Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Big aerobic summer ahead. Can’t come back out of shape this year. Has looked good in midfield at VFL level, time to try it at AFL. Steely Green has midfield ability too. Would be good to already have some ready made rovers.
We are crying out for midfielders. But from what I’ve seen, MJ would need about 3 aerobic summers. I don’t think 1 would cut it

Reactions: 1 user
Big aerobic summer ahead. Can’t come back out of shape this year. Has looked good in midfield at VFL level, time to try it at AFL. Steely Green has midfield ability too. Would be good to already have some ready made rovers.

Yeah that’s pretty much what everyone said last year too.

Until he builds a tank, AFL midfield is a pipe dream. If that’s where people want him to play, cameos aren’t enough for a player coming into his 5th year on the list.

Here’s hoping he can do it.

Reactions: 2 users
A few big pre seasons and he could potentially plug the part time midfielder hole left by Bolton though. Obviously not as dynamic as Shai in the air of course. Worth a thought though

Spends the entire summer with the midfield group. Get him under Tarrantos wing.
Get him to stay the *smile* away from Taranto.

Maurice is a Midfielder. You get double the benefit from playing him there. Not only can he break out of the centre and create, he doesn't give the opposition any easy clearances.

Absolute gold.

Maurice is a Midfielder. You get double the benefit from playing him there. Not only can he break out of the centre and create, he doesn't give the opposition any easy clearances.

Absolute gold.
I missed 2nd half of VFL. Was he really good in midfield?

Reactions: 1 users

Absolute gold.
I meant from a fitness perspective.

Good to hear/ read his disposal was balanced and well executed.

No excuses this pre season to not come back fit , club has just backed him in with a 2 year deal , must be flying come round 1 against the Blues

Last edited:
Just thinking about all this " tank " requirement for midfielders n it's a bit of a misnomer for modern footy. All players require a certain amount of tank for footy, especially mids. But there's also always a need for players with an explosive burst that can open up contests n games. Christ how often have we sat around bitching n moaning that we're stagnant, slow n got no mids with that first step or two to break free of congestion apart from Shai????

For now there's no way I'm gunna claim he's anywhere near as good as, simply that he appears a similar type of player to a bloke called Dane Swan. Chunky build, not much tank, could spray the ball a bit. Bloody tough to tackle, explosive game opening burst play as long as he got his rotations, hard at the contests n always created a bit of chaos n mayhem around the contested ball. We definitely need some of what he can bring to a midfield, it's being wasted at small forward. Only turns 22 in a few weeks time so with another pre season under the belt this summer it might be time to expand Moju's role at the club, it certainly can't go any worse than this years results.