Priority Picks (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Priority Picks (merged)

Re: EMAIL club to get back our

jokershoppe said:
we should flood rfcs email to get back some fairness in this years draft, or we will be waiting 2 to 3 years extra to rebuild our list, that could mean anywhere from 3 to 7 years to make finals again, assuming that bloody gc and gws dont domanate the premierships for years to come due to excessive top picks given to them, look at what brisbane ended up achieving with a fraction of the concessions these new tossers are getting

We have had our share of picks and it's a sad tale to hear so many supporters thinking we need to be handed more. We have wasted so many so giving us more isn't the answer.

Re: EMAIL club to get back our

wayne said:
Benny Gale and Vlad are close friends. Benny will make sure we are looked after.

A greek will put the dollar before friendship. ;D

Re: carlton punished but still got priority pick 1 in their 2nd year

mexican_radio said:
Vlad called. He said "everything is fine".

Vlad's thinking of the big bags of TV Rights money.

"If I Was a Rich Man !"

Just in!!
" The AFL has scrapped the idea of 2 new teams, therefore Richmond Football Club will be awarded there concessions and funding!!
Sorry it was only a DREAM.......... :help

23.21.159 said:
I think we copped a larger penalty as a result of that farce. Didn't we agree to trade our first round pick for Kane Johnson (at the time of the deal pick #4) but as a result of Cartoon being stripped of their picks #1 and #2 in that draft, that pick ended up being pick #2.

As disgraceful as it was anyway to trade pick #4 for Johnson, I doubt even Richmond at that stage would have used pick #2 on him.

Well . . . you never know :-\

The club knew when they traded the pick for Johnson that there was th elikelyhood of Carlton being stripped and still went ahead anyway was our own fault.

What I can't understand is people saying well it wouldn't matter we have stuffed up so many picks we would stuff up the priority if we got it too.

Did we stuff up on Martin? Early days but right now you would have to say we didn't stuff up Astbury and same goes for Nason.

We did stuff up picks in th epast but let's look at the fact that we now have recruiters and we get people out to look at games not just video packages. Would be good to have another early pick but we aren't going to get it so we work around that.

mb64 said:
We've had plenty of early picks
But hoefully now with more money being spent on the football department we'll get more of our right!

mtench said:
But hoefully now with more money being spent on the football department we'll get more of our right!

Regardless of how many we got wrong,when you are on the bottom you still should get compensated

zippadeee said:
Just in!!
" The AFL has scrapped the idea of 2 new teams, therefore Richmond Football Club will be awarded there concessions and funding!!
Sorry it was only a DREAM.......... :help

wish it wasn't a dream. i hate GC17 and GWS with a passion and i hope they crash and burn.

Ian4 said:
wish it wasn't a dream. i hate GC17 and GWS with a passion and i hope they crash and burn.
Agreed. In the greedy world of the expanionist AFL, there is no consideration for one of the great clubs of the AFL (ours). They favour leaving us to rot, player pic wise, ahead of giving Gold Coast and GWS too great an advantage in establishing lists. They favour wasting money in Western Sydney ahead of making sure the existing clubs can actually survive. Even Port Adelaide are in financial trouble.

I look forward to the day when the new Interstate clubs fold due to lack of interest. They'll never have our supporter base in 1000 years.

after 10-15 years Great Sydney wont be around they will merge with a melbourne club, because how long can the AFL support, there great white elephant.. its *smile*... if they come in give them a hand, but dont step on and destroy the clubs that have put the AFL on the map..
hopefully in the future we will be able to recruit back some of the players that end up in west sydney, because i really cant see melbourne based players staying there for long..
I understand Gold Coast coming in, but West Sydney what a waste of money and a team set up in a poor non afl area, just throwing money down the drain.. huge crowds of 5000 will turn up when theyre winning

French Tiger said:
Regardless of how many we got wrong,when you are on the bottom you still should get compensated

I agree. we should be compensated

after 10-15 years Great Sydney wont be around they will merge with a melbourne club, because how long can the AFL support, there great white elephant.. its *smile*... if they come in give them a hand, but dont step on and destroy the clubs that have put the AFL on the map..
hopefully in the future we will be able to recruit back some of the players that end up in west sydney, because i really cant see melbourne based players staying there for long..
I understand Gold Coast coming in, but West Sydney what a waste of money and a team set up in a poor non afl area, just throwing money down the drain.. huge crowds of 5000 will turn up when theyre winning

maybe, that's what happened with Brisbane afterall.

Tigers of Old said:
Boy if there was ever an AFL team that needed priority picks it's us.
Great time to be rebuilding!!!

