Priority Picks (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Priority Picks (merged)

Must tank in 2011 to get pick 4 and 6.

Will we even be good enough to win more than 4 games in 2011? I don't know, we will be again younger and more experienced as the likes of Tuck, King, McMahon, Simmonds, Cousins, etc go.

What I do know is we want to try and get out of this mess (will be very tough) we have to take full advantage of the system.

Even though over the past few years there have been very good picks in the top ten it is still a hit and miss. What we need to do and what appears to be happening over the past 2 drafts is that they are researching better. If that continues we will get pretty good players that will fit into the side.

What pick was Nason and he's going alright.

Early picks aren't the be all and end all.

shamekha said:
Can you point out where it has brought continued success

CBF.

Don't think it's a stretch to say an extra first-round pick at the end of 2011 would help? That's all I was saying.

Barnzy said:

pfft.. The answer is no-one.. Early draft picks i believe bring players that are generally icing on the cake players. Like the Goddards and Delideo's etc. Martin may be an exception but the majority of the hardworking players all clubs need for continued success appear to come from all over the place and it is these players we need to find.

Like i said good research and a little luck will bring us back up the ladder. We should be pumping money into the recruiting to find them. Even if its in the short term. The club will benefit in the long run.

shamekha said:
pfft.. The answer is no-one.. Early draft picks i believe bring players that are generally icing on the cake players. Like the Goddards and Delideo's etc. Martin may be an exception but the majority of the hardworking players all clubs need for continued success appear to come from all over the place and it is these players we need to find.

Like i said good research and a little luck will bring us back up the ladder. We should be pumping money into the recruiting to find them. Even if its in the short term. The club will benefit in the long run.

I understand what you're saying but your point on early draft picks on producing icing on the cake type players is a bit silly. If we had a few more Deledio's or a couple Goddard's we would be a top 8 side. What about Hodge? He was pick 1, Judd? Pick 2. Riewoldt? Pick 1. There's just a few examples.

Still, my point was we should take advantage of the system and get that extra first-round pick in 2011 because it would help immensely, don't know how anyone could argue that it wouldn't.

Barnzy said:
I understand what you're saying but your point on early draft picks on producing icing on the cake type players is a bit silly. If we had a few more Deledio's or a couple Goddard's we would be a top 8 side. What about Hodge? He was pick 1, Judd? Pick 2. Riewoldt? Pick 1. There's just a few examples.

Still, my point was we should take advantage of the system and get that extra first-round pick in 2011 because it would help immensely, don't know how anyone could argue that it wouldn't.

Team of champions will never beat a champion team

I would have though this year is a refreshing change for everyone. Year in year out if we start going badly we worry about tanking and the guilt associated with it. No need this year. We have a good coach, a young side all trying to do the right thing and there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of us not taking advantage of the priority pick system. We literally won't be able to avoid it.

Well I suppose miracles could happen - but five of them?

Barnzy said:
Yes but I don't know how that is relevant.

Well then its pointless continuing the discussion. have a think about it and then work out what it means.

shamekha said:
Well then its pointless continuing the discussion. have a think about it and then work out what it means.

You said we need to find hard working players but they don't necessarily come from early picks but rather all over the place. Also you said early picks are normally icing on the cake type players. I provided Chris Judd (pick 2), Luke Hodge (pick 1) and Nick Riewoldt (pick 1) as examples of quality hard working players who have come from early picks. What am I not getting?

My original argument was that an extra first round pick at the end of 2011 will help immensely and I don't know how you can disagree. Yes, I agree we need to do our research and start getting more quality players from late picks but it doesn't mean we can't take full advantage of the system.

Its the bottem 5 or so players that make teams. All Teams have their stars.

Look at the Saints

Gram, Blake, Baker and Farron Ray.. They're not the stars but 'they're' the players in my eyes that make them a great team. The hard working players that allow the stars to do the job.

Yes but we still don't have enough stars or potential stars. Early picks will help this as well as smart recruiting with later picks.

Barnzy said:
Yes but we still don't have enough stars or potential stars. Early picks will help this as well as smart recruiting with later picks.

We'll never know if the stars are there unless we build the team to allow the stars to shine.. we may have a few already but because of the situation we can't see it. Jack could be one,, Morton could be one.. But who knows

Re: carlton punished but still got priority pick 1 in their 2nd year

mb64 said:
We've had plenty of early picks
for gods sake, the past dont count,but the signs for a record bad 2010 are there, we dont want the worst picks ever for one of the lowest seasons in living memory, tell me what other winless or low wining teams have received

shamekha said:
Can you point out where it has brought continued success saints saints saints, to a lesser extent, carlton, certainly hawks won a premiership with early picks

In this compromised competition you take everything you can and don't look back. If our club is not making the best attempt possible to get the most out of the AFL for our purposes they are not doing their job. I would expect this of every club.

shamekha said:
Can you point out where it has brought continued success

Saints. The Hawks don't look like being sustained but they did win a premiership, I'd take their record over ours any day.