President John O’Rourke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

President John O’Rourke

I’m glad someone else has observed Gale failings over the last 5 years. We’ve had a dynasty, the biggest membership and massive commercial exposure but somehow we need to sell bricks to get a redevelopment done….it’s embarrassing. I did start to feel that they took the eye off the ball commercially as soon as we started winning premierships. As a 35 year paid up member and contributor in other ways, I could see that they were taking us members for granted. They just rolled the arm over. Gale has spent his energy over the last 2 years trying to land his next gig and not on Richmond. This smells a bit like Graeme Richmond. The first 75% great, last 25% terrible.
I don’t see Gale as having an eye off the ball for his next job. I could see him taking the eyes off the ball chasing the Punt Rd Oval redevelopment.
Consumate professional. Think we took some educated risks, which have backfired. But I'd imagine our board signed off on that approach.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t see Gale as having an eye off the ball for his next job. I could see him taking the eyes off the ball chasing the Punt Rd Oval redevelopment.
Consumate professional. Think we took some educated risks, which have backfired. But I'd imagine our board signed off on that approach.
My understanding is the board regret a few things in hindsight.
One was not moving a few key people on, including Hardwick and Gale. Think a bit of complacency crept in and they are now fully aware of and behind the rebuild required. That’s why they signed off on letting all departing contracted players leave

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
My understanding is the board regret a few things in hindsight.
One was not moving a few key people on, including Hardwick and Gale. Think a bit of complacency crept in and they are now fully aware of and behind the rebuild required. That’s why they signed off on letting all departing contracted players leave
I'm not sure how much of that i believe.
The board needs to sign off on trading first round picks from my understanding.
Therefore i assume getting Taranto and Hopper had their backing. That would have been done with the (now failed) strategy if trying to pinch one more.
Letting Hardwick go to the USA and skip pre-season etc, can't imagine it took people by surprise.
Was the board equally complacent if these two were? I get the hindsight comment. How could you justify moving a coach on who'd just won a dynasty? We aren't the bulls lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I owe everyone an apology.
I’ve had it confirmed that the CEO never talks at the Jack Dyer Medal night.
Must have been confused with the season launch functions.
It’s also been confirmed many inside the club were not happy with the proceedings the other night either. Not the clubs proudest moment

Reactions: 11 users
It’s also been confirmed many inside the club were not happy with the proceedings the other night either. Not the clubs proudest moment
Which part weren’t they happy about?

I imagine Dunne will make his debut speech at the AGM.

Reactions: 1 user
Need to be careful the 'Richmond Man' mantra isn't weaponised or used as leverage ultimately to keep the salary cap in check (loyalty card).

I'd like to give Jon the benefit of the doubt with his Broad reference that it wasn't when he said that.

As ever it's up to the club to create an environment where players ultimately want to stay despite incentive$ to be elsewhere.
Given the unprecedented player exodus this year, it appears we've lost a bit of that..the hard questions the club should be asking itself is why?
I think it comes down to the character of the people leaving. Boltons and bakers speeches at the B & F were pathetic. Good riddance. They are not leaders. They acted like busted arse footballers. The club has not lost leaders like Nank, Lynch, Vlaustin, Broad and dare I say a young Kaleb Smith has leader written all over him. The reason we had success was the people were not just good footballers, they were good people off the field. Rioli is the sad factor. If you are not with us...you are against us! his words are shallow. If he was genuine he would fight and fight and fight.

Reactions: 3 users
Whats a woke flog?
It's 2024 dude. A social justice warrior is ignorant of reality (woke flog). They identify as a "cat".....but are a human! They think because they have a tongue they have a brain. They do no research on anything and are offended about everything (ignorant of history). They want to reduce their carbon footprint without understanding carbon. They promote unity and inclusion but it results in division. They think "welcome to country" is a good thing. Do you get it?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
It's 2024 dude. A social justice warrior is ignorant of reality (woke flog). They identify as a "cat".....but are a human! They think because they have a tongue they have a brain. They do no research on anything and are offended about everything (ignorant of history). They want to reduce their carbon footprint without understanding carbon. They promote unity and inclusion but it results in division. They think "welcome to country" is a good thing. Do you get it?

And how does that apply to the best and most respected sports administrator in the country who drove arguably our greatest ever dynasty.

Reads like you've been drinking the Peter Dutton cool aid.

History shows it's the conservatives who are the decisive party, particularly their right wingers who preach for the Haves against the Have Nots.

Again history tells us the Richmond FC had its roots firmly in the Have Nots. So are you sure you are at the right club. Shouldn't you be over at the Silver Tails? Pardon the pun.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Matthew Clarke got a better send off from the club than Baker, Rioli and Bolton. Let that sink in.
They were so happy he left.
Look at the carnage after 2017 and then to wake up this morning and hear Holmes has won Geelongs B&F I would be celebrating that he has gone too.
Some decisions made over those 6yrs have put us where we are today.

Reads like you've been drinking the Peter Dutton cool aid.

History shows it's the conservatives who are the decisive party, particularly their right wingers who preach for the Haves against the Have Nots.

Again history tells us the Richmond FC had its roots firmly in the Have Nots. So are you sure you are at the right club. Shouldn't you be over at the Silver Tails? Pardon the pun.
Clearly need a RWNJobbery page in the GENERAL tab. Cos everybody deserves a voice.
Anyway back to footy.

Reactions: 1 user
Been thinking a bit more about the Presidents speech and have rewatched it to clarify my opinion.
If, as others have suggested, it wasn’t a thinly veiled swipe at some outgoing Premiership players for leaving, then the alternative has to be that he lacks the emotional intelligence to understand how many may misinterpret what he said.
Think the latter explanation is actually worse as it speaks to his leadership ability and intellect.