Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Only watched the first three qtrs, had to catch a train for the real stuff at the G. I'm of the same opinion as Gehring, Moju did very little effective with the pill.
Worked hard n tried a lot, but that's about it.
Thinking the best possible option for Moju's footy development is simply to play magoos for the rest of the season. Preferably on the ball and just have as much fun as possible chasing some footy around, without the heat n pressure of senior level scrutiny. Kid looks to me like he's trying way to hard to do as much as he possibly can during games and it's scrambling his thinking processes.
Needs to embrace the old KISS principle and play some games for the sheer enjoyment of footy, then put in a big pre season and start fresh next year.
Sounds a lot like me trying to play golf!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Sounds a lot like me trying to play golf!
Got a couple of brothers that play golf. For some weird reason, if they manage to have a decent hole or two in a row. They start channeling their inner Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus thought processes. Needless to say their games always turn to *smile* in a hurry and they spend the rest of the round cursing n slingin clubs. Then they spend hours bullshitting about how good they played for all of one or two holes.
Flog, erm sorry I mean Golf, bloody good way to stuff up a pleasant weekend stroll.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Got a couple of brothers that play golf. For some weird reason, if they manage to have a decent hole or two in a row. They start channeling their inner Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus thought processes. Needless to say their games always turn to *smile* in a hurry and they spend the rest of the round cursing n slingin clubs. Then they spend hours bullshitting about how good they played for all of one or two holes.
Flog, erm sorry I mean Golf, bloody good way to stuff up a pleasant weekend stroll.
It's a good way of having a stroll with ya mates and having a beer after though

Played midfield, Steve Morris Report.

Maurice Rioli (23 disposals, 13 contested possessions, seven tackles, six clearances)

"He led us for contested possessions, tackles and clearances. He played on ball for the majority of the day and provided us with plenty of pressure in and around the footy. It was great to see him show his strengths further up the field."

Reactions: 5 users
If MRJ had anywhere near Stengles talent, he wouldn’t be playing VFL.
Not even close, although MRJ has him for speed.
Stengle - pick 6 in 17 Rookie Draft. Not sure that screams massive talent?
Played VFL reserves first half of 2017
Played 2 senior games
Didn't get a game in 2018
Played 14 games for the Crows in 2 years

Over a 4 year period he played 16 games.

No AFL club took a chance on him in 2021.

The Cats took a punt on him and his 2022 was remarkable (in the context of his previous form).

I'm not sure how you copuld say MRJ was nowhere near this guys talent? He's shown just as many flashes as Stengle did.

Reactions: 2 users
Stengle - pick 6 in 17 Rookie Draft. Not sure that screams massive talent?
Played VFL reserves first half of 2017
Played 2 senior games
Didn't get a game in 2018
Played 14 games for the Crows in 2 years

Over a 4 year period he played 16 games.

No AFL club took a chance on him in 2021.

The Cats took a punt on him and his 2022 was remarkable (in the context of his previous form).

I'm not sure how you copuld say MRJ was nowhere near this guys talent? He's shown just as many flashes as Stengle did.
You do know that Stengle made AA last year don’t you?
And destroyed us with 4 goals when we played them last year which should stick in your memory.
Richmond actually wanted to keep him but he got a better offer from Adelaide and was behind a few established small forwards at the time. Like Butler,Rioli and George.
Doesn’t matter where he’s come from ( look where Baker and Lambert were drafted ) and what happened in the past, Stengel is twice the player talent wise.
Let’s be totally serious here. MRJ fumbles and often spends the ball before taking possession, constantly falls over and can’t kick a goal to save his life. He’s future is as a pressure forward only as he doesn’t possess the skills for much else and will be over taken by others unless something dramatically changes.
You’re confusing endeavour and speed with talent.

Reactions: 1 users
Played midfield, Steve Morris Report.

Maurice Rioli (23 disposals, 13 contested possessions, seven tackles, six clearances)

"He led us for contested possessions, tackles and clearances. He played on ball for the majority of the day and provided us with plenty of pressure in and around the footy. It was great to see him show his strengths further up the field."
The contested possessions & clearances stat is of most interest for those who say he can't win his own ball. Glass half full.

Reactions: 5 users
The contested possessions & clearances stat is of most interest for those who say he can't win his own ball. Glass half full.
It's good they have taken him back to the VFL and into the midfield.
He needs to stay there for the rest of the year and not only rebuild his confidence, but learn to consistently win his own ball.
The trouble then is what he does with it.
Ball butchers don't play AFL.

Reactions: 3 users
Just read MRJ is on the 12 day concussion protocol after a training incident.

• Sad
It's good they have taken him back to the VFL and into the midfield.
He needs to stay there for the rest of the year and not only rebuild his confidence, but learn to consistently win his own ball.
The trouble then is what he does with it.
Ball butchers don't play AFL.
He needs to learn composure......from there the rest can start to get better.......needs to keep his legs running fast, but slow his mind down.

He needs to take the first option.
Always tries to beat an opponent. Last weekend he even tried an U/12s handball over his head that went straight to the opposition after he ran himself into trouble. Again.
Perhaps one day he’ll be stronger and faster and be able to work his way out of the tight spaces but at the moment he needs to stick with the basics

Reactions: 1 users
Breaking News
————————

Caesar did you notice MRJ out there today?

Did you see any incident at training?

Attachments

• 9AE30F79-5F0A-43DE-8B3B-7D85714D7748.jpeg
    9AE30F79-5F0A-43DE-8B3B-7D85714D7748.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 28
I saw today a kid who is a midfielder. His ability in the 3rd quarter to change the course of the game was great to see. He hunted the opposition and hurt them on the turnover. 12 tackles 4 direct score involvements.

Reactions: 18 users
I saw today a kid who is a midfielder. His ability in the 3rd quarter to change the course of the game was great to see. He hunted the opposition and hurt them on the turnover. 12 tackles 4 direct score involvements.
Agree
Needs to build his tank over preseason and in 2024 become a permanent mid
No more of the defensive forward nonsense

Reactions: 7 users
Yep. First half of the game Moju was bog average then somehow, something went click and he was involved in everything. Hunted the ball, hunted the oppo, scrapped, scraped and chipped the ball forward and brought his team mates into the game. Had a massive influence in and under and turned the game in our favour.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users