pre-season 2015-16 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

pre-season 2015-16

tigersnake said:
it was a light hearted comment bullus

Fair enough, just bringing our greatest weakness to the surface. If Rance or Chaplin succumb to injury then the season will be dangling by a thread, Elton doesn't fill me with confidence, nor does Astbury who failed a medical at Brisbane. Now is the time to turn McBean into a swingman.

bullus_hit said:
Fair enough, just bringing our greatest weakness to the surface. If Rance or Chaplin succumb to injury then the season will be dangling by a thread, Elton doesn't fill me with confidence, nor does Astbury who failed a medical at Brisbane. Now is the time to turn McBean into a swingman.

I'm sure next season's project would be to fit in Elton in defence with Beano in attack. I can't see how Beano would be any good in defence when he's got no defence skills as yet....I can't remember seeing much of those in the VFL.

Astbury remains the mystery. Does Dimma really want him or just use as a back-up until his contract is done?

I think Astbury just decided he'd prefer to stay at Punt Rd, and take his chances, than go to Brisbane. Not sure about that failed medical story

TigerForce said:
or just use as a back-up until his contract is done?

ATM signs point to this. He might turn it around, up to him.

I got no problem with Bean as a swingman, can only be a good thing.

bullus_hit said:
Thoughts on Griffiths going back there instead? He is developed physically to be able to deal with the bigger forwards, whereas McBean is still developing.

TigerForce said:
I'm sure next season's project would be to fit in Elton in defence with Beano in attack. I can't see how Beano would be any good in defence when he's got no defence skills as yet....I can't remember seeing much of those in the VFL.

Astbury remains the mystery. Does Dimma really want him or just use as a back-up until his contract is done?

Don't like Elton's kicking, think he'll be a liability in defence. McBean is a much better field kick, and besides, I think it pays to create a flexible workforce, I don't think it will be difficult for Liam to learn to play another position. To me he's the closest thing to Chaplin in the squad.

Rancey18 said:
Thoughts on Griffiths going back there instead? He is developed physically to be able to deal with the bigger forwards, whereas McBean is still developing.

Griff is more your high half forward, 2nd string ruckman. Still has some way to go on that front.

bullus wins the Rex Hunt medal of the year I reckon. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

bullus_hit said:
Don't like Elton's kicking, think he'll be a liability in defence. McBean is a much better field kick, and besides, I think it pays to create a flexible workforce, I don't think it will be difficult for Liam to learn to play another position. To me he's the closest thing to Chaplin in the squad.

Griff is more your high half forward, 2nd string ruckman. Still has some way to go on that front.

Still on Elton's bad kicking myths? As bad as Richo and even what Callum Moore shows? Gas wasn't the best either but it was as chronic as Richo's and still got an AA.....and Beano is closest to Chaplin.....geez bull, you sure it's not April 1 instead of December 1 today... :hihi

TigerForce said:
Still on Elton's bad kicking myths? As bad as Richo and even what Callum Moore shows? Gas wasn't the best either but it was as chronic as Richo's and still got an AA.....and Beano is closest to Chaplin.....geez bull, you sure it's not April 1 instead of December 1 today... :hihi

Elton's 2015

2015 Season
1 -
2 -
3 VFL Off injured early. -
4 VFL Defended well when required – which wasn’t often. -
5 VFL Up and down afternoon in defence. -
6 VFL Strong outing in defence. Nearing a senior call up. -
7 Coll Found going tough in defence early on Cloke and moved. Struggled. 3
8 VFL Quiet night after stint in seniors. -
9 VFL Moved into attack and kicked a couple of goals. -
10 VFL Battled hard down back against Werribee talls. -
11 VFL Bye. -
12 Rested.
13 Didn’t play for Richmond VFL.
14 VFL Had knee issues entering game and appears hampered still. -
15 Knee.
16 Knee.
17 VFL Only featured after half time on return from injury. -
18 VFL Defended well enough against a few good opponents. -
19 VFL Bye. -
20 VFL Tried hard but wasn’t his best day in defence. -
21 VFL Tried hard but was ultimately beaten in defence. -
22 VFL Did some good things in defence.

The joke's on those who think Elton is adequate cover for Chaplin. I would have thought giving our talls experience at both ends would make us a better side, shame on me for being so radical.

bullus_hit said:
The joke's on those who think Elton is adequate cover for Chaplin. I would have thought giving our talls experience at both ends would make us a better side, shame on me for being so radical.

