President John O’Rourke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

President John O’Rourke

Yeah just been reading comments here and in the Yze thread and thought there was some sort of catastrophe happening.

I've just listened to two standard, leadership messages. Measured, aligned and with all the acknowledgements that have to be provided.

This isn't meant to be an internal review, just simple, short, sharp messages that show we are focussed.

And that's what I've just heard.

Reactions: 11 users
Yeah just been reading comments here and in the Yze thread and thought there was some sort of catastrophe happening.

I've just listened to two standard, leadership messages. Measured, aligned and with all the acknowledgements that have to be provided.

This isn't meant to be an internal review, just simple, short, sharp messages that show we are focussed.

And that's what I've just heard.
Yeah, you know it’s the off season when speeches at the b&f night are such a talking point.

Bring on the draft!

Reactions: 3 users
I was there, and I think much of the interpretations of the evenings proceedings, such as above, are way over the top.

Nathan Broad has been a standout club-man and particularly again this year.
He won the Francis Bourke Community award for the second year running.
He stood up on the field in a tumultuous season and he stood up off the field by recommitting to the Tigers rebuild.
He is articulate and a strong, quality leader of the club - why wouldn't a President want to sing his praises?
I chose to interpret O'Rourke's words as well-deserved - the Herald-Sun, and AFL website, unsurprisingly chose to interpret them more negatively as a swipe at departing players.
That's their deliberate click-bait choice, but we don't have to get all whipped up by it.

For the new CEO to not be heard is not extraordinary - it's a players night, there's enough speech's going on anyway from past players and current coaches let alone players, and no-one really wants to hear from the CEO unless you're in the middle of a panic attack that the club's in a downward spiral and need your hand held.

Newsflash - the club is not in a downwards spiral. It's going through a transition, and yes we are on the bottom, but looking up.

We have a competent President and strong board.

We have a new CEO who fortunately is not some recycled industry dud like Gary Pert but is a fresh executive with excellent in-club experience, relationships and CV.
We will hear from him publicly in due course, when appropriate - eg to commence what is going to be a magnificent building project of our new facilities and grandstand.

We have a new coach who inherited an ageing list with a few dud mature recruits and suffered the comp's worst injuries in a season on record.
It was the original *smile* sandwich and despite all that, some people have already written him off after one season. Laughable.

The club is not perfect, has and will continue to make mistakes along the way, as all clubs do.

There is now a helluva lot riding on the shoulders of Blair Hartley and Chris Toce, but fortunately our likely exciting draft hand will not be presided over by Matthew Clarke, who's recruiting track record of the past six years is a key reason why our list is in need of such major repair.

I understand and share the disappointment re the departing players, and the manner in which some chose to exit last night.
But rather than warn them away from our B&F like St Kilda, we chose to honour them and I thought Richmond handled it as best as it probably could have.

I also confidently predict this B&F angst will be swiftly forgotten on draft night.
Go Tiges.
I was there last night too 17.
And have been to the last 10 at least.
First time that I can remember that the CEO didn’t give a speech.
I also think you’re being a little nieve if you think the President was misinterpreted and that his speech was manipulate by the media. Everyone there knew it was a thinly veiled swipe at the players leaving. It was a very clear message and totally unnecessary.
Add the flatness of trying to celebrate a disastrous year and you had the recipe for a very ordinary event.
On another note, did you happen see Toce there?

Feels like a storm in a teacup... but... leaders need to be direct in communicating and embodying values. As figureheads to the club's culture, unity is more powerful than exclusion, clarity preferable to mixed messaging.

If O'Rourke had a message for the departing players say it. In the present context his singular praise of "Richmond Man" Broad (a 31 year old third tall defender) came across as jilted and amplified the perception of unease at the club to a significant portion of the supporter group.

Similiarly Yze after labouring the importance of gaining afl level experience with a slideshow undermined his own argument for the sake of a middling joke which he extended to his 'mate' Newy for some parochial traction. What is your message Adem? Does AFL experience matter, or not?

Seeing some of the players similarly disappointing speech efforts posted to the website, can't help but feel an opportunity was lost for open communication and to put what is actually happening at the club in a more positive light.

Thank all players for their role in the journey, including those choosing to depart and delistees (Cumberland's 25 games a notable absentee from the list).

If you choose to film it and broadcast it, the b&f is actually platform for communicating with the fans and members and needs to be treated as such.

Both Coach and President came across as insecure in these minute, particular instances.
I hope they can learn from said teacup storm, as errors of judgement are also opportunities for growth. From the present state of things, percieved externally, the club's leadership will need to be adaptive and grow into their roles as much as the players.

Reactions: 4 users
Is Shane CEO yet?
Very good question.
May not have officially started although I would imagine that, unless not in the State or Country, he’d be there as an observer and perhaps introduce himself on stage to our key stakeholders and members.
I was also responding to @17 who was asserting that you don’t want to hear from the CEO because it’s a players night and that is factually incorrect based on previous years functions.

