesday, February 27th 6.40pm

Practice game in Feb and all that but....tonight's game does show that we have too many of the wrong type of player.
The benchmark (Pies) seem to have a clone factory of athletic ~6' runners with foot skills admirably suited to today's running game.
Us, not so much.
We had Markov

And that doesn’t include the rubbish 50’s and placing blokes on BS angles when kicking for goal..!
I also noticed one skunk was given an hour to kick for goal....in the 3rd? Also some moving off the stand position with no penalty.

Reactions: 3 users
66-130 in marks is NOT good!!! Same with the 2nds. Lack of marking.
Horrible.
I've been on about our inability to take that revealing mark down the line for years.
I'm angry.
After 2 years we still are waiting..
What does Miller bring?
What does Ralphsmith bring?
Flappers? Samson isn't the answer, you don't need to be 27 to take a contest mark.
Look at Naughton
Look at Larkey
Look at Cameron
That's 3 spots where you can hunt the entire country for the best contested marking players in different competitions.
Nah we bring in a 5'11half back flanker and a midfielder that is a small foward.
Is Brown a top 20 pick up?
Young thought he can have the night off after kicking the goal. 2 hands to tackle and 1 fist to spoil.

Agree Young’s 2nd efforts are hopeless, especially for a bloke with some speed. Brown needs to start being more fierce in the contest.

Ross was good against the Dees and again when he came on today, should be considered best 23, will replace the injured Graham.

Reactions: 5 users
I reckon we need Bakes and Shai in the guts.

hospital Hopper worries me. Rarely puts it to teammates advantage.
I've had long time concerns over Hopper.

On exposed Richmond form, my biggest query remains around his effectiveness as a Midfielder.

He simply doesn't create by hand. 2 metre handballs to a guy standing still.

To me, it seems a fatal lack of vision and composure.

He's a good kick, but doesn't have the power or pace to get free to get it on to his boot out of congestion. And he's not going to survive on outside play.

I really truly don't see it.

Even contrasting to Ross late, who has his own limitations and seems to be on the B list, just seeing a player get his hands free in congestion and flick it to a running player over the top, as he did 3 or so times in his minimal minutes really hammered home how rushed and ineffective Hopper looked.

Similarly, all day Dow was able to use his power to drive himself forward and free up the ball to advantage. Not necessarily clean disposal, but enough vision to know where to force the play. Clever and strong. Really really clear difference in value.

To be fair, Dusty and Prestia also seemed a little of the pace, so the time of year clearly doesn't help for the older guys. But to me, Hopper still has a lot to prove.

Reactions: 8 users
Pies are well drilled and have players that understand their game plan. Their list is in premiership winning balance and were always going to win comfortably today. And they are blessed with still having a couple of very senior players performing incredibly well (Pendles & Frontbottom)

However even with their current list Collonwood were not setting the world on fire during the 1st half of their first season under McCrae.

Our list is a combination of players past their prime and kids who are yet to fill their boots. Some of them will turn into players and some of them won’t.

Getting a new coach didn’t automatically mean that we would now have Collonwood’s speed and skill across the park ffs.

All I’m looking forward is to see how Ooze’s game-plan unfolds and is learnt and implemented over the course of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I haven't been around the forum long but I'm surprised how quickly everyone jumps on the doomsday bandwagon.

It's a practice match, with a new coach, a new system, a bunch of players in new positions, new leaders (presumably), and quite a few important players not in (Vlastuin is notably missing for me, really lack his composure in the back line).

Everyone's concerned about GC because we want to beat Dimma. We probably won't, it doesn't matter. This year will be a year of learning and maybe some minor success maybe not.

You can’t fix the lack of class and speed on display anytime soon

Tonight was a reality check

Reactions: 1 users
Gonna be a long year. Don't see too many winners on each line. Not sold on the coaching group either.

Reactions: 1 user
Need small forward with xfactor in the forward line No one stood up tonight which was very disappointing
Cumbo kicked 3 in the VFL he must be considered together with McAuliffe had a great game playing mid

Reactions: 3 users
A practice match . I struggle to remember them and I am sure I will struggle to remember this one.
This is the start of a new season with a new coach. Over the course of the season we will settle more into using players who will be in our longer term future.
We will be a better team as the year progresses and unfolds
Reaching conclusions about players in February is a mistake, always has been.
The doom and gloom is overstated today, just as the optimism of the Melbourne game was

Reactions: 22 users
Need small forward with xfactor in the forward line No one stood up tonight which was very disappointing
Cumbo kicked 3 in the VFL he must be considered together with McAuliffe had a great game playing mid
Surely Cumberland gets a game if they’re picking the team on form.

Collingwood had 120 uncontested marks.

Did we allow them the free players through the middle or do we just have too many plodders that are too slow to shut down space?

Reactions: 4 users
Surely Cumberland gets a game if they’re picking the team on form.

Collingwood had 120 uncontested marks.

Did we allow them the free players through the middle or do we just have too many plodders that are too slow to shut down space?
Too many fat asses that don't cover.
They create the over lap as soon as you have a lazy link.
Prestia dosent chase or closed down options.
Hopper Graham and Ross are bollards. They don't move. As soon as your past them it's over, they scored.
We ran at full speed for a about a qtr.
We were finished.
They were running like Gazelles in the last qtr.
If that's the way the game is going, sling shot- wait for a mistake crap.
I will be lucky to watch another game.

Reactions: 1 user