Well, they gave him 2 years after that 'report' so...

I'm with you on multi-skilling, but Beano now?? Hasn't even played in attack enough with just 2 games. Too early and still too light for defence....plus 97kgs now...I don't believe that from the photos I'm seeing. They just started training after coming back from the US....then again maybe it's all fast food weight gain from the Yanks.

I'm seriously surprised that Hardwick hasn't given McJesus a tutelage in the back half - he's done it with just about every other forward he's ever had under his tenure.

Personally I like it that he does. I know a lot on here don't - but I think it doesn't hurt a forward's development to spend some time in the back half learning at least a little of the defensive craft. The mistake is persisting with it beyond it's usefulness.

If he's able to play back - then do it. Adds to the team's overall flexibility. If he turns out to be really good at it - it might just buy him a career. After 3 seasons with so few games in the ones as a forward - I fear McJesus will go the way of Dea. It's how Dimma operates.

FitenFitenWin said:
I'm seriously surprised that Hardwick hasn't given McJesus a tutelage in the back half - he's done it with just about every other forward he's ever had under his tenure.

Personally I like it that he does. I know a lot on here don't - but I think it doesn't hurt a forward's development to spend some time in the back half learning at least a little of the defensive craft. The mistake is persisting with it beyond it's usefulness.

If he's able to play back - then do it. Adds to the team's overall flexibility. If he turns out to be really good at it - it might just buy him a career. After 3 seasons with so few games in the ones as a forward - I fear McJesus will go the way of Dea. It's how Dimma operates.

I'm very surprised myself, he played CHB for Vic Metro and showcased a nice rebounding game, he's not a stop start statue like some other tall defenders. Chaplin rarely takes on the gorillas and I wouldn't expect McBean to do that either, that is Rance's domain. With guys like Griffiths being first called up for forward line duties I would like to see McBean spend a season in defence, particularly given Elton & Astbury have struggled to get on the park lately.

Ive seen nearly all of Elton's games since he was drafted, and its not that he is a 'bad' kick, its that he takes the bad option or tries to do too much beyond him limitations. That's when his kicks look bad as they are normally shocking turnovers in costly areas.

Low footy IQ.

Not wishing injury on any players but it kind of feels that we need a reason to have a good long look at players like Elton,McBean,Astbury,McKenzie

We probably need a rotation policy in place

turk-d-tiger said:
Not wishing injury on any players but it kind of feels that we need a reason to have a good long look at players like Elton,McBean,Astbury,McKenzie

We probably need a rotation policy in place

With Chappy on the cusp of retirement it won't be injury that forces our hand, I'd like to think we are planning for the inevitable changing of the guard. Our first candidate, Dave Astbury, is injury prone, lacks run and mobility and has averaged about 7 games a year. Our second candidate, Todd Elton, has struggled for consistency at VFL level, is injury prone and lacks footy smarts. Our third candidate, Liam McBean, has been a shining light in the forward line but is struggling to break into the senior side as a goal kicker, he played in defence at junior level and showed great promise both as a negator and play-maker.

To me it's pretty obvious where we should be headed, with McKenzie looking like a full forward or bust proposition, I'd be redirecting our other resources to the backline and determining who cuts the mustard. The head says McJesus and the gut says McJesus, I've finally seen the light.

And here I am hoping the pre-season proves to be the dirtiest and toughest regime of training ever undertaken by the players.

D85 said:
not sure if Liam is fast enough to play a key defensive role?

Chappy isn't lightening quick either, McBean has been quick enough on the lead so I think he will be fine in defence, he's also more than capable of taking a few running bounces when the field opens up. The fact he spent his junior years as a defender should be reason enough to give him some senior experience, guys like Henderson, McGovern, Harry Taylor, Tom McDonald and James Frawley have all made an impact at both ends of the ground, they're not exactly athletic beasts either. If McBean isn't a round one starter in the forward line then he should be given some exposure at CHB in the reserves, push Elton back to the forward line and let Astbury play alongside McBean.

Don't mind your arguments at all Bullus. Can't see why it couldn't be an option worth exploring for 2016.
Nothing's seriously broken just yet with the senior side n there's not many vacancies in the KPF range so why not toss around a few possibilities at magoos level n see what evolves. Pretty sure that's the entire point of having our own magoos side in the first place.