Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Cant see the issue for him to have rotations in the middle at AFL. An AFL midfield is more than just the guys who start there, its a much bigger group than people appreciate, and can certainly be part of that group whilst also playing/resting/rotating forward.

Reactions: 6 users
They should be desperate to try him elsewhere because he has done sfa as a forward.

No more excuses for Junior time to put up next year or get delisted.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
They should be desperate to try him elsewhere because he has done sfa as a forward.

Do you reckon you could try posting something positive occasionally? Just a thought.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Obviously didn't watch him earlier in the year, he took a massive step up at AFL level this year, then got injured. Sunday wasn't the 1st time we've seen him do things like that, he was doing it in the AFL team too, just not as consistently as he did on Sunday.

Reactions: 3 users
I remember watching him in the warm up at Carrara before opening round and was astounded at some of his bullet passes into fwd 50. Then we started seeing it in games and now still seeing it at VFL level since being back from injury.

Just need him growing his disposal numbers from the 15 mark to the 20+ mark and we have a dangerous mid.

Reactions: 4 users
He is marked generously due to his name whilst also being marked harshly for the same.
Currently he is a bit of an enigma - worth finding out whether his best can be more consistent. Hope so.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's the thing,
His kicking is ambitious. He tries to hit up the attacking, creative option.

He used to flub a lot of them.

Now he's nailing more of them. But it will still lead to some horrendous turnovers at times. We have to be okay with that.

He also used to take on 3 tacklers. Now he's taking on two. He will still hold the ball too long at times. But in his head, he's his dad. One he's fully figured out his limitations, he will be extremely valuable.
I'd be encouraging him to get fitter, stronger and lube up like Dan. He'll be able to take on 7 tacklers easily.

Reactions: 1 user
from memory his AFL form pre-injury was career-best wasn't it?

Genuinely not sure if I've forgotten or the ones being negative have

Reactions: 7 users
from memory his AFL form pre-injury was career-best wasn't it?

Genuinely not sure if I've forgotten or the ones being negative have
I thought the same. The injury was very badly timed. We’re lucky he seems to have returned ready to go.

Reactions: 3 users
Can't wait to see what he is capable of if, and it's a big if, he gets super fit.
Doubt he's ever gunna be a " super " fit player that runs up and down the ground all day. But he can be a deadly burst player hunting ball or opponent around the pack congestion.

Reactions: 2 users
Obviously didn't watch him earlier in the year, he took a massive step up at AFL level this year, then got injured. Sunday wasn't the 1st time we've seen him do things like that, he was doing it in the AFL team too, just not as consistently as he did on Sunday.
Seen enough of him to know he has had two good games this year. The rest typical Junior games. Career best form maybe but still not good enough consistently.
You wan't to say he has improved on the back of two games good for you, but you are clearly not watching games and are commenting more out of hope than reality.

For me he is yet to prove himself anywhere near consistently enough at the level and at age 22 and a small the clock is well and truly ticking.
A constant criticism over the duration at AFL level has been just how fumbly he is and how average his disposal has been.

Not a lot has changed imo some minimal improvement with the odd good game still leaves him below standard.

Make or break season for me im happy for them to give him another season and see what happens. I am hoping he can have a break out SEASON.
List management eh two years to a 22yo who has shown so little. Are the wheels falling off down there.

He is marked generously due to his name whilst also being marked harshly for the same.
Currently he is a bit of an enigma - worth finding out whether his best can be more consistent. Hope so.
this i think is apt.

Seen enough of him to know he has had two good games this year. The rest typical Junior games. Career best form maybe but still not good enough consistently.
You wan't to say he has improved on the back of two games good for you, but you are clearly not watching games and are commenting more out of hope than reality.

For me he is yet to prove himself anywhere near consistently enough at the level and at age 22 and a small the clock is well and truly ticking.
A constant criticism over the duration at AFL level has been just how fumbly he is and how average his disposal has been.

Not a lot has changed imo some minimal improvement with the odd good game still leaves him below standard.

Make or break season for me im happy for them to give him another season and see what happens. I am hoping he can have a break out SEASON.
List management eh two years to a 22yo who has shown so little. Are the wheels falling off down there.

Fair enough.
You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't share it.
Isn't that what this site is all about, people expressing their thoughts. I find it interesting hearing others thoughts on the various topics.
Don't always agree with a lot of them, but ce la vie.

Excuse me!! I go to every game in Melbourne. Who do you think you are to tell me that I'm not watching games. I've read plenty from you on here that suggests that you don't watch games, or just watch on TV as you don't seem to see any of the off the ball work that so many players do but whatever.

Junior has taken a massive step forward this year, he was certainly playing better than he ever has before. Wants to take the dangerous corridor kick (guess what, that can sometimes make his disposal look poor, I assume you were also 1 that bagged Shedda out for this before other players - and fans - caught up to his brilliance) and is now executing. Seems to be taking a lot more risks since Yze has come in hence the step up IMO. Dimma for all his qualities, pigeon holed players too easily and I reckon Junior was told to run and pressure and don't worry about the rest but with Yze he appears to have been told to get involved more, and take aggressive options.

What I like about Junior is he's not afraid to take that dangerous kick and if he misses, he doesn't let his head drop. I think it may have been the Swans game, in the 1st half he tried to make those kicks and missed several (I think his DE% was something like 20% in the 1st half), but he kept taking the aggressive option in the 2nd half and he started hitting those targets opening the whole ground up.

We aren't seeing the finished article at all, but for a guy who has played 35 games we shouldn't be expecting to, and if you are already writing him off, you obviously allowed that opinion, but don't try telling others (who do watch games live and in person) that they aren't seeing what you seem to think you see.

Reactions: 5 users