Priority Picks (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Priority Picks (merged)

Re: do we get a 1st round priority pick

Im pretty sure we do, but with the gold Coast the pick that is usually pick 18 or pick 19, we might be lucky if we get a pick under 30.
This shouldve all happened under Wallace, now we sit back and wait for what picks we do end with..

No, last year the club appointed a caretaker who actually wanted the job so he went for cheap and meaningless wins that cost us a P.P. If that didn't happen and we tanked for the P.P (2nd rounder) we would've got an extra first-round P.P this year as we won't win more than 4 games. We should've tanked in 2008 too after we finished last in 2007 and got another first-round P.P.

The club was too dumb and now we're seeing a team who takes advantage of the draft system flourish (Dee's). To make up for it we must tank over the next 2 years because the list is rubbish. Win less than 4 games this year and in 2011 for an extra 2nd rounder and 1st rounder.

Barnzy said:
No, last year the club appointed a caretaker who actually wanted the job so he went for cheap and meaningless wins that cost us a P.P. If that didn't happen and we tanked for the P.P (2nd rounder) we would've got an extra first-round P.P this year as we won't win more than 4 games. We should've tanked in 2008 too after we finished last in 2007 and got another first-round P.P.

The club was too dumb and now we're seeing a team who takes advantage of the draft system flourish (Dee's). To make up for it we must tank over the next 2 years because the list is rubbish. Win less than 4 games this year and in 2011 for an extra 2nd rounder and 1st rounder.

WELL SAID
What in the hell where they doing at the end on 08' winning those cheap and meaningless games...
Thick heads

My understanding is that the AFL has yet to give a ruling on any changes to the PP with GC17 & GWS coming in.....

With the current system we are in line for a PP at the start of the second round... Pick 26....

Barnzy said:

You blokes are unreal, the best 20/20 hindsight in the business. :rofl

Teckor said:
My understanding is that the AFL has yet to give a ruling on any changes to the PP with GC17 & GWS coming in.....

With the current system we are in line for a PP at the start of the second round... Pick 26....
I believe GC get 1st pick of each round Teckscrew.
PP should come in prior to the 2nd round. (Still pick 26 or maybe 26a or 25b) ;D

If we happen to win just 1 game or no games for that matter, is there any chance the AFL will give us another pick inside the top 10?

Clinton said:
If we happen to win just 1 game or no games for that matter, is there any chance the AFL will give us another pick inside the top 10?

no, there would be an uproar, I understand we would get one prior to R2 , what that amounts to is anyones guess , I expect somewhere between 25-30

If the PP rule allowed the last two years to be combined, then we could get a first rounder this year.

Maybe that's a way for the AFL to bend the rules for us, without it causing much of an uproar?

Opulentus Tigris said:

Hardly hindsight.

Didnt take a genius to realise we were crap and needed to completely bottom out and get some priority picks.

Melbourne were smart enough, as were Carlton, but not us.

If we had a good recruiting record, and were constantly finding gems late in the draft, I'd cop it, but we dont, and we need all the gimme picks we can get. Even some of those we have made massive mistakes with.

Opulentus Tigris said:

No there were many people making the call that the wins that Wallet and Rawlings were securing were meaningless, counterproductive and would lead us to where we are now. They were all proven right.

rockstar_tiger said:
If the PP rule allowed the last two years to be combined, then we could get a first rounder this year.

Maybe that's a way for the AFL to bend the rules for us, without it causing much of an uproar?

How could we get a 1st rounder ? We won more than 4 & a half games last yr

I think the AFL List Development Group (the group set up for the development for GC17 & GWS) was putting forward (last year) moving 1st round priority pick to a 3 year qualifying period rather than 2 year.... No ruling has been given though....

Also there was talk of allowing special dispensation from the AFL for certain situations.....
Will be interesting to see how we go for the rest of the year because if we were to say win say less than 2 matches then in it is possible we could apply to the commission for special dispensation....

If we get the spoon, do we get first pick in the PSD or does that belong to GC17?

Does it matter weather we get priority picks or another pick in the top 10 next year because we'd still stuff up those darft picks and we cannot develop younger players anyway, so why does it matter?
I don't want to be negative and just being a realist after the last 30 years!!!We cannot whinge because we stuffed up with poor development,coaching and recruiting!!!

brad bowman said:
Does it matter weather we get priority picks or another pick in the top 10 next year because we'd still stuff up those darft picks and we cannot develop younger players anyway, so why does it matter?
I don't want to be negative and just being a realist after the last 30 years!!!We cannot whinge because we stuffed up with poor development,coaching and recruiting!!!
Agree. Let's just fold the club or relocate to Broome.

Baloo said:
Agree. Let's just fold the club or relocate to Broome.

i'd go to the home games. especially in june and july.

French Tiger said:
How could we get a 1st rounder ? We won more than 4 & a half games last yr

If the AFL changed the ruling so it was combined over two years, then we could become elligible. Currently that is not the rule. If the AFL wanted us to get compensation, but didn't want to simply hand it to us, that might be a way they could do it without causing problems.

Every club has made finals since at least once since 2006... except for Richmond since 2001, then 95, then 1982.

We stuffed up picks in the past, but we're doing better now. We're developing better now too IMO, although yet to see these results so it's just a hunch.