Apparently both Cotchin and Martin could have played today but were rested by Hardwick. I so wish we had him coaching last season instead of the two clowns that did. If he had we would have got a second round priority last year and be in line for a first round priority this year. Now it's an almost impossible task.

If we don't win a game this year, or 1 or 2 at best, we would be mad if we didn't at least put a submission to the AFL.

If Melb can win 8 games in 2 years and get pick 1 and 2, and we win 5 or 6 games in 2 years, aren't we in the same position? Picks 4 and 24 ( or what ever it will be in the 20's ) is not enough.

GC can still have their concessions, but surely we deserve a extra pick too ( or at least we should ask for one )

Something like pick 4 and pick 10 would seem reasonable for a team that is winless for a whole season.

Re: do we get a 1st round priority pick

Geelong have had no priority picks and look where they are, in fact I don't think they even have any picks inside the top 5 on their current list. The only first round draft pick Geelong have stuffed up in recent times is Tenance. They have done exceptionally well with later picks as well, plus a couple of handy father-sons.

We need to aim to draft and develop players as well as Geelong did when they were building their current list. A priority pick would only be icing on the cake and is not going to our silver bullet.

SAF said:
Geelong have had no priority picks and look where they are, in fact I don't think they even have any picks inside the top 5 on their current list. The only first round draft pick Geelong have stuffed up in recent times is Tenance. They have done exceptionally well with later picks as well, plus a couple of handy father-sons.

We need to aim to draft and develop players as well as Geelong did when they were building their current list. A priority pick would only be icing on the cake and is not going to our silver bullet.

ottens. and some of their father-sons would have easily gone top 5 (ablett, scarlet and hawkins). and of course, we all know selwood should have gone no. 1.

Ian4 said:
ottens. and some of their father-sons would have easily gone top 5 (ablett, scarlet and hawkins). and of course, we all know selwood should have gone no. 1.

My point is that Geelong haven't had to bottom out and get priority picks in order to build one of the best teams in recent history.

As we all know Geelong only gave up pick 12 & 16 to get Ottens, and Hawkins was the only one of the father son picks who everyone rated as a top 5 pick at the time of the draft. Ablett, Scarlet & Selwood was not considered a top 5 pick at the time of their draft. As you say the fact that these guys in hindsight would have gone 1 or 2 only goes to highlight how well Geel have developed their young talent. I'm pretty sure that Selwood wouldn't be as good as he is if he was drafted by Richmond, conversely Deledio would most likely be a better player if he was at Geelong.

The bottom line is that if we make better decisions on draft day and significantly improve our player development we will improve, a priority pick would only be the icing on the cake (not the solution to our problems).

Its time to get over the past and look to the future, there is decent tiger people running the show finally and things will turn around in time,
be patient

SAF said:
My point is that Geelong haven't had to bottom out and get priority picks in order to build one of the best teams in recent history.

As we all know Geelong only gave up pick 12 & 16 to get Ottens, and Hawkins was the only one of the father son picks who everyone rated as a top 5 pick at the time of the draft. Ablett, Scarlet & Selwood was not considered a top 5 pick at the time of their draft. As you say the fact that these guys in hindsight would have gone 1 or 2 only goes to highlight how well Geel have developed their young talent. I'm pretty sure that Selwood wouldn't be as good as he is if he was drafted by Richmond, conversely Deledio would most likely be a better player if he was at Geelong.

The bottom line is that if we make better decisions on draft day and significantly improve our player development we will improve, a priority pick would only be the icing on the cake (not the solution to our problems).
True, however they also rebuilt around a side that was playing regular finals football. They had the senior core that would allow them to build around them, only when they were ready would they take over from the older players.
Their side in 2000 that finished 5th still included Ben Graham (27 years old), Gary Hocking (31), Darren Milburn (23), Tom Harley (22), Peter Riccardi (27) and Matthew Scarlett (21). They even had some other older players like Ronnie Burns (28), Clint Bizzell (24), Brenton Sanderson (27) and Brad Scholl (28) who were more mature bodies to make up the side, they weren't around much longer, but it allowed all the kids they'd started taking to develop properly at a lower level. We have no where near that many mature players to pick up the slack.

Where as Tom Harley & Matthew Scarlett were the young players in that squad, they had far more older players protecting them. Our mature players are Simmonds, Newman, Moore & Cousins, two of which aren't doing much out there. The next oldest are Deledio & Tambling, around the same age Harley and Scarlett were back in 2000, but having to do it all by themselves.