Reactions: 1 user
I also think you’re being a little nieve if you think the President was misinterpreted and that his speech was manipulate by the media. Everyone there knew it was a thinly veiled swipe at the players leaving. It was a very clear message and totally unnecessary.
Add the flatness of trying to celebrate a disastrous year and you had the recipe for a very ordinary event.
It certainly was a flat event but was always going to be such.
TBH It was a bit more interesting than usual due to the awks :)

Yeah I choose to interpret O'Rourke's comments as less innocuous than the media's "backhander", but either way I think he's entitled to say what he said.

The CEO will find his voice in due course but it didn't phase me that he didn't speak.

I didn't see Toce - doesn't mean he wasn't there.
The big man is hard to miss but I may have.
Hopefully he's burning the midnight oil.

Feels like a storm in a teacup... but... leaders need to be direct in communicating and embodying values. As figureheads to the club's culture, unity is more powerful than exclusion, clarity preferable to mixed messaging.

If O'Rourke had a message for the departing players say it. In the present context his singular praise of "Richmond Man" Broad (a 31 year old third tall defender) came across as jilted and amplified the perception of unease at the club to a significant portion of the supporter group.

Similiarly Yze after labouring the importance of gaining afl level experience with a slideshow undermined his own argument for the sake of a middling joke which he extended to his 'mate' Newy for some parochial traction. What is your message Adem? Does AFL experience matter, or not?

Seeing some of the players similarly disappointing speech efforts posted to the website, can't help but feel an opportunity was lost for open communication and to put what is actually happening at the club in a more positive light.

Thank all players for their role in the journey, including those choosing to depart and delistees (Cumberland's 25 games a notable absentee from the list).

If you choose to film it and broadcast it, the b&f is actually platform for communicating with the fans and members and needs to be treated as such.

Both Coach and President came across as insecure in these minute, particular instances.
I hope they can learn from said teacup storm, as errors of judgement are also opportunities for growth. From the present state of things, percieved externally, the club's leadership will need to be adaptive and grow into their roles as much as the players.
Leadership is everything to the club in its current situation. Public veiled pettiness from the top leader alludes to much worse behind the scenes. I remain concerned.

Reactions: 1 users
Peggy would not have said what O'Rourke did, it was petty. Benny would have spoken of culture and vision, it was the perfect opportunity for the new CEO to stand up and give us his. Hardwick wasn't a great public speaker - but Yze was ordinary last night.

It may all mean nothing - but if we replaced elite with mediocrity at all these three levels we are in for long term pain. I'm hoping it was just the end of a very long and challenging year - and that the succession plan works.

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes thing need to be said a bit of tough love never hurt anyone and this wasn't exactly that tough any way. It's a bit like the Mrs telling you that I'm not mad at you I'm just annoyed. That old chestnut

Peggy would not have said what O'Rourke did, it was petty. Benny would have spoken of culture and vision, it was the perfect opportunity for the new CEO to stand up and give us his. Hardwick wasn't a great public speaker - but Yze was ordinary last night.

It may all mean nothing - but if we replaced elite with mediocrity at all these three levels we are in for long term pain. I'm hoping it was just the end of a very long and challenging year - and that the succession plan works.
Hardwick was just ok at speeches early days and O'Rourke needs to be who he is sometimes people need to be told by the hard truths.

As much I didn't like the Prez's tone, it probably gives an insight into the club's stance re departing players. I expect this to translate into ruthless negotiation with requested destination clubs and high demands in terms of draft picks.

I listened late last night.

Yze saying we gained experience but he was a gun after 4 games was weird. Not sure what the message was. I’d heard him earlier in the season and been impressed, but this raised my weary attentena. Not good at all.

The leadership of the club needed to address the elephant in the room. It wouldn’t have been that hard.

Something, like this maybe….

There are decorated players here tonight who are looking to leave the club for a variety of reasons and this has come on the back of the worse win loss record in the clubs history and on the back of the retirement of some of our champions who were part of our recent success .
Whilst I’m sure that there are plenty of fans and maybe some in the room who are disappointed or have strong emotions about that, that isn’t what we are here for tonight. That will be dealt with over the upcoming trade period and whatever the outcome they will all ways be Richmond men. Please park any angst so that we can enjoy the night and celebrate with each other.

Tonight we are here to celebrate…
…green shoots
… thank those who may depart for their contributions
.. look forward
Blah blah.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I listened late last night.

Yze saying we gained experience but he was a gun after 4 games was weird. Not sure what the message was. I’d heard him earlier in the season and been impressed, but this raised my weary attentena. Not good at all.
He was joking around (with Chris Newman and other coaches/players) proving that it takes time to become a good player. Sam Lonergan brought it up again in his speech later.