Open Mike | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Open Mike

Amazing athlete. The interview was interesting as a younger tiger fan I had thought he was a recluse who was a bit aloof. However he seemed to be more matter of fact. Very black and white and tried to be modest but when pushed he would tell his honest opinion.

The greatest story I heard was when coming off the ground after a few seasons at the tigers he looked up at the scoreboard and couldn't read it so he asked another player "whats the score?" and the player said "Royce look up there mate" and Royce replied "I can't read it though" after that he got contact lenses. The bloke had destroyed opposition teams and couldn't even see the ball!

Peter Schwab's on tonight.

I wonder if Sheahan will ask him why he refused to coach us after Jeans stepped down.

TigerForce said:
Peter Schwab's on tonight.

I wonder if Sheahan will ask him why he refused to coach us after Jeans stepped down.
I didn't know that he refused.

Looking forward to this one.

His 1989 GF suspension should be interesting, as will his fall-out with Hawthorn.

Remember in the 2004 pre-season when Schwab said that Hawks would win the flag. Led to his demise just as Ratten's top four statement and Terry Wallace's five year plan.

tigertim said:
I didn't know that he refused.

Unless I've got my wires crossed, I remember he was offered the coaching job when Jeans became ill and retired at the end of 1992 but decided to remain assistant and thus the job given to Northey. It came across a bit like the 'I don't belong here' or the 'there's no way I wanna coach this club' type of attitude.

I could be wrong.

Tough interview to watch towards the end. Wouldn't wish that sort of pain on any parent. Geez.

BluesBloke said:
Tough interview to watch towards the end. Wouldn't wish that sort of pain on any parent. Geez.

Agree. I'm not sure why Sheahan asks a non-football related personal question like that.

I completely understand it wasn't for everyone, but I LOVED listening to Rex and his crew, the crazier it was the more I enjoyed it.
There was a golden era when it was Rex and Sam, it was hilarious (to me anyway). On Sunday's he would do this fake race call, it was a scream.
All that got stopped when 2 or 3 boring old farts complained. What a shame. The humour of it all got me through a dark period for the tigers too ;D
On the other hand, Rexy's fishing stuff doesn't interest me cos it's too serious !

Nicky Winmar and Gilbert McAdam tonight.

I always applaud Nicky for showing his skin right on the sacred land of the ferals.

Nice interview. Loved watching Nicky Winmar, Gilbert had his moments too, once when I watched him destroy us at the Gabba playing for the Bears, but Nicky was the man. Some great highlights, from the famous Collingwood game and some long torp goals and speccies. Laughed when he said Brereton owed him 10 weeks wages. NM was no robot.

tigersnake said:
Nice interview. Loved watching Nicky Winmar. Some great highlights, from the famous Collingwood game and some long torp goals and speccies. Laughed when he said Brereton owed him 10 weeks wages. NM was no robot.

Same here. I always wished he was ours. Great leap.

I laughed when he said he was glad Victoria Park had cages around the ground :hihi

Sad to hear he lost his dad (1 day before the 1997 GF) and his brother in their early 50s due to a heart attack. He's had chest pains now at 48 and don't forget Maurice Rioli passing away at the same age and in the same way.

Geez...worrying signs for the indigenous blokes.

TigerForce said:
Same here. I always wished he was ours. Great leap.

I laughed when he said he was glad Victoria Park had cages around the ground :hihi

Sad to hear he lost his dad (1 day before the 1997 GF) and his brother in their early 50s due to a heart attack. He's had chest pains now at 48 and don't forget Maurice Rioli passing away at the same age and in the same way.

Geez...worrying signs for the indigenous blokes.

Yeah, They reckon you make your own luck in footy, St K lost both their rucks and Winmar's dad dies the night before the GF. I was surprised to see Sheahan so surprised that Nicky's dad was only 50 when he died, sadly, thats not unusual for a blackfella.

Another great interview by Mike.

Winmar was a real champion of the game.Time washes away the memories a bit but it was good to see the footage again.
That goal he kicked at the G threading the ball through a gap the size of a needle hole was sublime.

smasha said:
Another great interview by Mike.

Winmar was a real champion of the game.Time washes away the memories a bit but it was good to see the footage again.
That goal he kicked at the G threading the ball through a gap the size of a needle hole was sublime.

Just watching footage of ANY game in the 90s was great smasha. ;D

tigersnake said:
Gilbert had his moments too, once when I watched him destroy us at the Gabba playing for the Bears, but Nicky was the man.

Wasn't McAdam a North player before Saints?

That was his younger Brother Adrian, burst onto the scene kicking big bags, one of 11, unstoppable, then faded quickly. Don't think he even played a full season.

EDIT: wikid him. Debuted against us 93, kicked 7, then 10, then 6, still holds the record for most goals in first 3 games. 6 footer playing at the feet of Carey and Longmire. Played 36 games. Very good cricketer too apparently, fast bowler.

TigerForce said:
Just watching footage of ANY game in the 90s was great smasha. ;D

Wasn't McAdam a North player before Saints?

No that was Adrian McAdam. His brother (?) That kicked 7 goals on debut against us. And then kicked 9 or 10 against the Pies at Vic Park

Oh yes.... Adrian his bro. Geez...forgot about him. Took some nice speccies too.

my 2 players i idolised in the nineties g ablett and nicky winmar , felt gutted for him when the saints lost the grand final and his dad passing away a day before wouldhave loved him to be a premiership player,met him afew times really nice person, when i think about it .so many champions of the game who gave everything to their clubs to win a flag but never got there, feel sorry for them.