Matthew McDonough | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew McDonough

McDonough was never given a decent run at it in his natural position as a forward. Whether he would have made it or not - who knows - but the fact that he was never afforded this opportunity is what is being argued here.

Carter said:
Modern footy has ruined these types of players.

Coaches like Dimma think they need 16 mids to rotate through the guts.

West Coast still plays Le Cras. Fremantle play Walters. Hawthorn play Poppy, Cyril and Breust.

Madonna was unacceptably fat but he was never played in his natural position.

I'm over Dimma's treatment of these blokes. Lennon still undecided and Hawthorn into McBean.

Wow!! I've not seen anything of McDonough to put him anywhere near those guys. Maybe the footy smarts, but not fit enough or quick enough to keep with them and ultimately I would think it was fitness that cost him his spot on the list.

Mappa said:
So your now putting Madonna into the Le Cras, Walters, Poppy Cyril Bruest class.

Please send me a shipping container of whatever you are smoking

And sorry you have some facts on the Hawthorn into McBean statement.

We're talkin' roles here I thought?

Our best genuine small forward is Titch but Dimma likes to run him through mid.

So unless we have Breust, Le Cras et al, yeah, I'm talking about mcdonagh.

You know. The guy never trialled in his best position.

Lift dude. You're sinking fast.

MickyD will need doubt go on to do great things in the SANFL or some other second tier completion, secure in the knowledge that he could have been an AFL premiership player but for the running imperialist dogs that are Hardwick and Clark

I think he was stiff. I think it was a courtesy delisting so he can get to the club of his choice. My feeling is he'll be on an AFL list next year.

Proof is in they pudding. Let's see if he gets picked up by another club out not. If he does then let's see how he goes.

History would indicate his AFL career is over. Just not good enough.

antman said:
MickyD will need doubt go on to do great things in the SANFL or some other second tier completion, secure in the knowledge that he could have been an AFL premiership player but for the running imperialist dogs that are Hardwick and Clark
I dont think most people posting on here really think that though. Its more that we never got to see him play in the position he was most comfortable and drafted in at AFL level. It was a shame we didnt as he may have turned out to be a decent player in that role, but now I guess we'll never know.

Baloo said:
Proof is in they pudding. Let's see if he gets picked up by another club out not. If he does then let's see how he goes.

History would indicate his AFL career is over. Just not good enough.

The club has got this one wrong. He will go to another club, and star.

Not sure what Andy Collins has to do with anything. I never complained about that. Plus, that was a trade. There was some benefit to it. This is simply more error of judgement from the club which ended it's season with some extreme errors in judgement.

Yep Rancey. To me his non-selection says there are certain non-negotitiable things he did not or could not do. We all know that raw talent is not enough. Discipline both physical and mental is another key factor. Sometimes it's desire.

I reckon if he couldn't even get picked he wouldn't have made it. The only way we'll ever know that is if he succeeds at another AFL club.

Maybe we'll never know.

Its a strange one as he was getting good numbers in the 2s and just wasn't getting picked...

The fact he was delisted and not traded i think shows he doesn't have a lot of current market value..

Hope he makes it somewhere but the odds would be against him being picked up!

antman said:
Yep Rancey. To me his non-selection says there are certain non-negotitiable things he did not or could not do. We all know that raw talent is not enough. Discipline both physical and mental is another key factor. Sometimes it's desire.

I reckon if he couldn't even get picked he wouldn't have made it. The only way we'll ever know that is if he succeeds at another AFL club.

Maybe we'll never know.
Another poster mentioned him earlier, but McDonough reminds me a lot of Helbig, talked up for his performances at VFL level and had potential, but never realised it at AFL level. Some just can't take that step.

antman said:

Maybe we'll never know.
Yep thats fair enough. His performances at VFL level to me appeared to certainly warrant an extended opportunity at AFL level. I'm not however privy to information regarding fitness levels, so perhaps he just wasnt fit enough to run out an entire match at AFL level (and therefore wasnt picked).

Fair bit of speculating required I guess!