Prime Minister Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Prime Minister Poll

Would you like this man to be our next Prime Minister?

• No

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • A cheese sandwich would be a better option

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
KnightersRevenge said:
Leigh Sales seems to have taken it upon herself to cut a swathe through the foggy musings of her guests this year. Would that there were more of her ilk.

yeah she started shaky but is hitting her straps now. O'brien stayed a couple of seasons too long.

He's at it again.

New sexism row looming after Abbott's comments on Government's ‘inexperience' with kids
Malcolm Farr, Jessica Marszalek From: News Limited Network October 23, 2012 10:41AM

THE Prime Minister has demanded an explanation after Opposition Leader Tony Abbott appeared to point to Julia Gillard's lack of experience as a mother when he attacked a key mini-budget measure today.

Mr Abbott's office immediately denied he was making a personal reference to the Prime Minister, but Ms Gillard thought he was and said he would have to explain the remark.

Mr Abbott's office immediately denied he was making a personal reference to the Prime Minister, but Ms Gillard thought he was and said he would have to explain the remark.

At issue is a measure announced yesterday to reduce the Baby Bonus for second and third children from $5000 to $3000.

Treasurer Wayne Swan said the extra cash was not needed because a cot and pram bought for a first child did not have to be bought again for subsequent children.

Tony Abbott disagreed on the Seven Network this morning. "One child is still in the cot when the next one comes along. One child is still in the pram when the next one comes along," he said. "So you actually need to get an extra cot or a double-sized pram."

"I think if the Government was a bit more experienced in this area, they wouldn't come out with glib lines like that."

How could this not be a personal snipe at Julia's personal circumstances yet again? How would the Labor Govt in general be any less experienced in the area than the Libs?

It's a lot of piffle anyway. Tony is the one who doesn't seem to recognise the costs go down with a second baby. Far better to reduce the Baby Bonus payment and help families when the children reach school age when there is a considerable cost involved.

I don't disagree with lowering the amount, and agree helping families is better spent helping when a child gets to school age.

But GEEZ its a stretch to say Abbot is referring to the PM alone in that story.

U2Tigers said:
I don't disagree with lowering the amount, and agree helping families is better spent helping when a child gets to school age.

But GEEZ its a stretch to say Abbot is referring to the PM alone in that story.

It's not a stretch at all. Either he's being deliberately mischievous or he's insensitive and thick as a brick considering past references (or all of the above). What do you think he was referring to with the comment "if the Government was a bit more experienced in this area"? There's a clear implication that the Libs would do it differently due to their extra experience in the area considering the comments he made.

rosy23 said:
It's not a stretch at all. Either he's being deliberately mischievous or he's insensitive and thick as a brick considering past references (or all of the above). What do you think he was referring to with the comment "if the Government was a bit more experienced in this area"? There's a clear implication that the Libs would do it differently due to their extra experience in the area considering the comments he made.

Maybe hes referring to the 2 parties differences in policies. I don't know the history of the parties in regards to the baby bonus, so its only a guess.

He actually said government, so thats the way it comes across to me.

"One child is still in the cot when the next one comes along. One child is still in the pram when the next one comes along," he said. "So you actually need to get an extra cot or a double-sized pram."
"I think if the Government was a bit more experienced in this area, they wouldn't come out with glib lines like that."

I can't believe people think this is aimed at Gillard not having kids :rofl

But then again, Gillard will be more than happy to twist anything Abbott says as a personal slur against her and her gender as that is the goal to try and win votes....play the "sexism" card :p

Its all a calculated ploy and only the diddies will fall for it.

If Gillard was angry that Abbott questioned the competency of her Government and she took that personally, I can maybe understand it...but at the end of the day, thats politics.....however to try and twist this into a personal slur against her and not being a mother herself is just ridiculous.

Liverpool said:
"One child is still in the cot when the next one comes along. One child is still in the pram when the next one comes along," he said. "So you actually need to get an extra cot or a double-sized pram."

But then again, Gillard will be more than happy to twist anything Abbott says as a personal slur against her and her gender as that is the goal to try and win votes....play the "sexism" card :p

Its all a calculated ploy and only the diddies will fall for it.

If Gillard was angry that Abbott questioned the competency of her Government and she took that personally, I can maybe understand it...but at the end of the day, thats politics.....however to try and twist this into a personal slur against her and not being a mother herself is just ridiculous.

agreed

Liverpool said:

He shouldn't have made the statement if it could even faintly be interpreted that way. There is history there after all. What do you think he meant when his comments about 2 in the bed the the more experience in the area snipe? How could the Libs possibly have more experience and be better placed to know a younf families needs?

