President John O’Rourke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

President John O’Rourke

I have no problem with O'Rourke being, and looking a bit peeved last night after the performance of Baker and Bolton last night.

Absolutely none.
Same, the way Baker half humped, half hugged Bolton was awful.

O'Rourke looking peeved was great, the first hint of "this isn't the way Richmond Football Club" should be.

The constant theme of the night was the staggering lack of leadership and presence of our key leaders . O'Rourke was ok but doesn't seem the type to take people on a journey but a fine administrator and will make sure the trains run on time. Shane Dunne not speaking is a huge misstep, he had the opportunity to set the tone and change the course of the ship. Felt like he hid from his moment, didn't make his first moment memorable.

Even Yze, he could've gone clean slate and set the tone harder. He stammered and staggered his way through the speech, it felt the same message as throughout the year and didn't feel confident. All over the shop.

Our club lacks leadership right now. One bloke enhanced his profile last night, Nathan Broad. There's one Tiger you'd look across at in battle and know that he had your back. I wanted to trade him 12 months ago, now I feel so lucky that he is still at the club. Still wants to be a Tiger and IMO should be skipper.

The blokes leaving last night showed a lack of maturity and leadership and didn't exit with class. I'll forgive Shai, he wasn't gassed our rude, just shy, like always.

Our key leaders off the ground and in the coaching box aren't taking us into the new era, we are drifting, rudderless, and pinning our hopes on 18-year-olds coming into the club to provide the change. That's an incredibly hard ask and can't work.

Benny, Peggy and Dimma you were underappreciated. New crew, step up, you don't have to be perfect but you have to be more than last night.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I have no issue with O'Rourke saying what he did last night. We have 4 blokes jumping ship at the first bad season they have experienced in their career (second for D Rioli). While I'm happy to take the picks for them, signing a long term contract and then leaving at the first sign of adversity and going to play with coaches who have been coaching them their entire career wrecks 9f entitlement and tantrum throwing.
This is not the case with Baker at least. He almost went home a couple years ago but decided to sign on.

Doesn't bother me when players want to go back home interstate...Rioli on the other hand...

Reactions: 1 user

O'Rourke looking peeved was great, the first hint of "this isn't the way Richmond Football Club" should be.

The constant theme of the night was the staggering lack of leadership and presence of our key leaders . O'Rourke was ok but doesn't seem the type to take people on a journey but a fine administrator and will make sure the trains run on time. Shane Dunne not speaking is a huge misstep, he had the opportunity to set the tone and change the course of the ship. Felt like he hid from his moment, didn't make his first moment memorable.

Even Yze, he could've gone clean slate and set the tone harder. He stammered and staggered his way through the speech, it felt the same message as throughout the year and didn't feel confident. All over the shop.

Our club lacks leadership right now. One bloke enhanced his profile last night, Nathan Broad. There's one Tiger you'd look across at in battle and know that he had your back. I wanted to trade him 12 months ago, now I feel so lucky that he is still at the club. Still wants to be a Tiger and IMO should be skipper.

The blokes leaving last night showed a lack of maturity and leadership and didn't exit with class. I'll forgive Shai, he wasn't gassed our rude, just shy, like always.

Our key leaders off the ground and in the coaching box aren't taking us into the new era, we are drifting, rudderless, and pinning our hopes on 18-year-olds coming into the club to provide the change. That's an incredibly hard ask and can't work.

Benny, Peggy and Dimma you were underappreciated. New crew, step up, you don't have to be perfect but you have to be more than last night.
Excellent post Gloop. One of your best.

From day one he has to me been singularly unimpressive in front of the cameras. He must be a hell of a PowerPoint presenter.

I was very disappointed with the night and with some of the players speeches. Especially Baker.
But I thought our President was unbecoming and being very petty. I know for a fact that the board was unanimous in their view of letting the players leave and starting afresh with draft picks so don’t know what was to gain from humiliating Premiership players amongst their families, team mates and close friends.
I’m all for Presidents getting cranky. As long as it’s steered towards those working against us like Head Office or the Umpiring Department.
I can’t under any circumstances imagine Peggy running with that line of behaviour and strongly believe his performance contributed towards the poor response from subjected players who came on well after he denigrated them and had too much time mulling over what was said with beers in hand.

