Priority Picks (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Priority Picks (merged)

Re: do we get a 1st round priority pick

Barnzy said:
No, last year the club appointed a caretaker who actually wanted the job so he went for cheap and meaningless wins that cost us a P.P. If that didn't happen and we tanked for the P.P (2nd rounder) we would've got an extra first-round P.P this year as we won't win more than 4 games. We should've tanked in 2008 too after we finished last in 2007 and got another first-round P.P.

The club was too dumb and now we're seeing a team who takes advantage of the draft system flourish (Dee's). To make up for it we must tank over the next 2 years because the list is rubbish. Win less than 4 games this year and in 2011 for an extra 2nd rounder and 1st rounder.

Anyone advocating that a side should intentionally go out and lose is taking the soft option and this would be as bad as the Storms salary cap cheating.
Why should the supporters sign up for memberships if the club intends to lay down? (could we actually play worse anyway)

Roll the sleeves up and train the players to play the right sort of football and the draft well rather than waste so many picks is the only way we will get back on track.

jokershoppe said:
Are we in line to get an extra 1st round pick if we win only 1 game this year, thaT WOULD MAKE ONLY 6 WINS AND A DRAW over 2 years, that would be great in a super bleak season

Probably need to check this. Not sure if the rule is 16 points or less in 2 consectutive seasons or 32 points or less combined over 2 seasons?

What we should have done in hindsight is cheated the salary cap like Carlton did, get stripped of draft picks for 2 years which virtually guaranteed they were rewarded with the no. 1 draft pick for the following 2 years plus a priority draft pick in the year after for losing against the Dees in the game neither team wanted to win. The AFL certainly made sure the Blues paid their dues didn't they?!

brad bowman said:
Does it matter weather we get priority picks or another pick in the top 10 next year because we'd still stuff up those darft picks and we cannot develop younger players anyway, so why does it matter?
I don't want to be negative and just being a realist after the last 30 years!!!We cannot whinge because we stuffed up with poor development,coaching and recruiting!!!

SO why are you still supporting the club then?

I don't get this obsession with priority picks.

The most improved teams so far in 2010 are Sydney, Freo and Melbourne.

Sydney have gone down the established players path, picking up Seaby, Mumford, McGlynn, Kennedy and Bradshaw to add to their already substantial foreign legion. They also traded strongly to actually improve their ND position, the only team to do so substantially last year. They haven’t had a Priority pick since their bad old days in the early 90s.

Freo have scoured the minor leagues for players who may be able to step up and have been rewarded by Barlow, Silvagni, Broughton, Ballantyne and Van Berlo. They have drafted very well late with Pearce, De Boer and all of their mature rookies named above. Add three good early round pickups in Hill, Morabito and Suban and you can see what a good fist they have made of all aspects of recruiting over the last two years. They haven’t hung out for Priority Picks, nor received any. The biggest factor in Freo’s rise has been the massive improvement in their recruiting team and list management practices.

Melbourne have picked up Scully and Trengove, who have walked straight into their team, and good on them for it. Look at their current 22, though. Bruce, McDonald, Jamar and Green are mature footballers, Sylvia is finally coming good after years of promising but not delivering, Warnock, Bail, Davey, Bennell, Martin, McKenzie, and Garland are all late picks/rookies. They have persisted with Jamar and Dunn while their output was underwhelming for years. They have a smattering of first and second round picks like Grimes, Jones, Bate and Petterd who were well chosen but they didn’t need priority picks to get them. Like Freo, they have concentrated on choosing well right across the board.

It is early days for Richmond, but the signs are that we may have drafted reasonably well right across the board last year. A priority pick will be useful because it helps get one more player early but it is hardly a panacea for all our woes. We would do well to concentrate on using whatever early picks we get wisely and finding a few late bonuses like Barlow, Silvagni, Nason and Jeff Garlett, rather than worry about Priority Picks. A Priority Pick will get you one good player, if you choose well, five good late picks will get you 25% of your senior team.

BTW, Carlton didn’t tank to get a Priority Pick to get a junior. They tanked to get enough resources together to get Judd. Big difference.

