Possible fine for Dusty | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Possible fine for Dusty

Been reading the thread.....Just saying....what would Polly Farmer,Syd Jackson,Maurice Rioli,Nicky Winmar,amongst others would think of this Adam Goodes debate ?They copped far worse in their day....as I said.....just saying.....

nitrotiger said:
Been reading the thread.....Just saying....what would Polly Farmer,Syd Jackson,Maurice Rioli,Nicky Winmar,amongst others would think of this Adam Goodes debate ?They copped far worse in their day....as I said.....just saying.....

I have respect for all those you mention nitrous. I'd thrown in Michael Long too. A real positive for reconciliation without casting blame and resorting to negative behaviour towards non-indigenous Australians.

Baloo said:
A tradition is a belief or behavior passed down within a group or society with symbolic meaning or special significance with origins in the past.[1][2] Common examples include holidays or impractical but socially meaningful clothes (like lawyer wigs or military officer spurs), but the idea has also been applied to social norms such as greetings. Traditions can persist and evolve for thousands of years—the word "tradition" itself derives from the Latin tradere or traderer literally meaning to transmit, to hand over, to give for safekeeping. While it is commonly assumed that traditions have ancient history, many traditions have been invented on purpose, whether that be political or cultural, over short periods of time. Certain scholarly fields, such as anthropology and biology, have adapted the term "tradition," defining it more precisely than its conventional use in order to facilitate scholarly discourse.
So this definition of tradition comes from Wikipedia if I'm not mistaken. "I rest my case your honour"

rosy23 said:
I have respect for all those you mention nitrous. I'd thrown in Michael Long too. A real positive for reconciliation without casting blame and resorting to negative behaviour towards non-indigenous Australians.

Maurice launched some pretty negative behaviour on Jacko's arse

The Mole said:
So this definition of tradition comes from Wikipedia if I'm not mistaken. "I rest my case your honour"

You shouldn't rest, you should have kept on reading...

The term "invention of tradition", introduced by E. J. Hobsbawm, refers to situations when a new practice or object is introduced in a manner that implies a connection with the past that is not necessarily present.[20] A tradition may be deliberately created and promulgated for personal, commercial, political, or national self-interest, as was done in colonial Africa; or it may be adopted rapidly based on a single highly publicized event, rather than developing and spreading organically in a population, as in the case of the white wedding dress, which only became popular after Queen Victoria wore a white gown at her wedding to Albert of Saxe-Coburg.[21]

An example of an invention of tradition is the rebuilding of the Palace of Westminster (location of the British Parliament) in the Gothic style.[20] Similarly, most of the traditions associated with monarchy of the United Kingdom, seen as rooted deep in history, actually date to 19th century.[12] Other examples include the invention of tradition in Africa and other colonial holdings by the occupying forces.[22] Requiring legitimacy, the colonial power would often invent a "tradition" which they could use to legitimize their own position. For example, a certain succession to a chiefdom might be recognized by a colonial power as traditional in order to favour their own candidates for the job. Often these inventions were based in some form of tradition, but were exaggerated, distorted, or biased toward a particular interpretation.

Invented traditions are a central component of modern national cultures, providing a commonality of experience and promoting the unified national identity espoused by nationalism.[23] Common examples include public holidays (particularly those unique to a particular nation), the singing of national anthems, and traditional national cuisine (see national dish). Expatriate and immigrant communities may continue to practice the national traditions of their home nation.

The Mole said:

I believe Wikipedia is a traditional source of information.

The Anzac Day Ess Coll match is an invented tradition.
To the extent that some believe no football was ever played on Anzac Day until 1995 or that this match has been played ever since the first Anzac Day.

tigersnake said:
Maurice launched some pretty negative behaviour on Jacko's arse

Maybe I didn't word my post clearly. As referred to I meant in regards to reconciliation rather than football wise. None of them casting blame threatening others or having a woe is me attitude.

Funny I got an almost identical message from your brother. One of hundreds he sends. I feel like I'm being tag teamed by brothers gollywog. :hihi

nitrotiger said:

Just saying what? That racism used to be accepted and or tolerated and players had to cop whatever came their way or be branded a troublemaker and probably sacked?

Nicky Winmar for one made his thoughts clear.

tigersnake said:
Nicky Winmar for one made his thoughts clear.

Indeed and he sent a far better message than Adam Goodes. He clearly showed he was black and proud of it. No blaming others for the past, no abuse, no lecturing. Goodes even tried to imitate Winmar's pointing to his skin once but it was a fizzer. Winmar's was a spontaneous action/reaction. Goodes' was pre-meditated for maximum effect.