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Awful night. Yze is dreadful in front of a mic. Desperately needs media training as his speech wouldn’t have encouraged anyone to get a membership for next year.
O’Rourke is clearly an accomplished businessman but is only slightly better than Yze on the mic. He only needed to mention the possibility of departing players and thank them for all they did for the club and wherever they end up they will always be Richmond premiership players. We all know they are going so just acknowledge it.
And the players speeches…holy hell what a dreadful lot they are. Can see why Vlas isn’t captain material.
And Baker was like a meth head in a suit with his unintelligible dribble.
We are last on field but off field we are probably worse

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I was very disappointed with the night and with some of the players speeches. Especially Baker.
But I thought our President was unbecoming and being very petty. I know for a fact that the board was unanimous in their view of letting the players leave and starting afresh with draft picks so don’t know what was to gain from humiliating Premiership players amongst their families, team mates and close friends.
I’m all for Presidents getting cranky. As long as it’s steered towards those working against us like Head Office or the Umpiring Department.
I can’t under any circumstances imagine Peggy running with that line of behaviour and strongly believe his performance contributed towards the poor response from subjected players who came on well after he denigrated them and had too much time mulling over what was said with beers in hand.
Spot on DA. Jon had an opportunity to set the tone & he did but once he took a thin jab at those premiership players that are departing, (didn't mention any of them either) then the night wasn't going to go well. As leader he sets the tone. I thought that passive aggressive approach missed the mark a bit. Your O'Neal comment is bang on.

The players behaviour was very poor but it takes two to tango & there seems to have been an internal breakdown in comms to me.

Baker and Bolton speeches we're school bot stuff. Yeah we understand you want out and checked out , but show some humanity and respect for the club see Dan Rioli he was class.

The optics of last night are terrible. The culture on the surface seems to be in a diabolical state. Let's face it the club appears to be in disarray, to the point of being dysfunctional.
The old 80's/90's slogan "Eat em Alive" unfortunately is coming back to haunt us again. Something Peggy alluded to during her presidency.

We are now at a critical juncture where the club can rebuild or fall into a heap and be a laughingstock for the next 20-30 years.

Our leaders from the top-down, need to stand-up, be mature, and lead the way. Veil swipes help nobody.

I have no problem with O'Rourke being, and looking a bit peeved last night after the performance of Baker and Bolton last night.

Absolutely none.
💯 we have been to nice as a club for too long this bs helping players leave etc. Don't let the door hit you.

You can see there was a divide in the player group not on the same page this season and we had a few bad apples. For O'Rourke to set the tone like that there must have been issues.

Agree on some points above re: last night, particularly in respect to the absence of a CEO speech from Shane Dunne. He’s a polished speaker and could have set the mood on our next journey as a united group.

Agreed. As contracted players, the Dan and Shai departures would need to be sanctioned by the board. Club could easily have shut the door early on by issuing a statement indicating that as contracted players, Dan and Shai would be wearing the yellow and black in 2025 and beyond. End of story!

I didn't watch the night so not sure of the order of things. If the Pres had his speech after the Baker speech then I have no issues with what the Pres said. Bakes deserved a bit of a slap after his little stint on stage. Shai is forgiven because he's always been shy and awkward in those situations and being up there knowing he's leaving would have been tough for him.

Dan's words were ok. But then Dan leaving is the one that hurst the most.

But little doubt after last night that this is a new era for the Tigers. We can close the book on our recent ridiculously good era. We are lucky to have lived through it. Now it starts all over again and I hope the clubs leaders have it in them to steer the club back to the top of the ladder like our last leadership did.

great post .........right on the money (again) Scoop

None of what I have read about the displays from players and officials at the JD night is comforting. For the new CEO to not be heard from is just extraordinary. I’m a lot more worried for our club than I was yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users