Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 47 ~ Bradley Helbig

This is from inside footy:

"Brad did state screening and is an elite kick of the footy with both feet. Good pace, played one game of league footy this year and is very good overhead. Can play through the midfield and also go forward and be damaging. A powerful player"

West Adelaide Football Manager, Scott Turner

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Apparently when we called out Helbigs name a groan came from the Essendon camp.They were going to take him with pick 48.Makes it even sweeter considering they knocked back pick 47 for Houli. :clap :clap :clap

Yeah so just to be clear, the chase for Travis Cloke cost them Houli because they gave up on him and wanted him to go to the PSD so Richmond wouldn't pick Cloke, pick 47 and the bloke they wanted with that pick.

Said it before, say it again, Essendon 2010 are Richmond 2004.

ToraToraTora said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0xdMlKg2f8

For those ex-pats. No.63. Pacey. Seems to be going a million miles a hour the whole time.

Thanks for the link. Good speed and skill.

Shows a bit of courage and toughness.
"...was named 2nd best player for his side in the final after bravely playing through the final series with a fractured rib suffered a few weeks earlier..." (excerpt from his profile on RFC.com)

Dyer Disciple said:
Agree, they certainly tried to fix that this draft. Not sure they got most of their picks right though....

From the bios in the HS, all were listed as defenders with some experience in the midfield. I would say they have done a horrible job in addressing their midfield, particularly after knocking back our third rounder, Heppell is a great get but hardly a certainty to be a top line midfielder.

Dyer Disciple said:
Agree, they certainly tried to fix that this draft. Not sure they got most of their picks right though....

Did they? They didn't draft many midfielders. Odd draft for the Bombers.

bullus_hit said:
Heppell is a great get but hardly a certainty to be a top line midfielder.

Who is apart from Swallow? Heppell has just as much chance as anyone based on his past form.

GoodOne said:
Who is apart from Swallow? Heppell has just as much chance as anyone based on his past form.

Prestia and Atley look like they will slot right into the midfield, Steinberg was picked when Parker and Green were available, and Browne has played primarily as a defender at junior level.

bullus_hit said:
Prestia and Atley look like they will slot right into the midfield, Steinberg was picked when Parker and Green were available, and Browne has played primarily as a defender at junior level.

Heppell is a more likely bet in the midfield than Prestia or Atley. I wasn't commenting on who we picked, I was commenting on your claim that Heppell is no certainty to be a top line midfielder. None of them are.

GoodOne said:
Heppell is a more likely bet in the midfield than Prestia or Atley. I wasn't commenting on who we picked, I was commenting on your claim that Heppell is no certainty to be a top line midfielder. None of them are.

We'll have to agree to disagree, not to diminish Heppell who I think is fine prospect but I think he is the prototype rebounding flanker (much like I view Deledio) and Prestia, at his height will be probably be midfield or bust (see Rodan, Brad Harvey). As for Atley, it wouldn't surprise me to see him thrown straight in the middle from day one. Just my thoughts.

SCOOP said:
Yeah so just to be clear, the chase for Travis Cloke cost them Houli because they gave up on him and wanted him to go to the PSD so Richmond wouldn't pick Cloke, pick 47 and the bloke they wanted with that pick.

I hope they are more like Richmond 1983

SCOOP said:

No,we have been Essendon for the last 30 years while Esendon were Richmonised when they won those 4 flags under a Richmond coach. ;D

smasha said:
No,we have been Essendon for the last 30 years while Esendon were Richmonised when they won those 4 flags under a Richmond coach. ;D

history tends to repeat its self.... :)

If you watch the highlights on the RFC site (much better than the AFL ones) this blokes kicking is an absolute joy. Thumping accurate kicks with very little wind up.  If he can get it at AFL level he'll be a player because he can sure use it.

I don't blame Essendon at all for wanting him, if Jobe kicked like this bloke he'd be elite

Col.W.Kurtz said:
If you watch the highlights on the RFC site (much better than the AFL ones) this blokes kicking is an absolute joy. Thumping accurate kicks with very little wind up. If he can get it at AFL level he'll be a player because he can sure use it.

I don't blame Essendon at all for wanting him, if Jobe kicked like this bloke he'd be elite

Not suprising considering our kicking mantra.

I would say all our kids have very good to elite kicking skills.

Our kicking profiles would weed out anyone with bad kicking.

You are dead right though, he would be one of the elite kicks we got. A joy to watch indeed. Look forward to watching him progress. Has a few strings to his bow.

Tigerbob said:
You are dead right though, he would be one of the elite kicks we got. A joy to watch indeed. Look forward to watching him progress. Has a few strings to his bow.

Him and Conca are the ones I'm definitely most looking forward to seeing play next year

Wow, very true Col. Good decisions and beautiful kicks of all descriptions on both sides. Moves well too.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Him and Conca are the ones I'm definitely most looking forward to seeing play next year

He looks the part. Conca looks exceptional.

I think like this season we will see all of them and pretty early too. Macdonald is young but plays a role we lack. A medium goal kicking forward.