U2Tigers said:
Maybe hes referring to the 2 parties differences in policies.

Oh of course. For a second there I forgot the 'What age children vacate their bassinet for a sibling as learned from a position of superior experience policy.'

rosy23 said:
He shouldn't have made the statement if it could even faintly be interpreted that way. There is history there after all. What do you think he meant when his comments about 2 in the bed the the more experience in the area snipe? How could the Libs possibly have more experience and be better placed to know a younf families needs?

Maybe because Abbott was a key minister in the Howard Government, that went for 11 years, and they actually introduced the baby-bonus in 2002.

So maybe he does have more experience than Gillard or Swan in this area?

rosy23 said:
He shouldn't have made the statement if it could even faintly be interpreted that way.

I think you, like Gillard, are a little sensitive at the moment in this area and are grasping at straws.....whether that's because you are trying to look deeper into a valid statement, or whether its just your bias against Abbott, or just because Gillard and co. are trying to make a big thing out of it to push the "sexist card" and get cheap votes.....I don't know.

Put it in the context it was said in

Treasurer Wayne Swan said the extra cash was not needed because a cot and pram bought for a first child did not have to be bought again for subsequent children.

Tony Abbott disagreed on the Seven Network this morning. "One child is still in the cot when the next one comes along. One child is still in the pram when the next one comes along," he said. "So you actually need to get an extra cot or a double-sized pram."

I think if the Government was a bit more experienced in this area, they wouldn't come out with glib lines like that."

What "glib lines"? Nothing to do with who introduced the baby bonus and shows considerable ignorance to generalise in such a way anyway. The amount was reduced, not cancelled. There's still money to cover an extra cot and pram while not doubly paying for many things that can be reused for subsequent children.

Liverpool said:
I think you, like Gillard, are a little sensitive at the moment in this area and are grasping at straws.....

Think all you like but fact is you wouldn't have a clue. There was plenty of talk back radio questioning Abbott's comments this morning. ToO has also interpreted it the same way myself, and many others, are questioning it so why aren't you telling him he, like Julia, is a little sensitive about it and he's clasping at straws? No matter the interpretation the fact is Tony should be more careful and considerate with his words. His colleagues have to spend way too much time digging him out of holes these days.

Liverpool said:

Much like the Tony Abbott issue of the Women's Weekly you are the only person in Australia who doesn't understand what Tony meant by that statement. Pretty poor form considering you are the only one on the forum who seems to be able to understand in interpret what he really means. A "head in the sand" image comes to mind.

EDIT oh and U2 doesn't get it either, my apologies.

rosy23 said:
Think all you like but fact is you wouldn't have a clue. There was plenty of talk back radio questioning Abbott's comments this morning. ToO has also interpreted it the same way myself, and many others, are questioning it so why aren't you telling him he, like Julia, is a little sensitive about it and he's clasping at straws? No matter the interpretation the fact is Tony should be more careful and considerate with his words. His colleagues have to spend way too much time digging him out of holes these days.

No, he shouldn't be more considerate or careful with his words when people are choosing to twist them to suit an agenda.

What he said regarding the "experience" of the Government is spot on the money.....he was a minister during Howard's 11 year reign, a reign that introduced the baby-bonus itself in 2002, so I would say that maybe he and some of the remaining ministers from that era do have more experience in that area than Gillard and co.

If people...Julia...you...Tigers of Old...or the lady down at the local fish'n'chip shop want to interpret that a differently or twist it to suit your own bias, then so be it.

EDIT: Same goes to you Antman

Liverpool said:

images

It's actually good tactics from Abbott - say something a bit outrageous, get some press, then give a watered down apology while at the same time accusing Gillard et al of being "too sensitive".

Well played Tony.

Liverpool said:
What he said regarding the "experience" of the Government is spot on the money.....he was a minister during Howard's 11 year reign, a reign that introduced the baby-bonus itself in 2002, so I would say that maybe he and some of the remaining ministers from that era do have more experience in that area than Gillard and co.

More experience of individual circumstances regarding availability of a pram for a sibling. Yeah got ya.

Liverpool said:
No, he shouldn't be more considerate or careful with his words when people are choosing to twist them to suit an agenda.

If people...Julia...you...Tigers of Old...or the lady down at the local fish'n'chip shop want to interpret that a differently or twist it to suit your own bias, then so be it.

Haha @ bias. You're riddled with it Livers. Abbott has now said he was referring to his own daughters by the statement. Looking forward to you telling us how 11 years as a minister during Howard's reign qualified him for comments about his daughters.