You are right TOT, priority picks are not going to save us by themselves, but they certainly help a lot. The more draft resources we have at our disposal, the greater our ability to shape and improve our list. It gives us far more flexibility come trade time also. We will still need our recruitment department to be on top of their game if we are going to maximise our potential come draft time.

TOT70 said:
I don't get this obsession with priority picks.

The most improved teams so far in 2010 are Sydney, Freo and Melbourne.

Sydney have gone down the established players path, picking up Seaby, Mumford, McGlynn, Kennedy and Bradshaw to add to their already substantial foreign legion. They also traded strongly to actually improve their ND position, the only team to do so substantially last year. They haven’t had a Priority pick since their bad old days in the early 90s.

Freo have scoured the minor leagues for players who may be able to step up and have been rewarded by Barlow, Silvagni, Broughton, Ballantyne and Van Berlo. They have drafted very well late with Pearce, De Boer and all of their mature rookies named above. Add three good early round pickups in Hill, Morabito and Suban and you can see what a good fist they have made of all aspects of recruiting over the last two years. They haven’t hung out for Priority Picks, nor received any. The biggest factor in Freo’s rise has been the massive improvement in their recruiting team and list management practices.

Melbourne have picked up Scully and Trengove, who have walked straight into their team, and good on them for it. Look at their current 22, though. Bruce, McDonald, Jamar and Green are mature footballers, Sylvia is finally coming good after years of promising but not delivering, Warnock, Bail, Davey, Bennell, Martin, McKenzie, and Garland are all late picks/rookies. They have persisted with Jamar and Dunn while their output was underwhelming for years. They have a smattering of first and second round picks like Grimes, Jones, Bate and Petterd who were well chosen but they didn’t need priority picks to get them. Like Freo, they have concentrated on choosing well right across the board.

It is early days for Richmond, but the signs are that we may have drafted reasonably well right across the board last year. A priority pick will be useful because it helps get one more player early but it is hardly a panacea for all our woes. We would do well to concentrate on using whatever early picks we get wisely and finding a few late bonuses like Barlow, Silvagni, Nason and Jeff Garlett, rather than worry about Priority Picks. A Priority Pick will get you one good player, if you choose well, five good late picks will get you 25% of your senior team.

BTW, Carlton didn’t tank to get a Priority Pick to get a junior. They tanked to get enough resources together to get Judd. Big difference.
No doubt PP are not solution to all of our problems but they do help.

In Melbournes case they have 3 players who were priority picks - Sylvia, Trengove and Blease. The first 2 have been very good contributors to their rise up the ladder so far this year. Take them out of the Melbourne team right now and I doubt that Melbourne would be as effective.

I agree with what has been said here about needing to draft well with late picks and rookies and trade smart to improve and then ultimately be successful. However PP are a vital piece of the puzzle. They allow you to secure a marquee player that you can build your team around and ultimately make the difference between a finals team and a GF team.

We have only 2 marquee players in Deledio and Foley, and 3 that we hope will get their soon in Cotchin, Riewoldt and Martin. 3 of those are top 3 picks, 1 a first rounder and 1 a rookie. We desperately need an early PP to add another 2 (plus pick 4) to this group this year.

Look at St Kilda. They have Goddard, Riewoldt, Dalsanto, Montagna, Hayes and Fisher as already established marquee players and the likes of Gram and Gilbert that are not far off. We have very little chance of bypassing them without PP help even with smart trading and latter draft choices.

Mr Magic said:
I agree with what has been said here about needing to draft well with late picks and rookies and trade smart to improve and then ultimately be successful. However PP are a vital piece of the puzzle. They allow you to secure a marquee player that you can build your team around and ultimately make the difference between a finals team and a GF team.

We have only 2 marquee players in Deledio and Foley, and 3 that we hope will get their soon in Cotchin, Riewoldt and Martin. 3 of those are top 3 picks, 1 a first rounder and 1 a rookie. We desperately need an early PP to add another 2 (plus pick 4) to this group this year.

Look at St Kilda. They have Goddard, Riewoldt, Dalsanto, Montagna, Hayes and Fisher as already established marquee players and the likes of Gram and Gilbert that are not far off. We have very little chance of bypassing them without PP help even with smart trading and latter draft choices.

