Open Mike | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Open Mike

rosy23 said:
Open Mike is the best program on Foxtel. Mike does a great job. The interviews are always very interesting, entertaining and informative.

I was happy to hear Royce's explanation about putting himself at CHF in his best team in his book. Even though it was probably true it came across as a bit self-centred...not the Aussie way.

(Paraphrasing alert) For those who didn't see the program Royce said he was asked to list a team of the best players he'd like to play with, thus he had to be in it to be able to play with them.

There was great warmth and humour in the interview. A far cry from the reclusive, live on his own glory kind of picture that's been painted of Royce.

A brilliant player in a wonderful Tiger era.

The media again making false accusations about Richmond when as you said he listed players he would like to play with.

P.S. On SEN this morning,they had a radio snippet of talk about Cotchin from Footy Classified and they put a bit of Lids discussion in it,when Lloyd said "he(Lids) looked the lowest I've seen"(because it sounded more damning).

Disgrace.

Huddo corrected what was said later but the way they put it together,they made it sound like the comment was made about Cotchin.

Back to Royce.

How good was the footage of his marking and early in his career he said he always used the torpedo when kicking.

That Richmond team paved the way for the modern game we have today because we were the first team to employ proper training methods through Tommy Hafey.

Without the dodgy umpires and interpretations of course.

LOL@ Mal Brown asking Royce where is a good spot to start a brawl(Windy Hill massacre 1974).

Hart>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Carey.

Revolution>>>>>>>>>>>>>evolution.

smasha said:
The media again making false accusations about Richmond when as you said he listed players he would like to play with.

I wouldn't blame the media.

It's been discussed by us Tiger supporters on here smasha. Nobody, from my recollection, clarified or questioned it. I have the book and I certainly was of the impression that he'd named himself in his team of bests.

This is from an article by Tiger Tony Greenberg. Sorry I didn't include a link when I posted it on PRE in 2002. Tony refers to it as Royce's "perfect side" rather than a team of the best players he'd like to play with.

Right On Royce

Tony Greenberg
9:34:37 AM Wed 1 May, 2002
"The Royce Hart Story", published in 1970, caused quite a stir in football circles at the time due to the forthright comments of its author, the brilliant Richmond centre half-forward.
Hart had just completed his third season of VFL football with the Tigers when he wrote the book, which today has become something of a sporting collector's item.
Most of the publicity surrounding the book at the time revolved around Royce Desmond naming himself at centre half-forward in his "perfect side." He copped some flak for being so bold and brash as to do that at age 21, and with only three years' experience in the big time.
Indeed, there were those critics who seriously questioned Hart's credentials to write his football life story so early in his league career.
It didn't take long, however, for Hart to silence his knockers. By 1972, he was Richmond's captain, and by the end of the 1974 season, he had led the Tigers in superb style to back-to-back premierships.
When he retired midway through the 1977 season, he had 187 games, 369 goals, four premierships and two Best and Fairests to his credit, plus the acclamation of the football world as one of the greatest players in the history of the game.
In 1996, Hart was inducted into the AFL's Hall of Fame. Three years later, he was named at centre half-forward in Richmond's Team of the Century. Then, on the eve of the 2002 season, he became one of 24 inaugural inductees into the Tigers Hall of Fame.
Safe to say, therefore, that Royce has more than justified his place in his own best-ever team. Perhaps he had foreseen his own greatness -- just as he'd accurately foreshadowed, in The Royce Hart Story, so many of the changes that would take place in league football over the years.
While recently browsing through the book (my autographed copy, which has taken pride of place in my library since 1970), I was amazed at how many of Royce's suggested improvements to the competition had taken place.
Here's an example . . .

Amazing to think he only played 187 games considering the impact and the legend that he is to us. By comparison, Lids has played 178 games to date.

One of my all time favourite Open mike's

Top 3 open mikes

Royce hart, Dermie & Aker

zippadeee said:
Map brown picked up a can thrown at him and opened the door and hit the bloke over the head with it.
Th stories these bloke have a fantastic to listen to.
A genuine bloke, funny and honest
I wish we could hear some of the really old guys tell their stories. Mopsy Fraser made Mal Brown look like a wimp.

His mark in the 67 GF was miles better than Jezza's, which gets remembered more because of Mike Williamson's call and the legend of the comeback.

My old man ranks him the best player he's ever seen (my uncle reckons Baldock shaded him). That Essendon flog Connolly re-did the Team of the Century a few years ago and not only replaced Royce with Carey at CHF, but dropped him from the side altogether. Found room on a flank for Hird though.

23.21.159 said:
Can't be viewed outside Australia. I hope somebody YouTubes it.

It was great 59, he was totally self possessed and philosophical. Good rapport between him and Sheahan. Just brought a smile to your face. How was that about teaching himself the droppy after his torps weren't accurate enough? Amazing

spook said:
His mark in the 67 GF was miles better than Jezza's, which gets remembered more because of Mike Williamson's call and the legend of the comeback.
Several marks rank better than Jezza's, and you're right, it is more remembered for the call and the context of the game. Could think of a few other marks that has it beaten...Moorcroft for one.

Hart's was impressive too - amazing a bloke of his height can leap that high and get so high off the ground.

Not sure why Hart's mark would suffer compared to Jezza's in regards to match context ... Hart's was taken something like 20 minutes into the last quarter of a Grand Final with the scores level !

23.21.159 said:
Not sure why Hart's mark would suffer compared to Jezza's in regards to match context ... Hart's was taken something like 20 minutes into the last quarter of a Grand Final with the scores level !

Yep, even more so when you see the interview, he went for the exact same mark in the exact same stuation a couple of minutes earlier and it went over his head and down the guts for an opposition goal. He had to take that mark, and he took it.

(moorcrofts marks was an obvious push in the back, I hate that mark, any number of better marks with no hands for a boost up, Jezzas was a bewdy obviously. Royce rate Doull as his greatest opponent who beat him in a losing GF)

Royce mentioned he did some High-Jump at School so when playing footy, he tried to give himself 3 to 4 metres to fly across the park when marking.
He doesn't travel to the main land due to his back back.
I noticed how low he held the footy when kicked the drop punt and he also played for the Vics after a handful of games where he kicked a bag of goals against Western Australia.

If there are any other ex-pats out there looking for this, I've found part two at http://video.adelaidenow.com.au/2383672741/Open-Mike-Royce-Hart-interview-part-two
Can't find part one, though.

23.21.159 said:
If there are any other ex-pats out there looking for this, I've found part two at http://video.adelaidenow.com.au/2383672741/Open-Mike-Royce-Hart-interview-part-two
Can't find part one, though.

There are places where Open Mike can be found every week. Same sort of places that provide replays of all matches and footy shows. Sites we don't mention in public.

I wish I had have seen him play.

Take me back in time to 1974. Now as a Tiger that would be fun.