Pick 29: Shai Bolton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 29: Shai Bolton

Big Footy Tigercast latest:

Baker - Leaning to staying
Bolton - Massive offer (Dusty figures/longer term deal). Might be too hard to refuse unless we say no
Cadman in our sights

Hypothetical question. If Bolton plays as poorly again next week should he be dropped to send a message or is this type of action too late, have the standards in expectations for performance by senior players gone by the wayside due to our injuries and none are droppable anymore? Remember the great Richo was dropped once so it shouldn't be beyond any current player coz bar Dusty none are as good as Richo.

Reactions: 1 user
Boy u guys and girls love putting the boots in. Pathetic criticism of our most talented player.
He should be supported particularly given the decision to keep him forward when our midfield is getting smacked.
He should start in the midfield.

Not sure if u are responding to my post David. But my point is that he is being played out of position in the forward line and as a result of our poor midfield he is getting no help from that qr.

He should be a starting mid in every game, (which has long been my view).

Yeah, would have been your post, given Shai plays mainly small forward and sometimes in the middle I wasn't sure which you were referring to.

I suppose my question would be if he has the tank to play as a mid, I have doubts. Shai also tries to do too much, it is often that last attempt to swerve around an opponent where he gets caught. Plus, can he be the link going forward from defence?

Agree it is a thankless task in our forward line, but that kick on goal on the weekend was truly woeful. Set shot 30m out barely any angle and the kick was terrible. His ball drop is way too high and I figure he has been told this and refuses to change it.

Not impressed with Shai at the moment. Has lots of tricks but seems to be missing the basics.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, would have been your post, given Shai plays mainly small forward and sometimes in the middle I wasn't sure which you were referring to.

I suppose my question would be if he has the tank to play as a mid, I have doubts. Shai also tries to do too much, it is often that last attempt to swerve around an opponent where he gets caught. Plus, can he be the link going forward from defence?

Agree it is a thankless task in our forward line, but that kick on goal on the weekend was truly woeful. Set shot 30m out barely any angle and the kick was terrible. His ball drop is way too high and I figure he has been told this and refuses to change it.

Not impressed with Shai at the moment. Has lots of tricks but seems to be missing the basics.

DS
We are just too slow in the midfield. He doesn’t have the stamina to play a full game but he can win the ball and get it out, when there.
Graham, Hopper Taranto get smashed because they are just too slow. Shai is not helping his own reputation at the moment but set shots aside, he is our quickest and most talented. Patience required.

Hope we engineer 2 high draft picks and keep both Shai and Dan. Smillie and O’Sullivan look to be the stand outs and the way we are going, taking both seems possible.

The Cats have got a better player than Bolton a bloke by the name of Stengle. Got him dirt cheap from a couple of clubs who had grips on him. Can kick goals, creative, consistent and entering his prime. Why can't we find a Stengle.... oh hang on!!!

The Cats have got a better player than Bolton a bloke by the name of Stengle. Got him dirt cheap from a couple of clubs who had grips on him. Can kick goals, creative, consistent and entering his prime. Why can't we find a Stengle.... oh hang on!!!
Can’t do much when they’re out of contract and they want to go home.
Then want to get some Johnson’s baby powder and get delisted after a few misdemeanours.
Right call at the time for us.

Awesome BB.
Thanks 4 that.
Always wondered about your motives.
What about the reigning Premiers?
Thumbs down also like EssenDoom?

Now that that is clarified and to somewhat get this back on topic where you there yesterday?
What's your take on the vitriol directed towards $hai by your fellow baggers when he was lining up for Goal?
Long memory by fans after the Docherty showboating?
They've reached a new level of unbearable since winning last year's flag, so "smile" 'em. Then again, I'm tipping Carlton's fan base would be every bit as bad, if not worse if the club wins a grand final.

I was at the match - first time in ages I'd slummed it in the cold stands instead of liquoring up in a nice warm function. :LOL:

If you remember Blues' fans treatment of Darren Milburn for the rest of his career after he ironed out favourite son Steve Silvagni at Optus Oval in 2001 (Milburn's career ran a decade after that!) then the Shai Bolton thing should come as no surprise. The most passionate supporter bases have the longest memories, I suppose.

Granted, Bolton's lairising in front of Docherty two years ago isn't a patch on what Milburn did. Not even close. Milburn even clapped himself off the field in front of all the Carlton fans after SOS' eyes rolled back in his head.

I get the reaction with Milburn. I hated his guts too and gave it to him for a decade afterwards. But it's high time to build a bridge and get over the Bolton thing. I've never been part of that lynch mob.

They've reached a new level of unbearable since winning last year's flag, so "smile" 'em. Then again, I'm tipping Carlton's fan base would be every bit as bad, if not worse if the club wins a grand final.

I was at the match - first time in ages I'd slummed it in the cold stands instead of liquoring up in a nice warm function. :LOL:

If you remember Blues' fans treatment of Darren Milburn for the rest of his career after he ironed out favourite son Steve Silvagni at Optus Oval in 2001 (Milburn's career ran a decade after that!) then the Shai Bolton thing should come as no surprise. The most passionate supporter bases have the longest memories, I suppose.

Granted, Bolton's lairising in front of Docherty two years ago isn't a patch on what Milburn did. Not even close. Milburn even clapped himself off the field in front of all the Carlton fans after SOS' eyes rolled back in his head.

I get the reaction with Milburn. I hated his guts too and gave it to him for a decade afterwards. But it's high time to build a bridge and get over the Bolton thing. I've never been part of that lynch mob.
Cheers BB.
I think his nickname was "Basher" IIRC.
Obviously didn't get the nickname by accident.
We sort of bag the AFL for over-sanitising the game, but one good thing is behaviour like that has largely been stamped out.

You sound like a good person to have a Beer (or seven) with.

Cheers BB.
I think his nickname was "Basher" IIRC.
Obviously didn't get the nickname by accident.
We sort of bag the AFL for over-sanitising the game, but one good thing is behaviour like that has largely been stamped out.

You sound like a good person to have a Beer (or seven) with.
Milburn also slammed a young Shane Edwards into the ground and got off. Bloke was the definition of ‘dog’ as a player.

To be fair, the Stengle at Geelong is only a distant relative to the one we had

I don’t think so. Both games were against the Cats, but Cotchin’s was a day game at the G. Horrible weather. I’m pretty sure the Edwards incident was a night game.
Yep. You're right - both in 2008, Cotchin's first in Round 8 at G. Sling was Round 18 at Docklands.

You're right, Shai is quick -- when he's got the ball. Until he learns to run both ways with the same intensity, he's not going to be a regular midfielder.
which is why ive heard he cant play in their for long periods, besides not having the tank, he's really poor defensively, and gets exposed badly by oppo mids the other way.