There is not a lot of evidence to suggest that a PP guarantees a marquee player or that marquee players have to be exclusively top 3 or so picks. Goddard and Riewoldt were number 1 picks but Dal Santo, Montagna, Hayes and Gilbert could all have been drafted by anyone. Fisher was a late, mature pick who was passed over at several drafts, just like other quality footballers like Harry Taylor, Porplyzia, Ruttan, Bock, Drummond, Enright, Ryan O’Keeffe and any number of highly decorated players. Even Fevola, Chapman, Steve Johnson and Goodes were drafted with picks in the 30s, implying that just about any club could have had them, if they could identify their talent correctly.

It seems to me that those marquee players could come from anywhere in the draft and effective talent identification is the important factor, which in Richmond’s case has been sorely lacking in the past. Our club is a very good example of a club that has had more than its fair share of top 20 picks but has failed to get ahead because it has got little return out of the likes of Schulz, Gilmour, Pettifer, Oakley-Nicholls, Meyer, Pattison, etc etc etc ad nauseum.

Which would you rather have: 8 top 10 picks over the next two years and our previous recruiting regime or 2 top 10 picks over the same period and a team of recruiters with an eye for decent talent?

It seems to me that it is far more important to identify strong talent and keep making good choices, right down to pick 80 in the rookie draft. That is what all the successful teams have been able to do. A priority pick here and there is useful but it is not a gift from God. It will just translate to one player.

Clinton said:
I say we trade pick 4 and tambling to get pick 1 :)
Can't happen, GC17 has already signed David Swallow which they need to use a pick on. That makes the earliest pick they'll trade #2.

Re: EMAIL club to get back our

doherz said:
meh - everyone else has got to deal with it. Whats 7 years in the context of 30? sydney didnt win a flag for 70 years so.... as i saod, meh
i dont care less if we never win a premiership mate, its about winning regularly and making finals at least 2 years in a row, who cares about not winning premierships 30 40 50 years, i want to just be up there first, your reasons are lame, has most these sides if not every one of them, have had a shot at it, so dont give me that no flag bull, being up there is enough for me

carlton punished but still got priority pick 1 in their 2nd year

so why should we put up with no 4, in a possibly winless season, in which near enough to the worst in decades over 2 years

Re: carlton punished but still got priority pick 1 in their 2nd year

Some punishment wasn't it! Cheat the salary cap, have your draft picks taken away for a couple of years, and then get rewarded with 2 No. 1 draft picks and a priority draft pick. I think the AFL should have done something more along the lines of denying them a No. 1 draft prick, priority draft pick or a first round draft pick for a period of 5-7 years to ensure it never happens again & to properly penalise Carlton for their cheating. I'm sure if that was the case Judd wouldn't be playing at Carlton right now.

I think we copped a larger penalty as a result of that farce. Didn't we agree to trade our first round pick for Kane Johnson (at the time of the deal pick #4) but as a result of Cartoon being stripped of their picks #1 and #2 in that draft, that pick ended up being pick #2.

As disgraceful as it was anyway to trade pick #4 for Johnson, I doubt even Richmond at that stage would have used pick #2 on him.

Well . . . you never know :-\

mexican_radio said:
Vlad called. He said "everything is fine".

Vlad said:
Hi Gale, look, it's Dimmy here. Not going to be able to do those priority picks for this season I'm afraid, they are going to have to go to the Gold Coast. For the good of the game, you know. Oh, and look, we are going to have to break young Cotchin's contract with you so the Gold Coast can sign him. We'll fix you up later, promise, its just that we need to get these new teams up and running. They have to be successful, for the good of the game, you know.

jokershoppe said:
so why should we put up with no 4, in a possibly winless season, in which near enough to the worst in decades over 2 years
We've had plenty of early picks

23.21.159 said:
I think we copped a larger penalty as a result of that farce. Didn't we agree to trade our first round pick for Kane Johnson (at the time of the deal pick #4) but as a result of Cartoon being stripped of their picks #1 and #2 in that draft, that pick ended up being pick #2.

As disgraceful as it was anyway to trade pick #4 for Johnson, I doubt even Richmond at that stage would have used pick #2 on him.

Well . . . you never know :-\
and Daniel Wells is working out so well for the roos now isn't he ::)
Things happen and like MLB said ( and I can't believe I'm agreeing with him ) we've had a pile of early picks too!!