Open Mike | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Open Mike

Merveille said:
It is supposed to be self-indulgent and introspective. The questions were certainly framed that way. They have all been introspective. Bit harsh on Rex I think.
Yeh maybe - but I reckon some of it was put on and not a really introspective interview. Just don't think Rexy's a particularly genuine sort of fella.

TigerForce said:
REMINDER: Royce Hart on Monday May 6.

About time they have someone from us
KB would be a top open mike!

My wish list
Geoff Raines
David cloke
Tony jewell

zippadeee said:

My wish list
Geoff Raines
David cloke
Tony jewell
Rexy was a good Open Mike Zip !! KB would be crying for 90% of the show !

zippadeee said:

My wish list
Geoff Raines
David cloke
Tony jewell

Dont worry zips, they will all get a run in his doco Richmond The Lost Years im sure.

GoodOne said:
You other loved or hated Rex. Since we're being open and honest I have to say I hated his commentary.

Agree with the first part you either loved or hated him. I enjoyed his commentary at first but it just went further and further over the top you didn't know the scores where the ball was on the ground and most of the time he came up with some idiotic names for players so you also didn't know who he was talking about started to dislike him pretty quickly and then there were other little things that all just added up to my thinking he is a moron.

Loved listening to Rexy. Added a lot of a colour and entertainment to the call. Remember the old "Wagons hooooooooooo" and when the kept playing the Ron Barassi comment "I've only ever smoked one marijuana cigarette, maybe two..." . Some more Rexisms:

* "11.11.77....Loooooooord Nelson!!"
*"8.8.56....Brottthhhherrrrr!!"
*"Liiiiistennn to the faaannnsss!!"

Taken as a kind of post-modern satire of the nature of sports commentary itself, Rex was gold. If you were actually trying to follow the game, you were better off with the Tobin Brothers.

Bought the book of Open Mike. Probably my favourite show on TV at the moment.

Legend that is all.
Should be a statue outside the G.

No BS footballer like that whole Tiger era.

smasha said:
Legend that is all.
Should be a statue outside the G.

No BS footballer like that whole Tiger era.

I've been asking for years as to why he's not a 'legend'??

His got a great sense of humour. Shame I was too young to see him play live.

Map brown picked up a can thrown at him and opened the door and hit the bloke over the head with it.
Th stories these bloke have a fantastic to listen to.
A genuine bloke, funny and honest

Great show about a truly great iconic player, ahead of his time in many ways. Will love the Tigers until I'm gone and as an ex but still proud Tasmanian love the fact that some of my favorite RFC players have originated from my old State - Hart, Roach, Richo & Riewoldt.

Open Mike is the best program on Foxtel. Mike does a great job. The interviews are always very interesting, entertaining and informative.

I was happy to hear Royce's explanation about putting himself at CHF in his best team in his book. Even though it was probably true it came across as a bit self-centred...not the Aussie way.

(Paraphrasing alert) For those who didn't see the program Royce said he was asked to list a team of the best players he'd like to play with, thus he had to be in it to be able to play with them.

There was great warmth and humour in the interview. A far cry from the reclusive, live on his own glory kind of picture that's been painted of Royce.

A brilliant player in a wonderful Tiger era.